Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woot! Finally got around to fixing the furnace/blower. It's the original furnace, but with the OWB, I really only use it for the blower and duct system. It's about 28 years old so no service parts are available even if some energetic heating and cooling company wanted to try to fix it (and I wanted to pay them!)

The fan has been sticking either on or off and required tapping of the relay to get it to go to its proper state. So I have been doing that a few times a day and seting the thermostat high in the evenings so when I turned it off for the night the house was still above 60 in the morning.

After an exhaustive search, a direct replacement relay was no longer available. After even more searching I came up with the decoder page for the part number and was able to locate a substitute relay made by the same company (Potter & Brumfield - interesting company history) that was mechanically identical with a different sealed cover. Bonus, because I didn't want to solder in leads for a different pinout.

Sure enough, the old relay had a cracked solder joint, rattled, and had a stalagmite on one of the contacts so that explained the sticking. Soldered in the new relay and we are back in business! Cost: $25 for 6 relays versus $4000 for a new furnace. Somebody deserves a present!

Anybody want to buy 4 new relays?

Craigslist score, oak! Noodled with the 462, Got the ole tundra squatting.View attachment 1042688View attachment 1042689
Oh yeah! Right on! That's what Im talking about! Nicely done! Did you ever at all bottom out the overload spring up against the rubber stop. I use to all the time on my Tundra. It was standard procedure! Anything less was mediocre at best! You bottom out against the rubber stop on every little bump you hit going down the road? That's when you know your tastefully "OVERLOADED!!!"

My friend Harold and I set up the cabin walls using my rope winch. On a later WE, my brother and MechanicMatt joined us to set up the ridge beam on 17' posts.

We strapped extension ladders to the posts (taller than the posts) with a pulley up high to hoist up the ridge beam.

Was a lot of work!

Attachments

• Cabin31028 002.jpg
    Cabin31028 002.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • Cabin31028 006.jpg
    Cabin31028 006.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Fall+Cabin31112 006 (2).jpg
    Fall+Cabin31112 006 (2).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Fall+Cabin31112 010 (2).jpg
    Fall+Cabin31112 010 (2).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Jan2014 001 (2).jpg
    Jan2014 001 (2).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Cabin10-12-2014 004.jpg
    Cabin10-12-2014 004.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
We used the side slabs as angle braces and rafter ties, and I designed it so all the angle braces were above the second floor.

On the first floor the 20' X 24' span does not have any posts in the middle, and no angle braces to bump your head on.
Man that's impressive Mustang! I can definitely see the work involved. Cool man! good pictures and Good on ya!👍 When did you build it?

In the early 2000s I began work on building my new hunting cabin - post and beam - from Ash trees that had been blown down in a storm. Luckily, they were all "woods trees" with long, straight trunks and no branches until you got high up.

A few of the root balls fell back in place after I cut off the stems, but there was one that really surprised me. Likely the bottom was either not straight or damaged, so I was cutting it off about 12' up and was therefore very surprised when it rapidly stood up on me! Good thing I was not in the way of it, but it did make me jump back fast! It is right next to one of my old logging roads, so I still walk by it regularly, and the 12' standing stem serves as a reminder to always be careful!

The new cabin is 20' X 24' and two stories high and has plenty of room. The old cabin was 12' X 20' - one story and was like staying in a one car garage! I pre-fabbed the old cabin in my driveway, brought it up in PU trucks, and assembled it in a weekend. It sure beat staying in the tent, but space was tight!

I made the stain from Walnuts. If the stuff were inside, it would have worked great but leaving it outside the rain washed it out and we subsequently used store bought stain.
Ok, I see now early 2000's. 👍

From 2010 to 2015. Basically, when we had time to go up on WEs, and someone to go up with (it is about 2.5 hr trip from my home).

We stacked and stickered the wood for 2 years, and we had to wait on a dozer to level the site for us (it is built on an old Bluestone quarry, and we got the dozer to come over just before they finished working on the mountain.

The footings are all pinned to bedrock bluestone with rebar.

Hauling the logs down one at a time with an ATV, milling the logs (using a Beam Machine), site prep and footings, then doing the building itself. I cut and drilled all the angle iron brackets at home and brought them up. The dimensional lumber and plywood was all brought up in a trailer pulled by my 2010 Escape. The steep, curvy, unpaved 4WD road up to my cabin is 2 mi from the paved road. I got my money's worth out of that Escape. Had it for 9 years, made numerous trips up the mountain pulling supplies and/or the ATV, and the engine and drivetrain were still in great shape when I traded it in on my F-150, but it was starting to really rust underneath.

We did the concrete floor at a later date and wired the LED lights to work with our solar panels, batteries and inverters.

We recently talked about spring poles, this is on my property and will have to be dealt with eventually. The fallen tree has a small standing tree on each side, maybe I’ll just lift it over the broken one with the loader and take the pressure off of it.

View attachment 1042521
great pix! reminds me of deer hunting in upper Oregon....

Two in tandem was also a joke. 👍You really don't think I would purchase a trailer like that to tow behind a 400cc wheeler now do you? 😉
hey kid... to be honest, i was wondering why u purchased it in the first place? maybe to load up with firewood? sell some? in any even, no doubt a swell dump trailer! 👌

but was a bit of a surprise... :surprised3:

Change out a few words and that would describe a Maryland concealed carry course to a tee. :laugh:
hey Maico - like down here. made a big stink about CC the State of Texas did... then just tossed the rules out. now reads more or less.... anybody over well, here is a quote

21 years of age or older

HB 1927 (87th Leg. Session, 2021) — Relating to carrying of a firearm by a person who is 21 years of age or older and not otherwise prohibited by state or federal law from possessing the firearm. This law removed the requirement to have a license to carry in order to carry a handgun in Texas. Dec 5, 2022

Idk 🤔we will see🤣 is the 400cc a Honda? Cut safe stay sharp and always be overloaded!
i know one AS subscriber that is an expert at trailer/towing management!!! :innocent:
and imo, his packing and loading skills are close to: second to none!!

:givebeer:

In the early 2000s I began work on building my new hunting cabin - post and beam - from Ash trees that had been blown down in a storm. Luckily, they were all "woods trees" with long, straight trunks and no branches until you got high up.

A few of the root balls fell back in place after I cut off the stems, but there was one that really surprised me. Likely the bottom was either not straight or damaged, so I was cutting it off about 12' up and was therefore very surprised when it rapidly stood up on me! Good thing I was not in the way of it, but it did make me jump back fast! It is right next to one of my old logging roads, so I still walk by it regularly, and the 12' standing stem serves as a reminder to always be careful!

The new cabin is 20' X 24' and two stories high and has plenty of room. The old cabin was 12' X 20' - one story and was like staying in a one car garage! I pre-fabbed the old cabin in my driveway, brought it up in PU trucks, and assembled it in a weekend. It sure beat staying in the tent, but space was tight!

I made the stain from Walnuts. If the stuff were inside, it would have worked great but leaving it outside the rain washed it out and we subsequently used store bought stain.
:numberone:

Latest posts

Back