Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always get giggles when the gun topic comes up and the older generation runs to the wheel gun defense over a semi auto. Neither is any better then the shooter and the shooter is only as good as their experiences and training. I'm a decent shot with a wheel gun or a semi. I thought I was a great shot going through many static courses. I got to shoot with a few of our local police when I worked at the township. Most of them my age, but served in various sections of our military. We did a fire under duress one day. Basically we ran laps followed by live fire with one of the guys screaming at us, making loud noises ect. It's supposed to simulate some of the stresses you go under during a real gunfight. I was flat out pathetic. We didn't even do multi position shooting, just standing at 10 yards and shooting at silhouettes. Out of the 16 round my g19 holds I made fatal hits 3 times, and got 12 on target In total. I learned a lot in that one session.
I can agree with keeping with common calibers. I have a few odd balls but most everything is a standard thats been around for a long time.
Historically, I've kept my act together during high stress training and actual life threatening situations... It was afterwards, when I was safe and the adrenaline crash happened, that I got weak in the knees. I hope I can continue to respond that way as I get older... certainly don't want to freeze either!

"Witch firearm should I use/buy"? And "witch caliber is the best for..."? IMOP, Is a never ending debate that will never be unanimously agreed on! Along with many other firearm and ballistics subjects. Fir one to be stubborn, hard headed, and one sided about it all. Is simply a fools game gentleman! 😂🤣😉

Shoot safe!

Love those stories!

The “wonder round” that irks me the most is the 6.5 Creedmoor. The gun writers barf over that stupid round endlessly. It was just in a “top rounds for moose” article. Give me a break.

I understand the use for short mag cartridges but we’ve seen so many redundant cartridges introduced in the 21st century.
Most definitely agreed! Not just the Creedmoor, but all the new 6.5's! Now don't get me wrong. It's extreme long range trajectory is impressive. For shooting at paper past 1000. That being said. IMOP fir a long range hunting cartridge? 👎 I don't feel taking shots on animals at extreme distances (lets set the bar at anything over 500 for example) is "hunting" let alone ethical.

As far as an extreme range tactical precision cartridge? IMOP, none of the 6.5's got s**t on the .50BMG, and that cartridge has been around for a century!

"Witch firearm should I use/buy"? And "witch caliber is the best for..."? IMOP, Is a never ending debate that will never be unanimously agreed on! Along with many other firearm and ballistics subjects. Fir one to be stubborn, hard headed, and one sided about it all. Is simply a fools game gentleman! 😂🤣😉

Shoot safe!
Exactly... I've come right out and told guys "It doesn't matter if you can shoot well." I had a friend, now deceased, who kept buying and trading-in handguns in his quest to find one that shot. He'd ask me to check the sights... At first he'd give me a fully loaded gun and I'd shoot all 6, 7, whatever rounds and hit that at which I was aiming. Over time he started handing me the gun with 2 rounds in it so I didn't shoot up his ammo. ;) If I coached him and stayed right on him he shot quite well. If I walked 10 feet away and did my own shooting he reverted to his bad habits.

Hundreds of cops did annual qualification at our local range. It was scary how poorly many of them could shoot. And this was not under stress.
Many people shouldn’t have guns and lots of cops are among them.
One time I had lunch with the chair of the criminal justice program at the college where I taught. He described the chiefs as politicians and the officers as trade unionists for which guns were a tool of the trade. Many if not most were not into guns per se. In the decades since I've seen nothing to contradict that assessment... I regularly attend meetings with chiefs and command staffs, mayors, town supervisors, etc. from throughout the county and am friends with a retired chief from my city. My friend and I have had numerous conversations and those conversations and the meetings further support the chair's assessment.

On that note @dogone I may have told the story in here but several years ago I participated in a pistol shooting match with several guys who were active duty and/or prior military and or law enforcement. After the first four rounds I was second amongst the dozen guys. I ended up finishing in fifth because the last one was a timed shoot which required a magazine change and I had never used this (borrowed) pistol prior to walking into the range as I only owned revolvers at the time. I have zero formal training and hadn’t shot pistols in about five years before that day so to rank that high in the first four rounds I was pretty impressed with myself.

