Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't know if you are trying to be funny, or you've just never seen a high-quality piece of wood on a firearm before?

P1010848-S.jpg

SR
I thought he was talking about the "scrounged wood" on the ground, not the stock lol.
That is a pretty tool!

Well I took the 400 out for its first startup today, it tried to mate with the 261.
E7F654E5-DCE5-4AB3-BF1F-29D8ACC2B267.jpegSo I warmed it up and revved it a little. Then I cut some 10” maple, man I am in love. The 261 is a bad little saw but this thing rips, I believe I got a good one. Made a custom muffler plate and installed it before I had ever started it. I thought about modifying the factory cover but this way I can replace the cover if warranty work is needed. Once again this thing is amazing with a 20” bar, I hope it doesn’t replace the 50cc saw because it is sweet. I barely noticed the extra weight, I believe this could be my only saw. I noticed instead of working on the ground (with the 50) or bent over that I was able to stand and work which is nice considering I’m 43 years old and time is taking its toll. The CAD was strong and I couldn’t resist, I found this jewel and couldn’t be happier.B2AFE572-DD7C-48E1-942C-CD6658702425.jpeg

It's been awhile since I spun chain, almost forgot how lol...but did a loop of 32" .404 for the ol' freebie Echo 8000 I'm going to build for my old man. He doesn't have a "big" firewood saw and I'm not about to give him one of my 044s, so he'll get this. I'm going to do some "magic" to the cylinder first, she's slow lol.

If anyone's wondering why .404...I've got this medium mount 32" Stihl bar with a .404 sprocket, that I'm not going to use. A little bit of modification and an adapter, it fits on the Echo.

BTW, back to our earlier talk about DL #'s and size of bars...I have no clue how many DLs are on a 32" .404. I didn't even count these out, just coiled the chain up on the bar and sprocket and eyeballed what I thought was good.
View attachment 1016537
Very nice! Good on ya for hook'n your dad up! 👍 Before he passed. If I tried to give my old man a saw he'd say, "why would I want that? You have plenty of saws boy! If I need something sawed I'll have you do it! Don't expect me to pay ya either! I clothed and feed your a** for 18 plus years son! Ain't pay'n back a b***h?!?!"
JK 😂🤣😉

How big is an Echo 8000? If It can pull .404? It must be fairly good size at the very least!
You got that right. Especially true when there's a fair amount of private land mixed into vast areas of piss-poor, marginal-at-best state owned deer habitat. In my neck of the woods, 140 class bucks are tough to come by, and I suspect a lot of them are shot out out the back window of hunting camps with the aid of a spotlight.
I hear ya! I have nothing but respect for you guys that hunt fair chase White Tail on public land! Good on all you guys! Even if your just a meat hunter! That being said. Bagging a trophy class buck must be quite a moment for a hunter! Hunting Whitetail Ranches on private land does not at all impress me!😡 Under those circumstances. All It takes is money to shoot a trophy buck in most cases! 👎 I've always wanted to go down south and experience a fair chase Whitetail hunt at least once in my life. I'd be happy with any buck! Being as I know very few people in Iowa Illinois or Wisconsin. (Thats where I would put in for a tag most likely) I wouldn't even know where to start if I did draw a tag! If a person is a true Trophy Hunter? Wether its public or private land? fair chase is the only way to hunt and take trophy animals IMOP!👍

Good and safe hunting to you all Gentleman!👍

I honestly don't know if you are trying to be funny, or you've just never seen a high-quality piece of wood on a firearm before?

