Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My splitter has some old tires in rough shape that won't hold air fir very long. So I will not been using it that much until I get the new rims and tires on it.

These are the tools I've been using for the last couple of weeks to split my scrounge. I break the rounds down into quarters out in the woods. Then load'em and haul'em.👍View attachment 1033039

Remember this snag? My neighbor didn't haul it all out of the woods. He's retired, starts sip'n early and naps a lot. Shortly after I got home from camp. I asked him if he got all this snag out of the woods. He told me "no, I haven't had theView attachment 1033037 time" 🤣😂😉 But I know he's just to proud to say his saw isn't big enough and he's to crippled up to do the work by himself. So I'll be scrounging the rest of it up for him as I can these next couple weeks. 👍View attachment 1033037View attachment 1033043View attachment 1033045
I scrounged up this four round load fir him late this afternoon.
View attachment 1033047

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Yeah, until I finish building my splitter, that's the way I'm splitting wood. I quartered some of my rounds earlier today, just to make them easier to split...also to run a tank through the 500i hybrid saw I just built.

Yeah, until I finish building my splitter, that's the way I'm splitting wood. I quartered some of my rounds earlier today, just to make them easier to split...also to run a tank through the 500i hybrid saw I just built.

🤔Why do you call it, or should I ask what makes it a hybrid? Im not familiar with hybrid saws.

🤔Why do you call it, or should I ask what makes it a hybrid? Im not familiar with hybrid saws.

It's a 500i with a 660 piston...I'm not the first to do it, but only a few people have, so I was kinda figuring it out as I went. Not a straightforward swap at all, lotsa of machining, turning, and grinding on the piston and cases. However a few different benefits...a significantly lighter piston than stock. The main benefit is it opens up some opportunities for machining and porting of the cylinder that you can't do with a stock 500i piston. The final result is a saw that runs significantly stronger than stock.

I'm thinking I left some room for improvement on this one, but now I'm thinking I need to extract some more power out of my already ported 066 if I'm ever going to use the big saw again lol.

It's a 500i with a 660 piston...I'm not the first to do it, but only a few people have, so I was kinda figuring it out as I went. Not a straightforward swap at all, lotsa of machining, turning, and grinding on the piston and cases. However a few different benefits...a significantly lighter piston than stock. The main benefit is it opens up some opportunities for machining and porting of the cylinder that you can't do with a stock 500i piston. The final result is a saw that runs significantly stronger than stock.

I'm thinking I left some room for improvement on this one, but now I'm thinking I need to extract some more power out of my already ported 066 if I'm ever going to use the big saw again lol.
Do you have a ported 661? If so, how does your 500 compare? If not, hows it compare to the ported 66?

Do you have a ported 661? If so, how does your 500 compare? If not, hows it compare to the ported 66?
No ported 661. It's been a minute since I ran a 661...even then, it was a brand new stock saw that was having gremlins. Compared to the ported 66? I think the only place my 66 has the hybrid 500i is maybe in stall resistance. You can see in the vid that it still has a tendency to grab, but that was noodling oak with one of my softwood chains. I need to take it out seriously cutting, but I think this hybrid saw is going to be a killer when it comes to a falling saw.

I need to run both saws back to back now...I don't run the 066 enough to really have a good feel for it. I did run the hybrid saw against my ported 76cc BB 044 build. This saw absolutely dominates the BB 044 on torque. The 044 has similar chain speed when you can keep it spun up, but it's really easy to dog down compared to this 500i.

Now the question is what do I call this saw? The Franken500i? The 566i? Just the 500i hybrid? Deep questions I need to figure out.🤔

No ported 661. It's been a minute since I ran a 661...even then, it was a brand new stock saw that was having gremlins. Compared to the ported 66? I think the only place my 66 has the hybrid 500i is maybe in stall resistance. You can see in the vid that it still has a tendency to grab, but that was noodling oak with one of my softwood chains. I need to take it out seriously cutting, but I think this hybrid saw is going to be a killer when it comes to a falling saw.

