Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the components been coming down in cost a lot recently, seeing many better deals on ammo, I plan on doing a lot more shooting :yes:.
Stuff is still hard to find anywhere, so you often just buy where you find it. Locally, they generally really rip you off. If you can find it at Walmart or Cabela's, etc. It is often a lot less, but still a good deal more than it used to be. Even at Cabela's one powder is $10 more than another (don't know why), but at a local store the cheaper powder cost more than twice the Cabela's price.

Some powders and bullets seem impossible to find (Like RL 19 and RL 23) and 348 bullets, and primers are very tough to find, so you got to buy them when you find them (regardless of price). Cabela's may have 1,000 primers for $80, but they are gone by the time you get there, and locally you pay $140-$150 for them, but you need them. Seems like Hornady still sells loaded 348 ammo, but no longer sells the bullets as components ... which really pisses me off!

VM bullets (55 gr 22) are available at Midway USA for under $30.- and I got some CFE 223 powder at Cabela's for under $40.- So you just eat the cost of the primers and be happy! (I used to get 1,000 primers for less than $12.-).

But I got all the components I need to load the 338-06, and factory loaded ammo in that caliber is over $100.- for 20, so I will reload!

Looked for dies and about puked when I saw the prices. I just need to suck it up and start buying dies again.
Midway USA generally has a good selection of Lee dies in almost any caliber (including 338-06 and 348) and their prices are very reasonable (often less than 1/2 the price of competitors) and the Lee dies have worked well for me. I currently use them for 220 Swift, 308, 30-06, 338-06, and 300 Win Mag.

The maple syrup evaporator pan came today. I was a little apprehensive about ordering from Vevor because one review site said it was a scam and another said it was legit. Price for this 18x24x6 SS evaporator pan was roughly half of most places . The pan came promptly and good communication from time of purchase and shipping info . It’s very sturdy at 1.5 mm has a mirror finish inside and brushed outside . Welds are good not perfect but acceptable . 84ABB5C3-BAAE-42C5-B89A-6498F68DCB5D.jpegE354A3D0-FF8F-4985-B294-D17CE27D918E.jpeg

Black locust provides a great burn 🔥
So grateful to have an abundance of it here. But it may not always be that way, but I'll still work hard to get it as it is great wood. I have around 3 yrs of logs of it stacked up and muck more to round up yet, so for now I'm pretty set, and theres still a lot of other wood to clean up around here :clap:.

The maple syrup evaporator pan came today. I was a little apprehensive about ordering from Vevor because one review site said it was a scam and another said it was legit. Price for this 18x24x6 SS evaporator pan was roughly half of most places . The pan came promptly and good communication from time of purchase and shipping info . It’s very sturdy at 1.5 mm has a mirror finish inside and brushed outside . Welds are good not perfect but acceptable . View attachment 1053823View attachment 1053824
Most sap equipment I see is soldered

Stuff is still hard to find anywhere, so you often just buy where you find it. Locally, they generally really rip you off. If you can find it at Walmart or Cabela's, etc. It is often a lot less, but still a good deal more than it used to be. Even at Cabela's one powder is $10 more than another (don't know why), but at a local store the cheaper powder cost more than twice the Cabela's price.

Some powders and bullets seem impossible to find (Like RL 19 and RL 23) and 348 bullets, and primers are very tough to find, so you got to buy them when you find them (regardless of price). Cabela's may have 1,000 primers for $80, but they are gone by the time you get there, and locally you pay $140-$150 for them, but you need them. Seems like Hornady still sells loaded 348 ammo, but no longer sells the bullets as components ... which really pisses me off!

VM bullets (55 gr 22) are available at Midway USA for under $30.- and I got some CFE 223 powder at Cabela's for under $40.- So you just eat the cost of the primers and be happy! (I used to get 1,000 primers for less than $12.-).

But I got all the components I need to load the 338-06, and factory loaded ammo in that caliber is over $100.- for 20, so I will reload!
I guess you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to shoot the specialty stuff.
Seems there will probably be less and less components available in the near future, so it's wise to stock up now.

Very nice, sounds like good hunting!

Not sure what you mean by little, but I thought it was a M77-22 myself. Just wasn't sure if it was a .22LR or a .22WMR. Action looks almost like a short A. Like maybe its a .222 or .223 or something.
Any way. I have an All-wether 77-22 myself in .22WMR. I absolutely love the rifle! Two thumbs up!👍👍
I Definitely wouldn't mind owning one in 35 Whelen!!! 🤣👍
View attachment 1053586
197238B6-AB9E-4F7A-9B82-4978C8008A71.jpegLove Ruger and Winchester bolts. Heck, I love Ruger and Winchester anything…..

Been a while since I had to get 22mag, but last round I bought was $9.00 for a brick. I don't expect to have to buy again for the rest of my life, but .223 easily costs a lot more if your getting anything decent. Would love to find some 55gr v-max at a reasonable price.
My American Predator LOVES the 55gr v-max!!

I'm done!
Found out I had something valuable.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155386794832
That's great! I was looking for axes on eBay and holy smokes there's like crazy cult following. Guys were bidding on axe heads into the hundreds of dollars. I have no clue on what makers and what not make them valuable but wow was I shocked

That's great! I was looking for axes on eBay and holy smokes there's like crazy cult following. Guys were bidding on axe heads into the hundreds of dollars. I have no clue on what makers and what not make them valuable but wow was I shocked
Yeah, people go nuts on collector stuff.
I bought that chisel in a lot at an auction a few years ago, prolly paid around $75 for the pile, and I already sold a couple hundred bux out of it.

Back