Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, and such a waste of time with all the IMHO's. While I'm not gonna purposely try to be offensive (most the time anyway), the need to put silly acronyms in to alert people not to retaliate is absurd, and a sign of how far society has gone in the wrong direction (is that legal to say, will I get reported lol).
I've seen that too, go against the narrative and people get all butthurt 🙄. That's why I like to give the guys who are in the "this is the only saw that will cut wood" crowd a hard time, I figure it builds character, and if not, I can at least laugh while they're crying 🤣.
Another good one is the guys "testing the waters" you wimp, just jump in. These guys are one of two things, too afraid to post a price because they'll get a hard time about it or they are just looking for someone to make them a real high offer :buttkick:. Same for the "I'll post pictures and a price if there's enough interest" 😒 whatever!

Not really much better than IMHO to me, we already know its "just" your opinion, and us husky guys take it with a grain of salt 😉.

Fixed😂

Fact, not opinion. Stihl makes some of the best bars on the market, although there are some aftermarket bars that wear better, but most are just as heavy.

I like the cflag" wagon, just got to be careful someone doesn't read that wrong, but in this day and age I'd get less slack for calling it a .ag wagon more than likely.

Not with that attitude 😃.
I wanted a raker grinder, everyone on here told me to get in line, well I have one and their still in line :dancing:. Just gotta be ready when one comes up. Many guys will ship too. A very nice 451c just sold on another forum like 3 weeks ago for 750.
Is there anyone around there that has a square grinder.

I give a lot of the cherry I cut to my neighbor, he loves it in the fireplace. He tried black locust in there :oops:, it was popping coals out onto the floor and stunk the whole house up, BL is not the best wood for a fireplace. He also gives me all the black locust he cuts or I drop for him. He still has athe tops from three I cut for him this spring laying out back,, he got sick after his booster shots and hasn't been able to do much since :(.

You should see all the logs I cut into firewood, that's after I give a bunch of them away. I hate to burn it, but it cost money to get them to someone to make lumber out of them, and I don't really need the lumber at the moment unless I did my whole pole barn in wood, which I'm not doing. If I did, I'd want to use all BL or white oak as they are rot resistant.

Clean that thing up a bit, we don't want to look like those stihl guys with dirty saws, us husky guys gotta represent!
☝️Im talking specifically LW bars!
What aftermarket LW bars do you speak of that are "just as heavy" as the lightest bars on the market?

Fact- STIHL LW's are the lightest bars on the market "ln My Opinion Period"!

Im changing my "IMOP" invention!!!😡 You can't fix or change my Invention! Only I can fix or change my Invention! So there!!!

Im very familiar with the after market solid steel one piece bars with precision ground rails. Been running them fir 25+ years! 👍😉

Why would you want a "raker grinder"? Why would anyone want a "raker grinder"? 🤣🤣🤣
Flat file + a couple light strokes at a slight angle = job done "IMOP"! (it means IN MY OPINION PERIOD!!!)🤣👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 😉

☝️Im talking specifically LW bars!
What aftermarket LW bars do you speak of that are "just as heavy" as the lightest bars on the market?

Fact- STIHL LW's are the lightest bars on the market "ln My Opinion Period"!

Im changing my "IMOP" invention!!!😡 You can't fix or change my Invention! Only I can fix or change my Invention! So there!!!

Im very familiar with the after market solid steel one piece bars with precision ground rails. Been running them fir 25+ years! 👍😉

Why would you want a "raker grinder"? Why would anyone want a "raker grinder"? 🤣🤣🤣
Flat file + a couple light strokes at a slight angle = job done "IMOP" (it means IN MY OPINION PERIOD!!!)🤣🤣🤣

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Stihl LW bars are the lightest...fact, not opinion.

When I give an opinion its usually based on advice and my polite way if saying "this is how it was, is, and forever will be. Take it or leave it!" 😉

This place has a mellow vibe to it...so I try to be really polite and mellow on this forum, I'm a bit different on the dirtbike forum I'm on. People are less mellow there and they have a few members that are confident morons. I'm a much better offroad rider than I am a cutter...so I'm pretty blunt with the morons on that site. They'll just pass on really outdated or blatantly false information to new members looking for advice. I don't really get pissy with them, I'll just casually troll them...they eventually lose their cool and show themselves for who they are.

