Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swing by and you can :laugh:.
Glad to see you're getting out a bit more lately. Did the doc give the okay on firewood therapy :chainsaw::chop:.
Oh, I don't know about the truss signing... maybe I'll wait for the night the concrete goes in and make a set of my footprints in front of the door! :lol:

Doc didn't say NOT to do firewood. Actually he said to keep working on range of motion and basically do as much as I can tolerate for exercise and such. PT says the same thing. So I'll keep doing it in small doses, which is pretty much how I've always done it - 1 wheelbarrow at a time. I'll just be taking more breaks in between sessions for a while.

Stupid laws like that is why I can't have an outdoor boiler. I live in the glitz edge of Lebanon County, everyone around here burns wood. unless you had a outdoor boiler before they changed the laws about them good luck with a new set up. Has to be so far away from the house, stack still has to b3 higher then the peak of your house roof, guy wire requirements and all. Once I get a shop built and some funds saved up I'm planning on sticking a boiler in the back of the shop and piping water to the house.

That sucks mate! Not much of a friend pulling that.

Can't remember when, it's been years now. We have a 3 up law. I personally hate it as I want the meat, but the results are proven. Used to be darn hard to find a nice 6 point buck, now they are pretty normal. Hard to get anything much bigger on public land though.

Me too, very good chains out of the box. Cuts fast, smooth and ive been surprised about how long the edge lasts.

Gotta grab one and try it out. It's a battle between eBay and Amazon for cheaper loops. I just grabbed 5 boxes off ebay a while back of 20" for $100.00. Haven't seen them that cheap since.

Between my smoke dragon and 2 green wood hydronic furnaces (father in law and his dad) we all burn whatever. I clean my chimney about as often as you, and they Clean theirs once or twice a year. None of us have build up issues. I'm real anxious to see how this triple wall stainless chimney I put up does this burn season. Hoping I don't have to go up on the roof too much this winter.
I have found that burning dry wood and one hot fire a day has kept my chimney clean since 1978.

Our fireplace is old it keeps the living room warm because it's a small house but it eats wood. After seeing @H-Ranch thread on OWB has me really thinking about building one in the next couple years. I can weld pretty decent from work. (FAA certified ) so I'm pretty sure I can weld up whatever I need. The only thing that's confusing to me is how the blower system works other than that the casing and water jacket weld up is no problem. I feel like for cost savings it makes more sense to build that then screw with buying a insert. I can make the heat and the hot water with the boiler and just use the fireplace I have now for the nights my wife wants to see the fire.
I wish my fireplace insert had a water jacket in it to heat the water in my heating system.

Hello Jim,

Did I happen to send you a manual for that chipper. It seems for many years I was sending out copies of the Fitchburg manual for free. I stopped after the postage got so far out of hand and folks kept saying they would pay me for postage and never did. Now I honestly do not know where the originals are

Bill
Hi Bill, I think that you did send me a copy. I do know that if you did send me one that I would have gladly paid you for it. I think that I gave all the info on that machine to the guy that bought it from me. I also had a Wayne 12 inch chipper. Somebody emailed me the parts and owners manual for that. I have been forwarding that to anyone that needs it.

Do you mean the Forced draft blower, or a hit air circulation blower?
The blower goes on the front of the outdoor wood boiler and has some kind of control I'm guessing to fan the fire not sure only a guess.
Swing by and you can :laugh:.
Glad to see you're getting out a bit more lately. Did the doc give the okay on firewood therapy :chainsaw::chop:.
It's been on my list to stop by out there for years to visit, maybe have you square grind up a chain. Consequently my wife hasn't felt well in years also. One of these days I'll get out there. Lived here all my life I've been allot of places in Michigan but the Grand Rapids area and that whole side of the state I've never been. I haven't forgot about you friend hopefully once we get some of these problems of hers under control I can get out there.

Do it!!! I'm sure you're a much better fabricator than I am. I think you're a decent scrounger too so can probably find most of what you need on the cheap. Feel free to post or private message any questions and I'll give you my experience.
Thank you I'm sure I could do it. I haven't decided what's in store for us. It's getting a little built up for my and my wife's liking here. They put a house in on the 10 acre farm field across the street and we have a house next to us that's about a football field away. We still have an 100 acre field directly next to us. The building that's going on makes my wife nervous. She want to ultimately be in a home that bigfoot is the nearest neighbor. We would like to move up north but we have to get the logistics correct. I haven't found any shops up there that do or are looking for what I do. I'm not just looking to run a bridgeport all day or push a button I think I would get pretty bored. But that's why I've been holding off for now because I know we are meant to be in the woods somewhere. I'd rather not build one just to leave it behind for someone else I'd like that to be at the house we are going to retire in.