I need to run both saws back to back now...I don't run the 066 enough to really have a good feel for it. I did run the hybrid saw against my ported 76cc BB 044 build. This saw absolutely dominates the BB 044 on torque. The 044 has similar chain speed when you can keep it spun up, but it's really easy to dog down compared to this 500i.

Now the question is what do I call this saw? The Franken500i? The 566i? Just the 500i hybrid? Deep questions I need to figure out.🤔
Sure wood like to get my hands on a hopped 500 and compare it to my hopped 661. Either of my 661's walk all over my 660, but the 660 is pretty much stalk. I cut with a guy that has a couple 500's at his home down south. Up here he was running a 661 and a 585 He told me a stock 500 didn't have the low end power and torque a stock 661 has. IMOP, other than a good chain. Low end torque is a must in the bigger wood. Especially when the tip is burried and pulling! 👍

I'm just running all-terrains on both of my pickups. My Dodge diesel doesn't see that many miles, so I have a little more agro tires on it(Cooper stt pro.) It helps it in most situations and I'd be worried that it would chew through a set of dedicated snow tire. The diesels seem to chew through rear tires, especially the manuals...I'm not doing smoky burnouts, but I guess the torque is hard on the drive tires. That truck sucks in the snow, even in 4wd.)

The Tacoma is my daily driver and really does well in the snow regardless of what tires I have on there...the small/midsize pickups are much better in that regard. I'm running the Cooper Discoverer AT3s on it...they clean out well in deep snow. They just don't wear as well as the crappy stock Goodyears...those would howl hard around corners, but take forever to wear out.

My only complaint about the Taco, is you have to be in low range to use the locker. I understand that they are worried about some idiot ripping around with the locker engaged and spinning it sideways...I've had a few vehicles that were auto locked or spooled/lincoln-locked, and they took a light touch with the throttle in snow...but really useful on hills and deep snow. My old k20 has a Detroit in the back and a posi in the front...talk about an interesting truck to drive in the snow. It would kill it in the snow, just "odd" going around corners.

20211227_103142.jpg.42fdbdc689b38b0f0b9fc0f1c4660f30.jpg
What happened to Global Warming?!!

Sure wood like to get my hands on a hopped 500 and compare it to my hopped 661. Either of my 661's walk all over my 660, but the 660 is pretty much stalk. I cut with a guy that has a couple 500's at his home down south. Up here he was running a 661 and a 585 He told me a stock 500 didn't have the low end power and torque a stock 661 has. IMOP, other than a good chain. Low end torque is a must in the bigger wood. Especially when the tip is burried and pulling! 👍

Yeah, I'd like to compare this saw back to back with a 661. This saw feels like a peppier 90ish cc saw rather than only being 80cc. It pulls really well for its size, yet is very responsive. I suspect that I can even pick up more low end with this build...I might take it apart again and do a little more machine work.

The 500s seem to be all over the board stock. The stock piston looks like Stevie Wonder machined the skirt with a sawzall. The stock piston didn't really look machined on the skirt...you could see that it was ground to a shape roughly resembling the floor of the intake...I reiterate "roughly." I heard about it, but didn't believe it until I pulled my saw apart...most of the modern Stihls have really nice looking pistons, so I was a bit surprised.

It probably explains why some people have different opinions of the 500i. Some guys have had stock saws that were peaky and lacked torque. Mine, despite the Stevie Wonder piston, has always seemed to be a good runner. I just didn't totally consider it a replacement for a 90cc saw until now.

Yes!👍 The roll played by the 30-06 in US military history is another solid testament to the iconic cartridge! IMOP, It is simply one of the very best cartridges ever developed. Everything about it. Manufacturing costs, ammo availability, ownership popularity, low recoil energy, accuracy, hunting capabilities, the wide rage of different factory loads, hand load capabilities,.....How much time you got? I could go on and on! 👍
Fun story about the 30/06.

