Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, ever since I was a teenager I’ve run full house. My dad always ran skip, and I always thought it was dumb.
Some people use different terminology. For me, ‘full comp’ (‘full complement’) is ‘standard’ sequence saw chain. ‘Full house’ is a specialty chain used for carving, cutting things like bamboo, and a few other things.

FE30D12C-5D08-4A6A-8ED4-EC3DB2CEA702.png

Philbert

Yes ours went to mill in 2019/2020. Even popple was paying enough for the guy to cut and take that as well. I haven't seen a red oak unfinished cabinet at HD in a few years. The ones I bought about 6 years ago for my one house were red oak the ones I bought not to long ago are now beech
Pretty much all my red oak became pallet wood.

Man, I feel stupid.

Trying to get a bunch of wood cut up and stacked for the wife because there is a good chance I will be gone for a few weeks for work. Running my 372xp with 28” bar and was time for a new chain. I was getting ready to pull out the roll of chain when I came across a few old chains of my dads.

Now, ever since I was a teenager I’ve run full house. My dad always ran skip, and I always thought it was dumb. We have small soft wood, my saws have no trouble pulling full house.

These chains were 32” and square ground slip tooth oregon, which is what the old man ran logging so I’m sure these are some of his old chains. They were pretty dull, so I cut a few kinks out to fit my 28” bar, and threw them on the grinder. Files the rakers with my well worn husky guage that gets them down about .035” where I like them.

Man does this skip tooth CUT. The saw sounds the same, but this chain is definitely smoother cutting and not any slower cutting then full house. Big chips, fast cutting and now I feel stupid for sharpening twice as many teeth as I needed to my whole life.
I feel like that's what allot of us do though. Dads say something and we ignore it only to find out they were on to something some time later. And then we repeat the process with our boys. Have to have the teaching process like @bob kern who on here a couple months ago told a story where his boy decided to go against him towing a load of water with the dump cart the clear opposite direction he asked him to go and up a steep grade. He seen it coming a mile away, shrugged his shoulders. Out came the water and on to bucketing it back and forth went the boy. Such is life, dads say something, we do opposite and then we learn something new.

In the spirit of making stuff from trees I felled and milled with my Alaskan mill...

I still have my 1960s vintage Wham-O Sportsman. As kids my neighbor and I always seemed to have a slingshot, BB gun, or hatchet in our hands... I shot a fair number of critters with the sling shot... sometimes using the course sand/stone dust the town spread on the road in the winter as "bird shot" for birds. Quarter inch steel balls were used for other game such as rabbits. I used it to encourage squirrels to move around the side of a tree so I could shoot it with a .22 also.

About 8 years ago I was playing with patterns in my woodworking shop to guide the cutters on my 3 HP shaper and bit on my router table. I made about 25 copies of the Sportsman out of white oak... The originals were made from ash but it was before the Emerald Ash Borer killed all the ash trees around here... once that happened I milled a lot of ash!

My copies were far more refined that the originals which were asymmetrical, full of saw marks, with crooked band slots. Mine are symmetrical and have no saw marks as I ran them through the shaper and router table, and then sanded them. I made the bands out of large rubber bands and the pouches out of split leather I had. I still have some of the slingshots but most were given to friends and used as bucket raffle prizes at my sportsmen's club.

Below is my '60s vintage Sportsman that I painted black. The others are some of the copies I made.

View attachment 1045835
Not long ago I found my old Wrist Rocket. Hollow plastic Y with surgical tubing. The hollow handle held ball bearing shot. Push a button and one dropped into your hand.

View attachment 1046319
I moved these logs with my three wheeler logs were 6'6"
We were going to mill the wood with the granberg for bridge boards hence the 6'6" length for the bride on the property but never got the time. Good thing is I bucked them with the Remingtons :chainsaw: and they are now in @Vtrombly woodpile :surprised3:

Some people use different terminology. For me, ‘full comp’ (‘full complement’) is ‘standard’ sequence saw chain. ‘Full house’ is a specialty chain used for carving, cutting things like bamboo, and a few other things.

View attachment 1046320

Philbert
That full house looks wicked :surprised3: I was thinking harvester but I guess I thought wrong

Pretty much all my red oak became pallet wood.
Yea pretty much same here it's either veneer pallet wood or firewood. One 600$ log everything else was not much. Our guy didn't haul anything away longer than 10-12' most were 8'4-6" and some 10'4" after measuring pallets I am pretty sure it was mostly pw. If you can get some real nice 16' logs I imagine those have some value in the trim world

View attachment 1046320

Philbert
I like the cutter less, can’t dull it.

Yea pretty much same here it's either veneer pallet wood or firewood. One 600$ log everything else was not much. Our guy didn't haul anything away longer than 10-12' most were 8'4-6" and some 10'4" after measuring pallets I am pretty sure it was mostly pw. If you can get some real nice 16' logs I imagine those have some value in the trim world
My logger cut everything to 8’ lengths. Said it was the easiest to sell. He had a mill from over an 1 hr away take the logs. I gotta look back at the tallys but I think my largest was about the low 30” range. Clear cut done in the 1950’s and here in my zone (which might be the same as you at 4) the oaks don’t grow fast at all. They were all pretty tight growth which would have been really nice QS timber.

View attachment 1046320

Philbert
Not sure who sharpened those chains, but the white/red cutters need some serious help, they look semi-sharpened 😉.

The good thing is they are white oak. Light color wood is in style right now from what the guys say up my way. Red oak is not as valuable as it once was 30 years ago.
Are you saying that the live Ash trees up at my property are now Highly Valuable Ash Trees!!! (HVAT)!!!

They are about as light as you can get!

Years ago, my cousin made a bar stool using a combo of Black Cherry heartwood and Ash. The contrast was striking!

Also, do they use Ash for trim much? I have LOTS of trees that are not big diameter but go about 70' straight up w/o a branch!

I have three left at 16+ ft two red and one white .I cut one of the white into two 8 footers and milled it .AE4C8723-1D60-4152-8B86-D80F3792EF32.jpegDE331872-DFF6-41CF-8D94-DCEA2855EA4D.jpegC3E3D87A-BA8E-4A15-8434-3CA043119492.jpeg9BF87548-CE95-4B1F-8D22-12876D2BB008.jpeg

Back