Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marshy, thanks for the pics!

Chris, be careful with those wires, but enjoy the OT.
Thanks Mike. We're contracted by the power company to do all their line clearance so we're all trained and certified for high voltage....electric workers union too[emoji106] but not the same pay scale as the lineman[emoji45]

Yea, but be careful just the same. My friend was a Union Electrician. On day, he made a mistake and tried to put the wrong cover on the panel box. Got hit with thousands of volts, was an industrial building, sent him across the room. They gave him last rights, but he survived, but not for too long. He passed last year, and he was a few years younger than me. Of course, there were other factors. He generally would have more beers before breakfast than I drink in a week, but that is another story.

Just be careful, it is usually when you think it can't go wrong that it does.

Look like fierce little fellers Zog.

Especially that little female, she's broody..that's as far away from her nest as she will go, another around 3 weeks I think. Already had to shovel and shutup several dern payin tourists who got too close.... messy..especially them ripped up Hawaiian shirts... ;)

Damn right it's a steal and only 1800 hours. The guy down the road from me has a John Deere 855 for sale with only 1100 hrs and a front end loader and was asking $8500! No additional attachments. North of Syracuse NY

Philbert: You doing any clean-up cutting??? That tree is all messed up. It may have to be taken down.
No call-outs for us yet. We are most likely going to get a Mud-out call from Texas after the water drains off.
However, If the weather stays like this we may get a Chainsaw Call-out first.

Marshy: That is a deal. You need that tractor.

David

Slightly OT

What is it with string trimmers??? I swear they are the least reliable piece of OPE out there.

Of all of my spark plug toys I spend more time working on my string trimmers than everything else put together. I have three and only one of them runs. Actually runs great once I got those stupid caps off the carb screws and gave it s tune. Would barely start and ran at about half power before that.

I'm just about ready to throw the rest in the trash and sharpen up the scythe.

Slightly OT

What is it with string trimmers??? I swear they are the least reliable piece of OPE out there.

Of all of my spark plug toys I spend more time working on my string trimmers than everything else put together. I have three and only one of them runs. Actually runs great once I got those stupid caps off the carb screws and gave it s tune. Would barely start and ran at about half power before that.

That's why so many of these companies are going to a universal battery/charger system and then various yard tools. They start instantly and work. The industry is still shaking out, but for sure this is the hand writing on the wall for the future, especially for just one yard quantity work tools.

@Marshy , be careful with the old Ford tractors. When New Holland bought them out, they basically stopped making spare parts, and dealer support is not the best. If you have a good New Holland dealer nearby with an old parts man who knows what cross-references with what, you'll probably be ok. Otherwise, steer clear. We had to sell our mid 70's 9600 last summer because the PTO bearing that we had just put in it a couple years before was the last one that our dealer could find, and with the particular design of that tractor, the bearing was a 3-5 year part at best.

Oh, and they want more money for that green paint on the JD tractors. The Ford is probably worth the asking price when you factor in all the extras, but just barely, depending on condition.

Slightly OT

...certainly had my share of complete nightmare weedeaters as well over the years. And have sent a few to their final landfill resting place.

Chainsaws have rarely needed carb work. Brush saw has rarely needed carb work...but the darn weed wackers need something every year!!!
Couldn't agree more...I got lucky I guess several yes ago and bought a JD BC1600 model weedeater that came with a brush cuttin head/blade as well (later bought the lower end edger attachment) and it hasn't missed a beat. I mean not one time. Cranks every time within 3 pulls max. But I've got a couple of others that I try to use in the rotating mix as well, and they constantly act up and need attention.

Back