Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MustangMike
Duncan, Great perseverance, I applaud you.

Buy the $10 Fiskar Axe sharpener, I could not believe how well it worked (only on the axe, it did not work for me on knives) and it is fast! That Axe relies on being sharp to split well.

I would also look for an 044/440 with compression relief to save some weight. With a dual port muffler and low restriction air filter, it will handle a 24" bar very well, especially with square file chain. Those 066s are great saws, but unless you are using longer bars, the additional weight may not be worth it.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Duncan, Great perseverance, I applaud you.

Buy the $10 Fiskar Axe sharpener, I could not believe how well it worked (only on the axe, it did not work for me on knives) and it is fast! That Axe relies on being sharp to split well.

I would also look for an 044/440 with compression relief to save some weight. With a dual port muffler and low restriction air filter, it will handle a 24" bar very well, especially with square file chain. Those 066s are great saws, but unless you are using longer bars, the additional weight may not be worth it.

Does the stone in your fiskars sharpener roll when you use it, or does it stay put sorta? Mine rolls too easy, it won't put an edge on anything no matter how much you try. Only fiskars product I have been disappointment with. There's no friction or grinding action, it just rolls.

MustangMike
Mine rolls, and it put an edge on my Axe with only 4 or 5 back and forth motions like I could not believe. It was almost knife sharp. It is the only sharpening product that I have tried and liked, but mine did not work on knives, just the Axe. It rolls, and it does not seem round (oblong?).

I'm not sure how good their quality control is on that product, it is not very expensive, maybe a certain percentage don't work, or maybe I just got lucky, but I was impressed.

For knives, I generally use a ceramic rod.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Mine rolls, and it put an edge on my Axe with only 4 or 5 back and forth motions like I could not believe. It was almost knife sharp. It is the only sharpening product that I have tried and liked, but mine did not work on knives, just the Axe. It rolls, and it does not seem round (oblong?).

I'm not sure how good their quality control is on that product, it is not very expensive, maybe a certain percentage don't work, or maybe I just got lucky, but I was impressed.

For knives, I generally use a ceramic rod.

I must have a bad one. All sorts of guys here said they use one and it works well, I have spent a total of hours with that thing trying it on various edged whatevers, including my fiskars splitter. Nothing, the grinder wheel rolls with the edge and removes nothing. I have tried pushing down hard, easy, medium, just holding the tool and freehanding it, every possible way you could put an edge through one..zip and nada. Basically for now I just take a flat file to it, but long ago lost the original edge angle, so I don't know what it is supposed to be. I sure would like an easier way to sharpen it.

Next time at tractor supply (where I got mine) I will look at another one and try it on some axe in the store, see if it works.

dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
. AS Supporting Member.
Dancan, Great perseverance, I applaud you.

No need to applaud , if they had their way , it would have been fused ,,,,,,Like that's gonna happen LOL
Don't worry about the saws , I've got plenty of saws to choose from and there isn't much around here that you couldn't take care of with a 16" on an 026 if I want to go light , I use my 361's the most though .
It's Dancan btw , I fixed it for you ;)

LLjTeD-3sZtAd7sc4evJEZt1wq497eD7gbodn_-cWws=w1427-h824-no

I'm just getting the edge broken in , not ready for the resharp service yet , still splits fine , plenty of life left in that edge :)

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks for the offer Clint !
Yup , I wouldn't mind cutting on your woodlot but a bit to much paperwork coming back with a load LOL
BTW they have officially labelled me as having a permanent disability and I don't have to prove nuthin cause I gots the pics that don't lie , can even get a fancy license plate for them premium parking spots if I want , a free fishing license and legally shoot deer out of a car on the road ;)

Well I got some more wood bucked but nothing came home as I broke the receiver hitch on my firewood truck as one side rusted through. Was able to get a spare ball bolted to the bumper to get the trailer home but with the bumper also being rusty I didn't want to chance it with 3000 lbs of firewood in tow. Very lucky it broke at low speed on an empty gravel road and not running down the highway.

Cutting wood in mid 80 degree heat is a lot like hard work. And Mosquitos, gnats, and ticks are out in full force. I've drank well over three gallons of fluids today and still feel dehydrated.

I'll post a few pics of my activity when I'm back into good phone reception.

I've got about two cords of birch/maple scrounge lined up but that's about all that I'm going to be cutting until fall.

Streblerm

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
I hit on a pretty nice craigslist scrounge. I emailed the guy and let him know I was interested in everything but I needed a few days to get it all out. He replied "first come first serve" and the ad will stay up until it's gone. I understand as there are a lot of flakes out there. I pulled out two truck loads today. The first was mostly red oak and mulberry with a bit of cherry and soft maple. The second load was all white oak. I split everything into manageable chunks with the fiskars. Everything that wouldn't split I left. I also passed on some pine and 40" soft maple. I may go back, but not today. My arms are so rubbery I can barely lift a beer up to my lips.

image.jpg

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I hit on a pretty nice craigslist scrounge. I emailed the guy and let him know I was interested in everything but I needed a few days to get it all out. He replied "first come first serve" and the ad will stay up until it's gone. I understand as there are a lot of flakes out there. I pulled out two truck loads today. The first was mostly red oak and mulberry with a bit of cherry and soft maple. The second load was all white oak. I split everything into manageable chunks with the fiskars. Everything that wouldn't split I left. I also passed on some pine and 40" soft maple. I may go back, but not today. My arms are so rubbery I can barely lift a beer up to my lips.

Good scrounge!

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
After lunch I went back to work , I humped the wood to a small ridge and stacked it there .

IMG_20140525_115010.jpg

Blocked it up in the woods and drug it out in the original RonCo wood hauler .

IMG_20140525_142012.jpg

Hope it all fits .

IMG_20140525_143844.jpg

Yup .

IMG_20140525_152101.jpg

The wife says this one looks like a cat .

IMG_20140525_144855.jpg

Scrounge on gentleman .

Latest posts