P1010848-S.jpg

SR
I've seen high quality Hand made and hand checkered European Walnut stocks on both my Dad's early model Sako Finnbears! Scratched one up pretty good in the rocks hunting Mt goat! Being as I have no experience with building or refinishing high dollar wood stocks. It cost me a fortune to have the 06 stock refinished after the hunt! Called McMillan Custom Fiberglass Rifle Stocks the day after I got home from my Mt goat hunt. I swapped both my Sako's wood stocks out for fiberglass McMillan's! 👍 Best thing I ever did to those Rifles! Then again I don't base the pleasure of my rifles nor my hunts on the cosmetics of my firearms! 😂🤣😉

Well I took the 400 out for its first startup today, it tried to mate with the 261.
View attachment 1016703So I warmed it up and revved it a little. Then I cut some 10” maple, man I am in love. The 261 is a bad little saw but this thing rips, I believe I got a good one. Made a custom muffler plate and installed it before I had ever started it. I thought about modifying the factory cover but this way I can replace the cover if warranty work is needed. Once again this thing is amazing with a 20” bar, I hope it doesn’t replace the 50cc saw because it is sweet. I barely noticed the extra weight, I believe this could be my only saw. I noticed instead of working on the ground (with the 50) or bent over that I was able to stand and work which is nice considering I’m 43 years old and time is taking its toll. The CAD was strong and I couldn’t resist, I found this jewel and couldn’t be happier.View attachment 1016705
Congrats, sound like it's gonna be a great addition to the arsenal for you.
Looks like a big 261.
I don't think I've ever ran one, but I've ran the 362 and the 462 :).

Very nice! Good on ya for hook'n your dad up! 👍 Before he passed. If I tried to give my old man a saw he'd say, "why would I want that? You have plenty of saws boy! If I need something sawed I'll have you do it! Don't expect me to pay ya either! I clothed and feed your a** for 18 plus years son! Ain't pay'n back a b***h?!?!"
JK 😂🤣😉

How big is an Echo 8000? If It can pull .404? It must be fairly good size at the very least!
I hear ya! I have nothing but respect for you guys that hunt fair chase White Tail on public land! Good on all you guys! Even if your just a meat hunter! That being said. Bagging a trophy class buck must be quite a moment for a hunter! Hunting Whitetail Ranches on private land does not at all impress me!😡 Under those circumstances. All It takes is money to shoot a trophy buck in most cases! 👎 I've always wanted to go down south and experience a fair chase Whitetail hunt at least once in my life. I'd be happy with any buck! Being as I know very few people in Iowa Illinois or Wisconsin. (Thats where I would put in for a tag most likely) I wouldn't even know where to start if I did draw a tag! If a person is a true Trophy Hunter? Public Land fair chase is the only way to hunt and take trophy animals IMOP!👍

Well I am in Illinois and you are welcome down here. You can hunt my private land or the un-hunted public lands. You can even hunt the islands. When I say islands I mean the small islands in the Mississippi River and yes deer do swim to the islands. Since I am on the river and only feet from Iowa I can find you land to hunt there. It is an entire different world over there and I wonder how they even have deer left in the state. That is NOT an insult to Iowa hunters simply an observation of their laws.

JK 😂🤣😉

I hear ya! I have nothing but respect for you guys that hunt fair chase White Tail on public land! Good on all you guys! Even if your just a meat hunter! That being said. Bagging a trophy class buck must be quite a moment for a hunter! Hunting Whitetail Ranches on private land does not at all impress me!😡 Under those circumstances. All It takes is money to shoot a trophy buck in most cases! 👎 I've always wanted to go down south and experience a fair chase Whitetail hunt at least once in my life. I'd be happy with any buck! Being as I know very few people in Iowa Illinois or Wisconsin. (Thats where I would put in for a tag most likely) I wouldn't even know where to start if I did draw a tag! If a person is a true Trophy Hunter? Public Land fair chase is the only way to hunt and take trophy animals IMOP!👍

The Echo 8000 is 80cc. It's a torquey saw, but...slow. It's kinda old school in that way, but It's got a really restrictive exhaust and ho-hum porting #'s. I've seen some people have made screamers out of them...open up the muffler, throw the cylinder on the lathe, and a little work with my grinder, I don't know why I couldn't build a fast saw out of it.

