Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got all the white oak busted and in the truck. Now, Where to put it…View attachment 1033508View attachment 1033509
That's a nice haul.
How's that dodge to hauling it 😉.
I like my 261 randy did, it's a great runner. May be selling it though, too many saws to keep fuel thru with starting this new job, and I prefer my 550mk1 for limbing. Mine does a great job running a 20x3/8.

It's been busy with all the snow moving here but I managed to get a cord of it loaded up in my truck for delivery. Lol 🤣. -5°C or about 23°F with the wind blowing this morning. Set aside the poplar and got an arm load of maple and ash this morning. Time for a real fire. Drinking coffee and catching up on the last 10 pages here.... putting off getting back on the tractor and digging out again.
View attachment 1033558View attachment 1033559View attachment 1033561
Nice load Jeff lol.
I wasn't looking forward to moving snow here either, mainly because I miss read the weather app and thought it was gonna be 4f here, that was the "feels like" :rolleyes:. Still not wanting to do it because the ground isnt frozen, but I've got my bibs up from the basement, so I'll get it done a little later. Probably also do the edges of the roof, hopefully the boy will give some assistance, he really likes shoveling, but has a friend here so we'll see who wins out.

Since we're scrounging road bikes now .. my '80 XS1100 midnight special. The xs11 was the first bike to run an 11 second 1/4 mile. Top speed wasn't insane, it would do a bit better than a buck and a quarter without the bags and windshield and me in a t-shirt but it sure got to a buck quick! I surprised a few guys on sport bikes. The best is when I rode with my Harley buddies and guys would walk past the Harleys in a parking lot to groove on my old jap bike. That's my favorite niche, mid 70's through early 80's. I sold this in a financial pinch 8 years ago when propane prices spiked. It heated my house for the rest of the winter and then I got into wood heat and here I am..
FB_IMG_1668954563372.jpg

Sorry about the 4 letter words, I'm a realist, snow happens :laugh:

I've been watching the radar out further than normal since I've been driving. You could see the SE corner of all the great lakes getting slammed with lake effect, everywhere else not much going on.
We had some pretty nasty stuff around the state, since Michigan in general is SE of the lakes. Looks like it's letting up now and will be stopping here completely by noon. I'm gonna clear the drive today now that it's done. Well over 12" here, the car and mini van are dragging thru it. At least here we didn't get the sloppy wet stuff first, that's what made it a mess everywhere else. Driving in dry snow is a breeze, when it's sloppy or turns to ice on the road, it's a whole different story.
I'm glad we don't have to deal with what their getting in Buffalo.
This week it's supposed to be above freezing all week, and they are calling for 45 and rain Thursday, it's gonna be a mess :baba:.
This morning.
View attachment 1033560
Yea, I really don't have any right to complain, when we get snow here, it's usually just a couple of inches. It's just the idiots on the roads.
We don't even get snow like we did when we were kids. Then, we'd get a couple of storms a year that would leave 6-12" behind. Nothing like what you guys get.

Yea, I really don't have any right to complain, when we get snow here, it's usually just a couple of inches. It's just the idiots on the roads.
We don't even get snow like we did when we were kids. Then, we'd get a couple of storms a year that would leave 6-12" behind. Nothing like what you guys get.
With the wind down there blowing the snow, the roads get nasty as it fills in all the small holes, then the roads become a skating rink. I'll take driving in 6-8" of powder any day :yes:.
Little tip for those unaware, that helps greatly in the shoulder season and when temps get above freezing or the roads are wet; as soon as you can see others tread lines(4 or 5 lines usually depending on the tire) on the road, and the snow begins to blow around on the road(kinda swirling), and there is less spray off tires, you're driving into the danger zone! Often times I say this is the most dangerous time for driving on snow/ice, because everything is great, then it switches, and the cars begin to spin out, I like to watch a rear wheel drive vehicle to know just how bad it is as they will start to skid first typically. The truck I'll be driving now has traction control and it will tell me if I break traction, so now I don't even need to pay attention as much :havingarest:.
I remember the 76/77 storm up here, that was a big one, we were snowed in pretty bad. Good thing back then people were a bit tougher and better prepared, can't imagine that happening here these days. It's absurd, every time it snows here I think theres an advisory or a special weather statement:crazy2:, whatever, it's Michigan.