This place has a mellow vibe to it...so I try to be really polite and mellow on this forum, I'm a bit different on the dirtbike forum I'm on. People are less mellow there and they have a few members that are confident morons. I'm a much better offroad rider than I am a cutter...so I'm pretty blunt with the morons on that site. They'll just pass on really outdated or blatantly false information to new members looking for advice. I don't really get pissy with them, I'll just casually troll them...they eventually lose their cool and show themselves for who they are.
I can tell you know what's up on two wheels!👍 I've been riding dirt since second grade, but am pretty humble about my riding skills because I know there are literally hundreds of thousands of dirt riders out there on two wheels that are a lot faster than I am. I'd much rather be the slowest ridder in the group and STIHL be invited to saddle up fir next weeks ride. Vs. be the fastest rider in the group surrounded by idiots slower than snails that think they are actually fast and can really ride! 🤣🤣🤣
That being said. "In my humble opinion" (IMHO not to be confused with my invention IMOP😉) I'm a much better Cutter than an off-road rider! Yes this place has a very mellow vibe, so I try to play nice. Unfortunately I get a little arrogant and straight forward sometimes and I apologize fir that. However, cut'n timber out of logging camps and commercial fishing on crab boats for 25+ years will make a man grow some pretty thick skin and tell it like he sees it! 👍

I always say. "Judge me for being me, but don't judge me fir speaking my mind!" 🤔 Or is it the other way around? 😉

I can tell you know what's up on two wheels.👍 I've been riding dirt since second grade, but am pretty humble about my riding skills because I know there are literally hundreds of thousands of dirt riders out there on two wheels that are a lot faster than I am. I'd much rather be the slowest ridder in the group and STIHL be invited to saddle up fir next weeks ride. Vs. be the fastest rider in the group surrounded by idiots slower than snails that think they are actually fast and can really ride! 🤣🤣🤣

I figure no matter how good we are at something, there's someone who's better. I used to be legitimately fast on a dirtbike, but was always amazed by the pure speed that my AMA pro mx'er friend had in more open terrain.

I really ate humble pie when I took up riding observed trials. I went from being one of the local fast guys to being the guy that's struggling at everything. Luckily trials guys are maybe the nicest group of people you'll ever meet. They have infinite amounts of patience for people like me and I even had to let them know that it was ok to make fun of me. A couple of the trials guys I rode with were local pros, in what sport will a professional hang out and coach a newb?

I try to bring that same trials attitude to dirtbikes. I'm not afraid to ride with newer/slower riders, as long as they have a positive attitude and want to learn. One of my favorite riding partners is considerably slower than me, but he insists that we ride trails/obstacles that challenge him. The guys that lose their cool and get all pissy, don't get invites to go riding again.

I figure no matter how good we are at something, there's someone who's better. I used to be legitimately fast on a dirtbike, but was always amazed by the pure speed that my AMA pro mx'er friend had in more open terrain.

I really ate humble pie when I took up riding observed trials. I went from being one of the local fast guys to being the guy that's struggling at everything. Luckily trials guys are maybe the nicest group of people you'll ever meet. They have infinite amounts of patience for people like me and I even had to let them know that it was ok to make fun of me. A couple of the trials guys I rode with were local pros, in what sport will a professional hang out and coach a newb?

I try to bring that same trials attitude to dirtbikes. I'm not afraid to ride with newer/slower riders, as long as they have a positive attitude and want to learn. One of my favorite riding partners is considerably slower than me, but he insists that we ride trails/obstacles that challenge him. The guys that lose their cool and get all pissy, don't get invites to go riding again.
Good on ya! Yeah, don't get me wrong and Im not saying you are. Im not against riding with slower riders. As long as they arn't arrogant but clueless at the same time as to there level of ridding skills! I'm often one of the slower wolves in the pack myself. A lot if my riding partners are simply gutsier than I am on hits and hills. I don't want to break myself or my bike! That gets expensive quick. Im hard enough on power saws! 😂😉

I've heard that about trials ridders! Every time I see A Geoff Arron interview. He is really soft spoken and humble. Nothing like a Pro MX'er!

Good on ya! Yeah, don't get me wrong and Im not saying you are. Im not against riding with slower riders. As long as they arn't arrogant but clueless at the same time as to there level of ridding skills! I'm often one of the slower wolves in the pack myself. A lot if my riding partners are simply gutsier than I am on hits and hills. I don't want to break myself or my bike! That gets expensive quick. Im hard enough in power saws! 😂😉

I've heard that about trials ridders! Every time I see A Geoff Arron interview. He is really soft spoken and humble. Nothing like a Pro MX'er!
I had a pretty gnarly crash a few years ago that slowed me down for awhile...I hear you on not wanting to break yourself. I was lucky to not end up in a wheelchair after that one. My pro-mx'er friend is paraplegic after a racing incident several years ago. Just a couple weeks ago, a local riding passed away after a slow speed tip-over in some of the more extreme terrain that I often ride on.