And I do not consider myself to be a good shot.

Most definitely agreed! Not just the Creedmoor, but all the new 6.5's! Now don't get me wrong. It's extreme long range trajectory is impressive. For shooting at paper past 1000. That being said. IMOP fir a long range hunting cartridge? 👎 I don't feel taking shots on animals at extreme distances (lets set the bar at anything over 500 for example) is "hunting" let alone ethical.

As far as an extreme range tactical precision cartridge? IMOP, none of the 6.5's got s**t on the .50BMG, and that cartridge has been around for a century!
Right. The 264 Win mag and 6.5 Swede had that caliber covered for 60 years. Granted the 260 Remington is cool because it’s based off of the 308. But talk about overkill now!

The other thing even if a gun is accurate to 1000 yards, very few shooters can actually hit anything not on a bench rest beyond 100 yards. Secondly using target loads on animals is stupid as the bullets aren’t going to expand properly and third, if you punch a hole in an animal at 800 yards with a pipsqueak round there’s not much energy to do much damage and they’re going to lose a lot of game.

Shooting a deer at extreme long ranges with a creed is sure a lot different than a well-versed rifle man dropping a bull elk with a 30–378 or something with some real power

Right. The 264 Win mag and 6.5 Swede had that caliber covered for 60 years. Granted the 260 Remington is cool because it’s based off of the 308. But talk about overkill now!

The other thing even if a gun is accurate to 1000 yards, very few shooters can actually hit anything not on a bench rest beyond 100 yards. Secondly using target loads on animals is stupid as the bullets aren’t going to expand properly and third, if you punch a hole in an animal at 800 yards with a pipsqueak round there’s not much energy to do much damage and they’re going to lose a lot of game.

Shooting a deer at extreme long ranges with a creed is sure a lot different than a well-versed rifle man dropping a bull elk with a 30–378 or something with some real power
Hell I can't even see 1,000 yards. With binoculars even. :dumb2:

Couldn't have said it better myself! 👍 IMOP, That's why the .50 is such a great extreme range tactical cartridge. Not only does it have great trajectory properties with minimal disturbance by wind when compared to the Creedmoor and other much smaller cartridges. The .50 also has enough lead in it's ass to pierce much heavier or thicker materials at far further distance's as well. 👍

Right!

Another one is listening to other peoples heroics with open sights! Even at 100 yards a stock front iron sight covers most of the deer lol
I killed most of my deer with iron sights until I scraped enough money to put a side mount 4X on my 30-30 when I was young. Most were 75 yards or less. My wife felt sorry for me 'cause all my buddies razed me about using the 30-30 and bought me a .270. I'll stihl carry it when we're brush busting late in the season.

Couldn't have said it better myself! 👍 IMOP, That's why the .50 is such a great extreme range tactical cartridge. Not only does it have great trajectory properties with minimal disturbance by wind when compared to the Creedmoor and other much smaller cartridges. The .50 also has enough lead in it's ass to pierce much heavier or thicker materials at far further distance's as well. 👍
.50 BMG designed as an anti-tank round for WW1. Vietnam sniper used that round very effevtively on two legged targets. Wish I could afford to shoot one.

I have Williams peeps on both my Marlin "Original Golden" 39M and my 1895. I removed the peep from the peep housing on the 1895 to turn it into more of a "ghost ring" It is much faster set up that way for close in moving targets like charging bear for example. Although I've never had to fire it at a charging bear. Friend's of mine and I have run a lot of different drills on "firing at a charging bear". Using milk jugs or cardboard boxes on fast zip lines from several different angles of approach. Its great training for that type of senerio. Minus the actual bear, adrenaline, chaos, and change of under shorts! 😉

Yup, nothing busts brush, they all deflect! Granted faster, smaller, pointed bullets do a bit more. But they all do.