The danger zone!
Picked this one because it was 3:46 long(346xp), then it said 3:45 when I got there lol.
Cmon Kenny :guitar: "Loggings":chainsaw::chop::blob2::lol:.

With the wind down there blowing the snow, the roads get nasty as it fills in all the small holes, then the roads become a skating rink. I'll take driving in 6-8" of powder any day :yes:.
Little tip for those unaware, that helps greatly in the shoulder season and when temps get above freezing or the roads are wet; as soon as you can see others tread lines(4 or 5 lines usually depending on the tire) on the road, and the snow begins to blow around on the road(kinda swirling), and there is less spray off tires, you're driving into the danger zone! Often times I say this is the most dangerous time for driving on snow/ice, because everything is great, then it switches, and the cars begin to spin out, I like to watch a rear wheel drive vehicle to know just how bad it is as they will start to skid first typically. The truck I'll be driving now has traction control and it will tell me if I break traction, so now I don't even need to pay attention as much :havingarest:.
I remember the 76/77 storm up here, that was a big one, we were snowed in pretty bad. Good thing back then people were a bit tougher and better prepared, can't imagine that happening here these days. It's absurd, every time it snows here I think theres an advisory or a special weather statement:crazy2:, whatever, it's Michigan.

The danger zone!
Picked this one because it was 3:46 long(346xp), then it said 3:45 when I got there lol.

You'll probably be loaded pretty heavy most of your miles, that's a huge bonus. The dedicated run I used to have going to Toronto and back was plastic parts one way and empty containers the other, never more than about 6,000 lbs.

You'll probably be loaded pretty heavy most of your miles, that's a huge bonus. The dedicated run I used to have going to Toronto and back was plastic parts one way and empty containers the other, never more than about 6,000 lbs.
Not really, flowers aren't that heavy when doing our distribution runs twice a week, eggs are a lot heavier, and a full load can get you up to gross, but I'm not sure how much of that I'll be doing.
Back in the day when I was hauling a lot of cereal out of Battle Creek, those loads weren't over 14 iirc, pop tarts were a whole different story as was the paper on our return runs. That being said, 80 is only 30 over what the 8-axle setups I ran for many yrs weighed lol.
Kinda weird running these new automatic transmission trucks, I've ran them a bit, but just when I hauled drywall and when I went to driving school back in 93. Funny to think Eaton had them back then. I still find myself reaching for the clutch when pulling up to a light and the RPM go down, then it downshifts :oops:. Not that I feel like a manual would be better for hauling these "lighter" loads, just different. It certainly makes my job easier, so I'm good with it. The truck I was in last week training is a 2020 Volvo, he has 333k on it and he said he's had no issues with the trans in it or the last one he had. They are putting me in a 2018 Volvo iirc(one of their oldest trucks), #35 I remember that lol, They have another they want me in permanently, but it's in the shop right now.

