Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds awesome MustangM! Those all sound like some old original Ruger's.👍 I have two 10-22 carbine's myself! Neither of them are Deluxe models, but they are both stainless and older models none the less. With the original style mag release as well. I really don't care for the new style mag release nor the composite trigger assemblies! 👎 One of mine has a factory mannlicher laminated stock and has never been fired.👍
I've always wanted a 10-22, decided to buy one years back. Went to shydas and they had the Remington 597 bull barrel with a scope, on sale for dirt cheap. The owner is a friend of my fathers, so he said I could take it home for $80.00. I really couldn't say no to it. Haven't been disappointed with it.

Remember this load of logs?

Resized-20220809-155551-S.jpg

I already posted a pict. of one of them earlier, loaded on my BSM, and it's already milled, here's another one of those junk logs that I was told here, that they should be turned into firewood,

Resized-20220918-162448-S.jpg

Well, here's that "firewood" coming off the mill all stickered,

Resized-20220918-183335-S.jpg

I'll let you decide if I should have listened to you guys, or milled it,

Resized-20220918-183343-S.jpg

NEVER judge a book by its cover!

BTW, here's how I turn the big ones,

Resized-20220918-165934-S.jpg

SR
I'd be one of the first to say 'firewood'. I've cut some like that up for firewood. Nice Cherry? I try to save the only straight clear logs for lumber. But I have to pay someone to mill it, so I don't have the luxury to mill anything that might be iffy.
You have a manual mill?

In my high school class of around 200, I think there were five or six Steve’s, three of which were Steve K. And two of the Steve K’s were of Finnish descent so they sounded similar lol.
There was only one Steve K :innocent: but 2 other Steve's in most of my early classes. We were seated alphabetically and always one next to the others.

Well gentleman I'm sorry to get "off topic" on "The Scrounge", but fox🦊 season is rite around the corner, so last week I mounted a Leupy 3-9x40 VX-2 on my All Weather Ruger M77-22 WMR!
Now I know its probably way to much glass for the application, but it sure is nice!👍 View attachment 1017866

My 🐿️ hunting partner thinks so too!👍View attachment 1017867.
We are four for three hunts. One squirrel on each of the first two hunts and two on todays hunt!👍

Why a 3-9 on a 22mag? Well, I replaced all the variable low to high magnifacation optics on my hunting rifles with 1.5-5 Leupy's because I never seemed to need high power optics on my hunting rifles as I don't take shots over 300. In fact, not often over 200! Plus, I really really like Leupold's 1.5-5 fir my type of hunting. That being said. I had the scope, figured I might as well use it. Its a pretty darn accurate rifle. Im right at one MOA at 100 with it. Maybe a tad bit over.👍
My 22Lr has a IOR first focal plane 3-18X42 on it and i don't think it is overkill. From a 70m zero with Winchester subsonic, 90m is 1 mil holdover and by the time I am out to150 I need 5 mils (2.5 feet) of holdover. With a silencer, that are completely unregulated here, the rabbits and hares don't even know whats happening.

Enjoy the few seconds you have with your children as it goes away so very fast just like the few seconds you spent with your parents.
Thank you Bill I absolutely have been I try to do as much and let him do as much as I believe his maturity allows. Running the controls boosts his confidence as a young man and helps me out immensely.

I've had 2 Remington 597s and they were both fussy about what ammo you put through them. Casings hanging up in the action. Very accurate however, on plinking days when others were setting up cans, I would set up spent .22 casings and knock them down.
I run whatever through mine. Haven't had any hiccups with any different brands, aside from those few that refuse to go boom.

You burn the poplar firewood in an airtight Jeff ? I have some around hunting & fishing camps , not sure of the exact species of poplar though . We often burn it with jack pine blowdowns around the campfire . I suppose well seasoned & mixed with other hardwoods it would be stove quality ?
Poplar burns fast. Years ago my father in law and I exterminated it from the property. He called it useless wood.

My 22Lr has a IOR first focal plane 3-18X42 on it and i don't think it is overkill. From a 70m zero with Winchester subsonic, 90m is 1 mil holdover and by the time I am out to150 I need 5 mils (2.5 feet) of holdover. With a silencer, that are completely unregulated here, the rabbits and hares don't even know whats happening.
Sounds awesome!👍

I've always wanted a 10-22, decided to buy one years back. Went to shydas and they had the Remington 597 bull barrel with a scope, on sale for dirt cheap. The owner is a friend of my fathers, so he said I could take it home for $80.00. I really couldn't say no to it. Haven't been disappointed with it.
The Ruger 10-22 is by far the best little .22 carbine on the market as far as I am concerned. I have had mine since the late 70's and still love shooting it. The accuracy of this rifle is awesome.

When I was just getting into shooting my dad bought me a little marlin semi automatic with a tubular magazine from a ducks unlimited banquet . It even had the little DU badge in the stock. That thing would hold 17 rounds.

We shot what seemed to be millions of rounds through that thing. Then I went with my cousins who both had 10/22’s…. I then needed a gun with a “clip” too because it was much cooler lol. I ended up with two of those as well, a black one with a folding black stock that looked like a “assault rifle” (tongue in cheek) And also a stainless with laminated stock that was absolutely beautiful. Also had a bunch of those high-capacity ram line mags that barely worked.

All three of those guns were sold in my young adulthood when I foolishly figured I wouldn’t need them. Now I have a regular wood/blued 10/22 inherited from a friend that sits behind my door in my bedroom to shoot little critters the cause trouble around the yard.

The Ruger 10-22 is by far the best little .22 carbine on the market as far as I am concerned. I have had mine since the late 70's and still love shooting it. The accuracy of this rifle is awesome.
The Marlin lever action "Original Golden" 39M is also a tough one to beat! I inherited my dad's. What a sweet and fun shooter it is!👍

Hey NBN, that's all we had growing up. So it burns like paper its technically a hardwood but it burns up real fast. Now here's the thing it burns up real fast but it puts a ton of BTUs out during that time. It's a real good way to get your chimney cooked up fast and then switch to your dense stuff so you not waiting as long to get the heat up. We burned it all winter long because we had a ton of it. We had a Ben Franklin and the back of it would be cherry from that stuff. Well dried out I'm not afraid of it at all.
Thanks for the follow up information Vince , you know my frequent trips to camp provide more than enough opportunities to utilize poplar as a mix to my other dedicated hardwoods as you have advised ! ;)

Yep I can believe it Bill , enormous amount of work involved in keeping things moving forward , a lot variables that most uninformed as you say , take for granted ! ;)
I think many of us are guilty of taken others jobs and skills for granted from time to time. I sure will admit I have. I have a neighbor that is a very slow and methodical man. If you were to meet him you might think he was a bit shall we say...slow in the head.... In reality that could not be further from the truth. I will admit I thought that about him until I worked in the same factory with him.

Beech don't just have lots of limbs and leaves for cleanup, they often do not drop their leaves in the winter, so if one is blocking your shooting lane, it is a pain in the neck!
We have a stunted type of pin oak that is locally called scrub oak (not related to the scrub oak out west). Huge leaves that turn purple and then eventually brown. They grow wide and take up huge swaths of the woods and also rustle like the devil when the wind blows. I always cut them down near my deer stand.

Back