Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the local rental Co. grease the I-beam when a splitter is returned, yet I've never done that. Didn't think there was that much drag there. Maybe I should start.

Speaking of cylinder oil temp, I was wondering about that too. I once thought my first engine on my splitter locked up because either it wasn't getting enough oil circulated inside because of the cold/viscosity or the hydraulic oil was thicker because of the cold causing the engine to strain. We've been over that before and it was probably just a bad engine. Still, I was wondering about one of those dip stick oil heaters for cars inserted into the oil reservoir of a splitter. Really needed?
Depending on the source of information the temps you get will vary. Typically 180*f is fine. Not onheard of to see 200*f on a dozer or heavy equipment, but a lot of them use the engine coolant to cool the hydraulics. Here at work the hydraulics are ran very cold. 120*f is considered too high on a few machines.

I've toured this sub and through their museum...

Muskegon, Michigan: WWII Submarine Silversides America's "most famous surviving submarine" sank 23 Japanese ships during World War II. A stationary attraction since 1987, you can take a tour.

Fair bit to see there...

SR

We have covered a lot of topics in here but I do believe this was a first for battleships. It's a really good thing that we can discuss "other stuff" now.

:givebeer:
i wonder if we can add (and stuff) and get close to but not skirt the issues.... pun intended!
i like submarine pix...

1669907863898.png

I've toured this sub and through their museum...

Muskegon, Michigan: WWII Submarine Silversides America's "most famous surviving submarine" sank 23 Japanese ships during World War II. A stationary attraction since 1987, you can take a tour.

Fair bit to see there...

SR
the Cavalla is here in Galveston. it was in the bay as McArthur was signing peace papers with the - - s. i have toured it. i noticed most visitors were in and out in 15 mins or so... i was 'out on patrol' for over 2 hours... it was all fascinating. i particularly liked the kitchen and mess hall! even got down and crawled down (bed deckside) into the captain's berth... what they call his stateroom. about big closet size... called for a few out the front tubes, then lowered the periscope.
1669908255660.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cavalla_(SS-244)

i wonder if we can add (and stuff) and get close to but not skirt the issues.... pun intended!
i like submarine pix...

View attachment 1036590
any of you guys putting up christmas trees yet? i see some saying lights etc. we have lots down here. real. artificial. palm... but generally, most prefer real or artificial....
zzzzxpt.JPG

howdy! 🤠

how did your suburban engine leak project turn out? back on the road again? ...err, i mean back in the snow again?
I finally got the last of my parts and put it together last week. It technically “runs” but only on 4 cylinders since I deleted the AFM. I was gonna send the computer to Texas speed for tuning but they refuse to ship it any way other then FedEx which means I’ll never see it again where I am, and no one local can do it. I ordered a OBD2 AFM disabler and I’m hoping it will at least run with that, but I’ll probably end up having to order a program like HDtunes to program it myself.

It’s been a pain in the ass every step of the way.

My wife has her own splitter, I dont like it its too heavy, she finds the weight helps split. Bless her!
Well her splitter says 4kg on it, it is quite old and does not look a pretty sight but she likes it. Some may say that I should not let her split but she can fight ,drive a lorry, ride British bikes and large jappers ,shoot hand guns shotguns and rifles,lug bale's of hay and straw, use a chainsaw and lug lengths of wood about. Not started her sharpening chains yet and next year a bit of rotorvating is on the list so why not split rounds she is only 61. Hers is on the left and all the others are mine.IMG_20221201_134816.jpg

Yesterday I was going to sell my 3pth logsplitter. After welding a bracket up that holds the splitter valve and greasing it all up I decided to split some big rounds that I can't lift. I found that it is easier to roll these onto that splitter than it is to flip them flat onto my 37 ton NorthStar vertical/horizontal splitter. After quartering a half dozen rounds I changed my mind and this splitter is staying. More to come on the SuperSplit.

While messing with the 3pth splitter yesterday I decided to upgrade my SuperSplit splitter. I always felt it was a little bit underpowered with the 5.5hp Honda motor. This splitter is around 30+ years old and that motor is the original one. Over the past 10 years I picked up two low usage Honda 6.5hp motors that came off of frozen powerwashers just in case my 5.5hp motor died. Today i swapped out the motors. What a difference that 1hp made to this splitter. It feels like a totally new machine. I loaded up some big Ash rounds in my bucket and let the SuperSplit have some fun. I wish I had done this swap years ago.

Attachments

• 20221201_142607.jpg
    20221201_142607.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221201_142614.jpg
    20221201_142614.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221201_150452.jpg
    20221201_150452.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday I was going to sell my 3pth logsplitter. After welding a bracket up that holds the splitter valve and greasing it all up I decided to split some big rounds that I can't lift. I found that it is easier to roll these onto that splitter than it is to flip them flat onto my 37 ton NorthStar vertical/horizontal splitter. After quartering a half dozen rounds I changed my mind and this splitter is staying. More to come on the SuperSplit.
What's your opinion on the Northstar splitter? All the reviews said it's a pain to assemble

The breakout force is more than lifting capacity, interesting. On my machine breakout force is 24,700, lifting capacity is 26,800. But maybe they’re being measured to different points.
Thats kinda odd, normally breakout force is higher then lift capacity. it's a different measurement taken when crowding the bucket. Think popping out a tree stump. Boom all the way down, bucket down and curl back. Lift capacity is what the machine can safely lift and transport. Typically higher breakout force will mean higher lift capacity, but not always.
Kubota rates their loaders kinda odd, not with the bucket, but at the bucket pivot pin.

Well I tore into that redmax. It's toast. Scored top end. So I grabbed one of the two ryobi clones I picked up. Both same vintage. Tore into the one, same issue. Scored exhaust side. Grabbed number 3 pulled the muffler and boom. Good cylinder! Best part is this one has a zenoah top end on it. Tiny little exhaust outlet on all 3 saws. I'll fix that in short order. Started taking it apart, and realized this one looks like it has about no run time on it. Popped the carb apart gunk central, but the carb on the redmax looked cherry inside. So Franken saw it is! Few pics for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 20221201_162747.jpg
    20221201_162747.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221201_162758.jpg
    20221201_162758.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221201_182941.jpg
    20221201_182941.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221201_182944.jpg
    20221201_182944.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
What's your opinion on the Northstar splitter? All the reviews said it's a pain to assemble
I bought mine used and added the side wings to it. I also read that it is a project to assemble. If you have a lift or tractor that makes life easy to put it together. The splitter works fine. I just find that my 3pth splitter is easier to use than the vertical part of the North Star.

Back