I wish my fireplace insert had a water jacket in it to heat the water in my heating system.
Thankfully mine is a little bit better than a standard masonry fireplace. I'm not actually sure what it's called maybe a heatalator? It's got heat tubes that run through right by the damper and the back of the firebox is hollow and there is vents on the side on the brick. I've experimented putting fans on the side to circulate the heat. I'm going to see if I can build some kind of manifold that fits into the tubes and then put a 90 on them and bring a pipe out to the end of the vent to direct the heat more into the room. I'm going to ask my fireplace guy about how they used to get a blower back in there like I know some of them had.

Thankfully mine is a little bit better than a standard masonry fireplace. I'm not actually sure what it's called maybe a heatalator? It's got heat tubes that run through right by the damper and the back of the firebox is hollow and there is vents on the side on the brick. I've experimented putting fans on the side to circulate the heat. I'm going to see if I can build some kind of manifold that fits into the tubes and then put a 90 on them and bring a pipe out to the end of the vent to direct the heat more into the room. I'm going to ask my fireplace guy about how they used to get a blower back in there like I know some of them had.
You were talking about the forced draft for the fire. I'm kinda on the fence about that myself. Even though there's provisions for it in my furnace I've never needed it. Just one more thing to worry about if the power goes out imo.
The neat thing about my set up, is even without power I don't have to worry about an over fire or soldering situation. Even the heated air around the plenum circulates without the big blower running, although it's not as efficient as with the blower.

Seems your wife has similar thoughts to me as far as living location. Part of the reason we picked out location was we were close enough but far enough away, and surrounded by woods. I'm wishing now we bought a lot more property, fortunately I only have one bad neighbor, but most of the people that kive back my lane arw pretty old now. I'm worried about what's gonna happen when they pass on, or move to a home. We've been talking a lot about moving, but house prices around my area went through the roof. Found a 26 acre "farm" (not really a farm) and they wanted $998k for it. That same farm 5 years ago would have went under $500k and as rough shape as the house is in (it caught on fire and the half arsed the repairs) and the barn is in rough shape. I doubt it would have sold for much over $300k. It also has the keystone pipe line running through it. It's been taken off the market for now.
Upstate is still pretty cheap but there's limited places to work and pay isn't like it is around here. Just sucks in general.

Thank you I'm sure I could do it. I haven't decided what's in store for us. It's getting a little built up for my and my wife's liking here. They put a house in on the 10 acre farm field across the street and we have a house next to us that's about a football field away. We still have an 100 acre field directly next to us. The building that's going on makes my wife nervous. She want to ultimately be in a home that bigfoot is the nearest neighbor. We would like to move up north but we have to get the logistics correct. I haven't found any shops up there that do or are looking for what I do. I'm not just looking to run a bridgeport all day or push a button I think I would get pretty bored. But that's why I've been holding off for now because I know we are meant to be in the woods somewhere. I'd rather not build one just to leave it behind for someone else I'd like that to be at the house we are going to retire in.
What line of work are you in?

Same way I would hardwoods, let it dry until it's ready to burn.

When I dropped it a few broke off when they came through the canopy. They are nice when limbing in the air though, as you can buzz thru the top side and let them swing into the tree(without a hinge), then cut them so they fall straight down the stem.
Thanks, chipper1
I read that 6-12 month for conifers & 12-24 months for oak. As I said, we had wood stove for heat in a farm house in zone 8a South Carolina.
We never burned pine unless it was dead wood trees, & the oak was green & split. The stove was attached to a double fireplace, the kitchen side was sealed off & sheet rocked up.
The living room side was bricked up & a stove pipe install, never had a problem with the chimney, the house still stand, but no one lives there.

Splitting the ugly stuff before I have to head to work. Beech is always a bugger, and all the crotches and knotted up stuff... shoulder season wood.

Attachments

• 20220917_112510.jpg
    20220917_112510.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220917_112506.jpg
    20220917_112506.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220917_112504.jpg
    20220917_112504.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back