Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife and I did a little hike yesterday on the Appalachian Trail.

We started at the Dover Oak and went West to a viewpoint.

The Dover Oak is the largest tree on the trail, estimated to be over 300 years old and over 22 feet in circumference. It is actually in Pawling NY, Dover is further North.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_101438306_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220910_101438306_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220910_101456005.jpg
    IMG_20220910_101456005.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220910_105800365_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220910_105800365_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220910_105839043_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220910_105839043_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220910_105850262_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220910_105850262_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
It was a 3 hour drive home from Upstate NY (near Utica) to my home in Brewster with that large deer tied on top of my Pinto Station Wagon!

As I slowed down to go through construction sites, you would see a guy rapping the guy next to him on the arm, then he would point, and then they would both be giving me a thumbs up. Ditto with folks passing me on the road.

It was an invigorating ride home! That deer dressed at about 175 lbs. He was big.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for hunters in highly populated small states.I imagine punching a tag on public land must take a lot of time and work in the field! 👍 Especially for a B&C class animal on public land! I don't mean to rub anything in here, but a trophy class Blacktial or Moose in AK or Canada. Can possibly go its entire life and never see a person. Those Whitetails in the mid west and east coast can be extremely hard to hunt from what I hear!!! Especially once any particular animal has been hunted once or twice! They learn quick in populated areas with lots of hunting pressure Im sure. Just like any game animal any where in the world that gets a lot of pressure! Thats all I was trying to get at. So once again let me say. Nice animal and congratulations on a hunt well done! 👍

I have a tremendous amount of respect for hunters in highly populated small states.I imagine punching a tag on public land must take a lot of time and work in the field! 👍 Especially for a B&C class animal on public land! I don't mean to rub anything in here, but a trophy class Blacktial or Moose in AK or Canada. Can possibly go its entire life and never see a person. Those Whitetails in the mid west and east coast can be extremely hard to hunt from what I hear!!! Especially once any particular animal has been hunted once or twice! They learn quick in populated areas with lots of hunting pressure Im sure. Just like any game animal any where in the world that gets a lot of pressure! Thats all I was trying to get at. So once again let me say. Nice animal and congratulations on a hunt well done! 👍
You got that right. Especially true when there's a fair amount of private land mixed into vast areas of piss-poor, marginal-at-best state owned deer habitat. In my neck of the woods, 140 class bucks are tough to come by, and I suspect a lot of them are shot out out the back window of hunting camps with the aid of a spotlight.

Good morning guys. Going to take myself for some more duck hunting and then take it easy for the rest of the day. Supposed to meet a friend for dinner and I need to clean my house (in anticipation of the cleaning lady coming over tomorrow) lol
Man your season opens early. Ours doesn't until around Nov 10th. Stays open until Jan 10th. what your season dates?

I was in the US on September the 11, business trip. I was in a place called Greenville, about 40 minutes outside Dallas on the I30. I was supposed to be there a week, got stuck for a further week until the international flights restarted and I got on the first British airways flight out of DFW.

I have 22 LR, but a reloader pics a 223 over a 22 mag!

Nothing can replace a 22 LR as a survival gun.

The cost, and availability of ammo puts it ahead of the mag.
The last press I had was a Lee Turret with a broken frame. It was given to me by a local gunsmith, and it worked just fine for neck sizing the .243 Win and .280 Rem I was loading at the time. About 5 years ago, I sold the .280 Rem and the dies. I gave the Lee, misc. bullets, misc. cans of powder and misc. loading supplies to young guy that had an interest in loading. I hung onto my .243 and 3-4 boxes of 100 grain Corte-Loks. I bet that will keep my freezer filled until I'm dead.

II have some short needle pines to cut, not enough to call a timber man.
What are they good for, other than a bonfire.
Heating your house. I had a snobbish attitude towards pine till I was out in montanna at my wife's, grandparents ranch. All they have to burn is pine. Season it properly and burn it.
Well fall is here and it’s scrounging season. I bought a new firewood acquisition tool to add to the arsenal, MS400. I figured it was the obvious next step in my 3 saw plan. 33cc, 50cc, now 67cc. I had a hard time justifying a bigger saw than the 261, cause it does everything well. But I guess I wanted to see what the hype was all about, hopefully it brings big smiles in 20” hardwoods. Should also make noodling a little more effortless.
You'll love it after about 6 to 10 tanks!
Signed a husqy fan with a ms400cm.
Remembering 9/11:

I did not work there when they went down, but I used to work in Trade Tower II, first on the 25th floor, then on the 82nd. I remember you could feel (and hear) the building sway on windy days, which would unnerve me.

I also remember returning from lunch one day and not being able to find my office ... I thought I was stuck in the Twilight Zone ... then I realized I was in Tower I, not Tower II !!!

I remember going to the Observation deck, with beautiful views, but I did not take any pictures ... I will be there forever, right???

On the day the towers fell, I was supposed to go to a big deal meeting in the Bronx. Traffic was jammed, and you could see the smoke billowing from Tower I as I tried to make my way into work. I thought it was an accidental plane crash.

Then, after I arrived at the location, they turned on the TV and we watched the second plane crash. Some of the folks who had traveled all the way from Albany still wanted to have the meeting, but I shook my head at them and said I have to go home, we are at war.