If you want to shoot through brush, buckshot is your only hope-only because multiple projectiles have better odds than a single one.
Buckshot is not legal for big game in this state... single projectile only.

Hell I can't even see 1,000 yards. With binoculars even. :dumb2:
.338 Lapua Magnum 👍

I have Williams peeps on both my Marlin "Original Golden" 39M and my 1895. I removed the peep from the peep housing on the 1895 to turn it into more of a "ghost ring" It is much faster set up that way for close in moving targets like charging bear for example. Although I've never had to fire it at a charging bear. Friend's of mine and I have run a lot of different drills on "firing at a charging bear". Using milk jugs or cardboard boxes on fast zip lines from several different angles of approach. Its great training for that type of senerio. Minus the actual bear, adrenaline, chaos, and change of under shorts! 😉
That is cool, I was thinking how to do the same thing. They are going to log the state land up to my back yard next year, then I could do something like that where the bullets go into the hillside behind the target.

Practice makes perfect. Someone doing the training that you do has a much better chance of hitting a target than the guy who talks **** at the bar.

I kind of stopped reading the gun press in recent years. I've got no interest at all in things like ARs and plastic pistols. I've shot about every type of gun action there is from flintlock and percussion, to single shot falling, rolling, tilting and break action guns, bolt, lever, pump, semi-auto, sub-guns, machine guns, revolvers, semi-auto pistols, machine pistols... All good fun to shoot but I don't necessarily want to own them all! I kept up on Shooting Sportsmen for a long time as I appreciate fine shotguns... love the Purdey and H&H YouTube channels and wish they published more often. The only contemporary gun writer I sort of follow is John Marshall. He's a friend of mine and writes the Classic Guns column for Dillon. He's 82 or 83 now so it won't be too many years before we lose an encyclopedia of firearms knowledge. Currently my "arms reach" book shelf has books on long rifles... Shumway, Brown, Gusler. This as I've been regressing... for the past decade I've been doing a lot more of the things I enjoyed 35-55 years ago... long distance bicycle touring, made a bunch of sling shots, I recently got a Beeman P1 pellet pistol, and my Federalist Period, Lancaster style, flintlock long rifle.

Once Heller v. District of Columbia succeeded in SCOTUS I cut way back on my RKBAs activity... Don Kates had recruited me and I was heavily involved in that effort on the academic side... critiquing draft journal articles, writing articles, attending conferences, participating in sharing information and ideas with researchers around the US. It was all consuming! We knew in the years leading up to Heller that it would take 10-20 years of court cases post Heller to figure out just what regulation is acceptable... It's looking like 20 years+ may be most accurate given the aftermath of the SCOTUS case New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen.

I'm also getting back into the 18th century technology I got to experience while working at Colonial Williamsburg's gun shop (worked with Brumfield, Laubach, Wagner, and Suiter... Gusler worked elsewhere at the foundation at that time). Also on my "arms reach" book shelf are books Chris Schwarz of Lost Art Press has been putting out... reprints of 18th to early 20th century books. I just got Moxon's 1703 book Mechanick Exercises. I know Chris from the days when I was heavily into fine wood working... we both presented at an annual woodworking show several different years. Early on I met him at the Lie-Nielson booth when Tom L-N was there... it was an amusing but serious discussion.

Speaking of old tech, I dragged out my froe recently and split a bunch of kindling... OMG... so much safer than using an axe or hatchet! This is my froe... recently reshaped on the grinder to improve performance. I also slapped some more boiled linseed oil on the handle. I love my barbaric froe mallet. 😉
View attachment 1032899

My favorites for kindling is a chunk of clear grain black locust and the hydraulic splitter. Can turn out a bucket full in short order and it is amazing how small one can split BL without it breaking.

Just curious: What wood is that mallet? I used to know what the preferred wood is but my age and memory don't agree.

Back