Not really, flowers aren't that heavy when doing our distribution runs twice a week, eggs are a lot heavier, and a full load can get you up to gross, but I'm not sure how much of that I'll be doing.
Back in the day when I was hauling a lot of cereal out of Battle Creek, those loads weren't over 14 iirc, pop tarts were a whole different story as was the paper on our return runs. That being said, 80 is only 30 over what the 8-axle setups I ran for many yrs weighed lol.
Kinda weird running these new automatic transmission trucks, I've ran them a bit, but just when I hauled drywall and when I went to driving school back in 93. Funny to think Eaton had them back then. I still find myself reaching for the clutch when pulling up to a light and the RPM go down, then it downshifts :oops:. Not that I feel like a manual would be better for hauling these "lighter" loads, just different. It certainly makes my job easier, so I'm good with it. The truck I was in last week training is a 2020 Volvo, he has 333k on it and he said he's had no issues with the trans in it or the last one he had. They are putting me in a 2018 Volvo iirc(one of their oldest trucks), #35 I remember that lol, They have another they want me in permanently, but it's in the shop right now.
Ah. I thought you said they didn't do flowers in the winter. No Volvos in our fleet, mostly International, some Freightliners and a handful of Peterbilts and Kenworths.

The danger zone!

Yes, we get that wet snow which turns into ice/slushy mess. I remember one time, I was having trouble making it up hill after turning onto a road. Do you think those A$$holes (StL) would wait and let me clear the hill. No! they kept turning the same corner and passing me so I'd have to start and stop, loosing my momentum.
Once on the interstate, the roads would be packed and changing lane for merging traffic was like a boat jumping the wake of a boat in front of you. once your tires were in the ruts, you were fine.

The weather on Kodiak Island can be very peculiar.
Southerlies and Easterlies bring warmer temps and precipitation. Northerlies and Westerlies bring colder temperatures off main land AK. It can be rain fir weeks through Fall and Winter or it can be cold fir weeks through Fall and Winter. North Easterlies can bring heavy wet snow or freezing rain.

In short, wind directions determine what kind of weather we get here on the Island.

So far this Fall. Kodiak hasn't seen a hole lot of snow.

That's a nice haul.
How's that dodge to hauling it 😉.
I like my 261 randy did, it's a great runner. May be selling it though, too many saws to keep fuel thru with starting this new job, and I prefer my 550mk1 for limbing. Mine does a great job running a 20x3/8.
Yes they’re awesome runners! I cut that tree with the 462, limbed it with that too. I didn’t take the 261 down the hill the other day when I dropped it. Took the 261 down yesterday for a few branches I missed and to finish cutting a couple rounds. All stacked today.4A800443-F915-4ED8-8BC8-E0598F975351.jpeg

Heard a chipper running just down the road from me. Went to see what's going on. Long story short, they're thinning out some dead/mistletoe trees and I get all the wood! Good start for next year's supply. Told them they don't need to chip anything bigger than 2 inches. It's all BTUs to me!

Ah. I thought you said they didn't do flowers in the winter. No Volvos in our fleet, mostly International, some Freightliners and a handful of Peterbilts and Kenworths.
That's what I was thinking, but they just don't do the outdoor flower deliveries at Meijer in the winter, for obvious reasons lol. We still do them at the docks.
I've never drove a Volvo on a normal basis, the 2020 I was in last week road like a 4-wheeler compared to the trucks I've driven, I'm not gonna complain about driving them :).

That's what I was thinking, but they just don't do the outdoor flower deliveries at Meijer in the winter, for obvious reasons lol. We still do them at the docks.
I've never drove a Volvo on a normal basis, the 2020 I was in last week road like a 4-wheeler compared to the trucks I've driven, I'm not gonna complain about driving them :).
Times have certainly changed brother. The only noisy, stinky, uncomfortable trucks left on the road are being driven by guys who either want them that way or are stuck working for a **** company after a drunk driving.

Times have certainly changed brother. The only noisy, stinky, uncomfortable trucks left on the road are being driven by guys who either want them that way or are stuck working for a **** company after a drunk driving.
I thought I was gonna have to work for one of those companies since I haven't been in the truck for nearly 10yrs, these guys are self insured so they were able to take me on. I'm grateful for that :yes:.
Crazy/lots of hrs would be the only downside I've seen so far, but if a guy can put up with that there are plenty of upsides. Finding a driving job is like finding a woman, gotta find the crazy you can deal with 🤣.

Latest posts

Back