Good thing I left when I did. All the bridges were closed, and I had to go on the shoulder of the road to make it around traffic, but I did make it home that day (lots of folks did not, roads were closed).
Mr Pennypackers history class, 6th grade. His phone rang at his desk, he answered it and nearly fell over. Turned the TV on. Didn't realize I was watching history in the making at the time. Was pretty crazy after that, kids getting yanked out of class right and left. Didn't really think about it till the news of the pentagon got hit. My old man was at a jobsite that day less then a mile away. Mom couldn't get ahold of him. (Before cell phones) fortunately he made it home. Said he watched the plane crash into the pentagon and ran to his truck and beat feet home. I'll never forget that day till I die. Too many lives lost for no real reason.
Heck a decent 8 pointer is considered a big buck around here on public land. You only ever see anything bigger on private land that's managed well.
I have 22 LR, but a reloader pics a 223 over a 22 mag!

Nothing can replace a 22 LR as a survival gun.

The cost, and availability of ammo puts it ahead of the mag.
Yes, yes.
Yes, till you run out of ammo lol.
Yes.

The last press I had was a Lee Turret with a broken frame. It was given to me by a local gunsmith, and it worked just fine for neck sizing the .243 Win and .280 Rem I was loading at the time. About 5 years ago, I sold the .280 Rem and the dies. I gave the Lee, misc. bullets, misc. cans of powder and misc. loading supplies to young guy that had an interest in loading. I hung onto my .243 and 3-4 boxes of 100 grain Corte-Loks. I bet that will keep my freezer filled until I'm dead.
If not swing by with a couple bricks or a slingshot lol.
The first pic is out the same window I typically shoot out of, wouldn't even need to put my check on the stock :laugh:. If you look close you'll see two just left of the power pole(and the one to the right), then one back near the shed. Back by the shed and the wood pile behind the bonfire pit is where I usually shot chipmunks at :). Some taste little vittles:barbecue:.
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.21.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.19.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.18.38 PM.png

I was in high school. After the first one hit we turned on TV and thought it was an accident. At first they said it was a small plane. Then the second one hit and it was clear it was not an accident. Admittedly I have only seen that footage that once while it was happening. Seeing people jumping because death was a better alternative than being in that burning inferno was enough to burn that into my memory that I don't ever need to see that again.

This is my quote from the Sept 11, 2011 thread on here.

I'm Canadian and was working in Ann Arbor, Michigan building a roof on a condominium that we were just setting with a crane. The operator shut down the crane and told us a plane had hit the WTC, didn't seem like too big a deal at first then all hell broke loose. More planes down and then all airports shut down, it seemed so strange not seeing any planes in the air especially being so close to Detroit. Moments later the operator told us the border was locked down. Another worker and I took off to withdraw as much money as I could from ATM's before they shut down. We did manage to get across the border later that night but things were never the same after that.

Heating your house. I had a snobbish attitude towards pine till I was out in montanna at my wife's, grandparents ranch. All they have to burn is pine. Season it properly and burn it.

You'll love it after about 6 to 10 tanks!
Signed a husqy fan with a ms400cm.

Mr Pennypackers history class, 6th grade. His phone rang at his desk, he answered it and nearly fell over. Turned the TV on. Didn't realize I was watching history in the making at the time. Was pretty crazy after that, kids getting yanked out of class right and left. Didn't really think about it till the news of the pentagon got hit. My old man was at a jobsite that day less then a mile away. Mom couldn't get ahold of him. (Before cell phones) fortunately he made it home. Said he watched the plane crash into the pentagon and ran to his truck and beat feet home. I'll never forget that day till I die. Too many lives lost for no real reason.

Heck a decent 8 pointer is considered a big buck around here on public land. You only ever see anything bigger on private land that's managed well.

Yes, yes.
Yes, till you run out of ammo lol.
Yes.

I see we're the same age, I was in 6th grade too. Being on the west coast, I woke up to the news being on about a plane crashing into the WTC. Shortly afterwards, the other tower got hit and eventually the pentagon. My mom let me stay at home and watch the news until she had to got to work.

I ended up going to school, but was a couple hours late. My 6th grade teacher was actually a really awesome teacher and totally understood why I was a couple hours late...he said that he'd understand why if I didn't even bother going to school that day. That day really defined the future, for better or worse, things would've probably been way different had 9/11 never happened.

I see we're the same age, I was in 6th grade too. Being on the west coast, I woke up to the news being on about a plane crashing into the WTC. Shortly afterwards, the other tower got hit and eventually the pentagon. My mom let me stay at home and watch the news until she had to got to work.

I ended up going to school, but was a couple hours late. My 6th grade teacher was actually a really awesome teacher and totally understood why I was a couple hours late...he said that he'd understand why if I didn't even bother going to school that day. That day really defined the future, for better or worse, things would've probably been way different had 9/11 never happened.
I think I remember coming home and just feeling wierd and unsettled. Who do you attack? Who is responsible? It wasn't even a country it was an ideal, a rogue group. It was different in that in WW2 it was a known enemy from a known country that we could retaliate and attack. This group we had no target, hid in the hills, and would not show themselves. I remember it was a time of not knowing.

I was working night shift at a nuclear plant outage. Got back to the hotel to coverage of the first plane, watched the second hit. Had to go to sleep after that. Most work was cancelled at the plant but my crew was on critical path so we went in. Very few people on site that night. Massive security and National Guard on site. There were fears of attacks on major infrastructure (like nuclear plants). It was a very eerie night to say the least.

Latest posts

Back