When I was about 5 or 6 we went back east to take care of my grandfather who was a ww2 vet. He passed away in 2003, and I don't remember much about him as never got to spend much time with him, but I do remember him talking about carrying a BAR in the service in germany. That man HATED germans. He would have a heart attack and die a second time if he knew my wife was of German decent. I remember while we were there he had a old german helmet that hung on a fence post at the back of his property, and first thing he would do every morning was grab is 1903 Springfield, walk out on the porch, yell some profanity about germans, shoot the helmet, and then go about his day.

Post a video of saw cutting. 👍

Hard to run stock saws , after running ported ones , its like why haven’t I’ve been doing this all along . lol 😆

Yeah, I'd like to compare this saw back to back with a 661. This saw feels like a peppier 90ish cc saw rather than only being 80cc. It pulls really well for its size, yet is very responsive. I suspect that I can even pick up more low end with this build...I might take it apart again and do a little more machine work.

The 500s seem to be all over the board stock. The stock piston looks like Stevie Wonder machined the skirt with a sawzall. The stock piston didn't really look machined on the skirt...you could see that it was ground to a shape roughly resembling the floor of the intake...I reiterate "roughly." I heard about it, but didn't believe it until I pulled my saw apart...most of the modern Stihls have really nice looking pistons, so I was a bit surprised.

It probably explains why some people have different opinions of the 500i. Some guys have had stock saws that were peaky and lacked torque. Mine, despite the Stevie Wonder piston, has always seemed to be a good runner. I just didn't totally consider it a replacement for a 90cc saw until now.
You ever use Wisco pistons ?

You ever use Wisco pistons ?
Dose Wiseco machine pistons fir saws? I know they do fir dirt bikes. Im not a Wiseco piston fan. They're MX pistons are really light to shave weight fir MX racing. They don't last as long as other after market pistons like Vetex or as long as OEM from what I understand. However, I may be wrong about that.

Hunting season is also the best cuttin and dirtbike riding season. They just need to deal. Like the idiots who hunt turkey right off the side of singletrack trails. Roost 'em on the way by.
I actually got held at gun-point by a jackass turkey hunter. Neither one of us was technically supposed to be there...he wanted to call the sheriff on me for trespassing...he gave up when I told him my GoPro was recording and he'd get charged with with brandishing a firearm as well as trespassing.

It's private timberland and the company really doesn't give a hoot about dirtbikers as long as you don't cause any trouble or create drama. The kicker was that he was hunting off a singletrack that I cut...I ended up finding his truck out there and may or may not have pulled a valve stem... 🤷‍♂️ Enjoy your walk #$@%head.
I love to ride off-road almost as much as I love to hunt. That's why there is no off-roading or off road trials in the remote wilderness areas I hunt. Unless you consider game trails single track! 😂🤣👍

Dose Wiseco machine pistons fir saws? I know they do fir dirt bikes. Im not a Wiseco piston fan. They're MX pistons are really light to shave weight fir MX racing. They don't last as long as other after market pistons like Vetex or as long as OEM from what I understand. However, I may be wrong about that.
Yea they make them for chainsaws . https://www.chainsawcc.com/collections/pistons

I had to give up archery due to a shoulder surgery. I have had my left shoulder fixed 4 times since 1993. The last time was 2013. My surgeon said the next time will be a replacement. I am being somewhat careful with it.
Are crossbows legal?

As a stop gap measure you could try putting Slime tire sealer in the tires. If you put enough in, inflate the tires and flip them around for a while so all surfaces inside are covered, they will seal well in my experience: l stop gapped the cracked tires on my father’s zero turn three seasons ago and they are still holding air.
There are better stuff out there then slime, that won't rot the rim out, but as a stop gap for short term use it does work pretty well. That diesel hustler mower I got off my old man and fixed up last winter was chalk full of slime. The tires were so shot I was amazed anyone of them held air. What a mess when I went to change them. I had to replace the main drive wheels, they were rotten from the inside.

Back