I do all the climbing and semi-complex falling for the old man...even though he used to climb redwoods out on the coast. He still likes cutting brush and bucking logs, so he would appreciate a strong running saw. He just to old to climb and would rather have me do anything that's remotely technical.
Congrats, sound like it's gonna be a great addition to the arsenal for you.
Looks like a big 261.
I don't think I've ever ran one, but I've ran the 362 and the 462 :).
Think 362 weight, but nearly 462 power...that's the 400. I tuned mine up a bit and now my "more desirable" saws usually sit in favor of the 400.

I do not want to derail the thread by going back to the "furry" crap it seems it might be a bit of a hoax.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...about-schools-providing-litter-boxes-student/
I have spent nearly my entire career in education and I will say that is the dumbest dang thing I ever hear of.
I don't trust those fact checkers. If you look into them they are politically funded and even though I'm right leaning I have a problem with fact checking that's funded by any party on any side. I read the story on it here in Midland and It looked to me like the school district was dodging answering it so I definitely would not say its false that's my opinion.

Nev
View attachment 1016703So I warmed it up and revved it a little. Then I cut some 10” maple, man I am in love. The 261 is a bad little saw but this thing rips, I believe I got a good one. Made a custom muffler plate and installed it before I had ever started it. I thought about modifying the factory cover but this way I can replace the cover if warranty work is needed. Once again this thing is amazing with a 20” bar, I hope it doesn’t replace the 50cc saw because it is sweet. I barely noticed the extra weight, I believe this could be my only saw. I noticed instead of working on the ground (with the 50) or bent over that I was able to stand and work which is nice considering I’m 43 years old and time is taking its toll. The CAD was strong and I couldn’t resist, I found this jewel and couldn’t be happier.View attachment 1016705
Congrat's on the new Stihl's! Never ran a 261. Sure looks nice! I know really like my 260 pro. With a 50g 16" bar and .325 Full Comp. The power to weight ratio is hard to beat! 👍 Madsen's sent me the 260 with a .50gage bar and 3/8 tip. After running the 3/8 chain. I punched out the 3/8 and riveted on a .325👍 Made a world of difference! Very noticeable power gain over the 3/8 being as the .325 cuts a narrower kerf. Therefore, less load on the head!👍 IMG_20220520_144232570_HDR.jpg

Well I am in Illinois and you are welcome down here. You can hunt my private land or the un-hunted public lands. You can even hunt the islands. When I say islands I mean the small islands in the Mississippi River and yes deer do swim to the islands. Since I am on the river and only feet from Iowa I can find you land to hunt there. It is an entire different world over there and I wonder how they even have deer left in the state. That is NOT an insult to Iowa hunters simply an observation of their laws.
Hey I really appreciate that! Just may have to take you up on that offer if and when the time comes! 👍

I don't trust those fact checkers. If you look into them they are politically funded and even though I'm right leaning I have a problem with fact checking that's funded by any party on any side. I read the story on it here in Midland and It looked to me like the school district was dodging answering it so I definitely would not say its false that's my opinion.
You very well could be correct. I also am not a fan of any organization that leans one way. You will not find me singing the 100% truth that Fox News claims to put out.

The last broadcaster I respected was David Brinkley.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/David-Brinkley-Signs-Off-With-Blast-at-Clinton-2960253.php
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A15446E0ACC05B9D336CFA87&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8014B608527C4C95D8068014B608527C4C&ajaxhist=0

The Echo 8000 is 80cc. It's a torquey saw, but...slow. It's kinda old school in that way, but It's got a really restrictive exhaust and ho-hum porting #'s. I've seen some people have made screamers out of them...open up the muffler, throw the cylinder on the lathe, and a little work with my grinder, I don't know why I couldn't build a fast saw out of it.

I do all the climbing and semi-complex falling for the old man...even though he used to climb redwoods out on the coast. He still likes cutting brush and bucking logs, so he would appreciate a strong running saw. He just to old to climb and would rather have me do anything that's remotely technical.

Think 362 weight, but nearly 462 power...that's the 400. I tuned mine up a bit and now my "more desirable" saws usually sit in favor of the 400.
😲 360 weight and 460 power = MS400?!?! Thats Impressive!👍 Dose that mean 046 weight and 066 power = MS500? If so, I've gotta try a 500 ASAP!