I sometimes fool myself into thinking that the uber-technical/hard enduro stuff is safe because the speeds are so slow...however, a fatal fall is still a definite possibility. I'm not going to give it up, but having respect for the terrain goes a long way in avoiding accidents.

I had a pretty gnarly crash a few years ago that slowed me down for awhile...I hear you on not wanting to break yourself. I was lucky to not end up in a wheelchair after that one. My pro-mx'er friend is paraplegic after a racing incident several years ago. Just a couple weeks ago, a local riding passed away after a slow speed tip-over in some of the more extreme terrain that I often ride on.

I sometimes fool myself into thinking that the uber-technical/hard enduro stuff is safe because the speeds are so slow...however, a fatal fall is still a definite possibility. I'm not going to give it up, but having respect for the terrain goes a long way in avoiding accidents.
Most definitely! 👍 My dad had a bad crash at one of our local riding spots when my brother snd I were just kids. He was riding an old school Husky 500 two stroke duel spring rear shock. Remember those? Maroon and polished metal gas tank?
Anyways, it put him in a comma fir a few weeks and in the hospital fir several months. Life flight learjet to Seattle. The whole works. Hit the ground do hard his chin strap on his helmet parted st the stitching. Bell moto 3 witch back then was a top of the line helmet. Doctors told my mom they didn't think he was gonna make it. He miraculously did fortunately. I was in third grade and ridding a RM60 at the time. I didn't ride for a couple years after that, and to this day a pretty conservative rider because of his crash. Dirt Bikes can be grumpy sleepers and get mean when you wake them up!

For me, it was more about the cheap reproduction plastics than anything. My 066 and 1 of my 044s had the dreaded leaky fuel caps that the screw-cap Stihls get. The 066 was leaking really bad, like 'out of service' bad. New caps/o-rings don't fix the leak and I think an OEM stihl tank is $180. The farmertec tanks cost less than $40, fit perfectly, and don't leak fuel.
reminds me of a tractor problem i had a bit back. tach cable took a powder. some online for other brands running $24.95 (back then) but a new one for my M-F was $175.00. and i did not want to run up the hours and not record them. and not wanting to..... pay out close to $200/w tax... i stalled for a bit. 100 hrs or so. then had an idea. so i went to the speedometer shop not too far from me. (big cities may have lots of crime, but they have everything! lol) . bot couple feet. but while it just fit diam ID/OD, i needed a square end. 💩! and i did not feel like making the tooling, mill, drill press, etc... so 'we' logged a few more unlogged hours... then i had an idea. and tried it. worked perfectly... and i had my square end 15 mins later! :cool: total cost for my 'new' tach drive/$12.00

still rpming, just fine! 👍
1670436252571.png

hope u have, found or made a leak-proof cap solution.

So, why not IMO or IMHO which are common?
Disclaimer.....as a guy who attempts to use the correct sayings, here are my interpretations:

"Just my opinion" has the qualifier of "just" meaning the person making the statement admits there may be a margin of error in their statement.

"In my opinion" means they are pretty sure they are in the right track.

IMHO could be "in my humble opinion" or "in my honest opinion". These could be used to portray that the person is being humble or honest...or this could be loaded with a twinge of sarcasm if the writer knows he's arguing with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

The tough part is not everyone follows the same guidelines and it is tough to convey tone across the internet...as opposed to talking with your SO in real life..if they say "fine" or "whatever" you know you are screwed. LOL.

In short I just accept IMHO, IMO, and JMO that the writer is saying they are expressing their truthful opinion.

JMHO (you like that one?)

I don't think anyone mentioned it, or if they did, I missed it(this thread moves fast)...but I just wanted to point out that this is Pearl Harbor Day. There's not many WW2 vets left, I think I read only 1.8%, so it's a good time to reflect on what their sacrifices meant. Not just the vets that saw active duty, but even the sacrifices the people at home had to endure.

That is why (at 70) I love my ported 462s!!! The power of a ported 77 cc saw with the weight of a 60 cc saw, spring AV, clean air filter tech, computer controlled (no stupid little screwdriver), what could be better??? I have a 20" bar on one and a 24" bar on the other. When the chain gets dull, I just switch saws.

I'm sure a 400 would be about the same, but the 462s were available first. FYI, both of mine are the "early lighter" 462s, and I've had no problems with them. I do, however, run premium 2 cycle oil (AMSOIL Saber) at 40:1 in all my saws. It makes a difference. I've done a good amount of milling with my 90 cc clones w/o any failures.
How the hell did you get to be 70 years old?

Then I tried to recall back what year I met you and it was several year ago now.

I always think of you at 62-64.

Latest posts

Back