😲 360 weight and 460 power = MS400?!?! Thats Impressive!👍 Dose that mean 046 weight and 066 power = MS500? If so, I've gotta try a 500 ASAP!
I don't want to say it will beat up on a 460, I haven't run one in a long time, but it does beat up on all the stock 044/440's that I've run. That being said, it doesn't quite have the resistance to stalling out the chain as say, a 461. That's ok, it's light enough to brush with and it still has enough power to easily run a 28" in stock form...mine now has enough power to run a 32", also has the HO oiler guts from a 461R, so it'll oil a 32" as well. With a good chain, it self feeds into the wood nicely.

I'd say the 500i is in a similar situation. If I can keep the chain speed up, it'll rip with a 36" in softwoods. That being said, the rev's do start to drop when you lean on it...but it's not to the point of easily stalling the chain out(my main gripe about most 70cc saws.) My ported 066, the revs don't really drop until you're at the point of wondering why you're pushing that hard on the saw. I honestly don't have much run time on my 500i yet...outside of my actual job, most of my recent cutting has been with the 400 or climbing saws.

The one caveat to the 500i, is it sounds like some had some variances in piston height, or at least that's what I've heard. Enough height to change the port timing and possibly why some people think they rip and others think they don't. Mine's a good runner, but I'm stihl curious about digging in and seeing what makes it tick...and if I can improve it.

Speaking of 500i content, tonight I was working on an upgrade for the crappy stock 462/500 clutch cover. I'm using a cheap aftermarket "west-coast style" cover(044-066). A little trimming and grinding, it fits:
20220912_194941.jpg.49c11dcdde22c306fee0f191767634e7.jpg

I've seen high quality Hand made and hand checkered European Walnut stocks on both my Dad's early model Sako Finnbears! Scratched one up pretty good in the rocks hunting Mt goat! Being as I have no experience with building or refinishing high dollar wood stocks. It cost me a fortune to have the 06 stock refinished after the hunt! Called McMillan Custom Fiberglass Rifle Stocks the day after I got home from my Mt goat hunt. I swapped both my Sako's wood stocks out for fiberglass McMillan's! 👍 Best thing I ever did to those Rifles! Then again I don't base the pleasure of my rifles nor my hunts on the cosmetics of my firearms! 😂🤣😉
About 5 years ago my wife's Pampa gave me a new in the box Winchester 70 sporter in 7mm mag. Said he won it at a gun raffle back in the 80's and never shot it. He never even mounted the scope rings that came with it. Said he wanted to see someone kill something with it before he died. That year I got the biggest buck I ever shot, and a coyote all within an hour of each other. He passed away about a month after that. Just can't bring myself to drag it through the woods and screw up the stock.
Idk if it true or not, but wouldnt suprise me honestly. In my senior year they started a "gay-straight alliance." It was pretty heavily protested, till one of the gay kids parents sued the school. The school lost its backbone after that. Lots of things changed the following years. I could write an essay about how much has changed, but needless to say it's not an atmosphere I want my kids going to school in. So when we were looking for houses we purposefully looked outside of that district.
Nev
Congrat's on the new Stihl's! Never ran a 261. Sure looks nice! I know really like my 260 pro. With a 50g 16" bar and .325 Full Comp. The power to weight ratio is hard to beat! 👍 Madsen's sent me the 260 with a .50gage bar and 3/8 tip. After running the 3/8 chain. I punched out the 3/8 and riveted on a .325👍 Made a world of difference! Very noticeable power gain over the 3/8 being as the .325 cuts a narrower kerf. Therefore, less load on the head!👍 View attachment 1016729
One of my favorite saws is a 026, only beaten by a 346xp. These newer 50cc saws do have a bit more power imo. Not enough to make you want to get rid of the older saw, but enough that you'll notice rhe difference.

Attachments

• 20171127_113045_1511814459288.jpg
    20171127_113045_1511814459288.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back