Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have enough snow to move for that thing?

Every year we get snow. I’ve seen between 1 and 4 feet of of snowpack at our mountain place, and 4 to 8 feet coming in from above. I’m not gonna do it with a side by side like my neighbor tried last winter, that’s too much repetition.

🤣Ok, let me rephrase. What would you do with the timber you remove on tree removal job if the costumer dosent want it. Im talking merchantable saw logs lumber grade. Also, when land scaping and tree service is slow, and you have access to both saw logs and firewood logs. What do you feel is most profitable? I guess it all probably depends on what part of the country a guys in?
Charge the right amount and both will be equally profitable. There's costs for the sawmill (operating exp and CCA) and there's costs for splitting machines (operating exp and CCA). Figure out what they are, plus add on your valued time. If you can't recover that in the sale, it's not worth doing.

If you mill hardwood (like I do with the saw) you had better have a kiln in which to dry it, or you will wait 2 years for it to dry. It would also be real nice to have indoor storage (which I do not). Selling built furniture is easier (few folks who like nice wood know what to do with it), but it is a lot of work to get it right. A few people want your boards, but no one wants to pay you for them.
Depending on the climate even after 2 years, hardwood could still need to be kiln treated to get it to less than 10%MC for woodworking.

For me, I really like to do both firewood and lumber because I can maximize the value in the logs, and I enjoy not wasting stuff. And because I'm a builder I can take a tree and turn it into a finished product, which is downright good fun in my estimation.
^THIS^

That might explain the one drilled hole but what’s with the grinding ? Looks like a 2” cut-off wheel was used on both sides.
Looks like a crappy attempt for bar oiling to make a wrong style bar work on the saw. Or maybe the bar was adjusted so far out the original oil holes didn't work anymore.

So here's the thing. Trying to decide on a towable Woodmiser LT15 or a production splitter.
You can fab up splitter add ons easier than fabbing up a mill, IMO. With a mill, I can see you processing alot more utility grade lumber for your area, (and your own building projects like drying sheds, mill shed, skidder barn). As well, you can have all the wood you want for firewood pallets or boxes to move around and stack or store for delivery like the Canadian guy thats here, eventually they become firewood? Production splitters? IDK- seems the time savers are getting the logs and rounds to the knife is where its at, and you have a skidder now, so.....

With a mill you can get right to the cant for posts and beams, and leave some meat on your slabs and sell the slabs as econmy grade firewood or shoulder season wood. ( when I had a mill come to me, it took two years to use up the bus size pile of slabs as fire starters and brush fire kindle.

During the pandemic my wife said "Why don't you get a mill, with all these trees always coming down, with all the storage buildings you need?" (WHY I didn't go buy one on the spot I can't recall, except I think they were so backogged, it wasn't like i was going to get one delviered the next week anyway, most likley) Just called me Uradumbass)

Just my two cents., Can I have some change for what it was worth?

I get blue flames quite often . Just raked out the coals to burn off before adding more wood it’s 2 outside right now
View attachment 1054811
I've seen wisps of blue like that but not a concentrated one that burned for quite a while, been using this stove since 1983. Never had the privilege of burning HVBW. :envy: These were small chunks of white oak I was burning to keep the coals alive for an upcoming cold night. @farmer steve

Another tree guy I know does have his own mill and a firewood processor. He only runs the processor when they don’t have any tree jobs, Not sure how much he runs the mill. However he was running for re election as one of our county commissioners and he told me he made every 4x4 and 2x4 for his signs. That is very cool to have that ability. Maybe when this red oak comes down I’ll inquire about his services. That tree is 36-40” DBH I’d guess, nothing but a straight trunk until the fork at about 30’.

What do you guys feel is more profitable? Selling lumber or firewood?
I think both are like logging. Have you heard the saying; if you want to make some money logging, you start out with lots of money.
With all the equipment you're buying, it appears you'll be making some money 🤣. I just hope you're paying cash.

Another tree guy I know does have his own mill and a firewood processor. He only runs the processor when they don’t have any tree jobs, Not sure how much he runs the mill. However he was running for re election as one of our county commissioners and he told me he made every 4x4 and 2x4 for his signs. That is very cool to have that ability. Maybe when this red oak comes down I’ll inquire about his services. That tree is 36-40” DBH I’d guess, nothing but a straight trunk until the fork at about 30’.
That would be awesome to have something made from the wood off your own property. Heck, even if it cost way more than buying the same product, that would be kinda like buying an electric car, you know, to save the planet ;).

Good morning guys, our cold snap is just about over. We saw multiple lows in the 30s below over the last week but soon we’re getting a thaw.

View attachment 1054937
Same here. 15 now and heading to 30, 35 tomorrow, and 40s and rain by Tuesday.
Dropping some cherry today, good thing all are south and east of the house, winds out of the SW. Only two that could be effected by it in a bad way, and they should be "a breeze" with the tractor there.

What deal, those are great saws, although a bit anemic for its weight. The 450 had the same weight(same chassis) as the 440 but with a bit more power. The 450 is my favorite stock plastic cased saw, same power/weight as a 353, also the same quick clips for the filter cover.

Is that a "welcome" mat 😆.

He's gonna need one of @Kodiak Kid bull ropes 🤣.

Alright, who gave Sean the crayons :laughing:.

Seems someone said something similar 🤔 :lol:.

Right lol.

Sorry I'm not much for pictures lol.

Power just went out . Super strong winds here at the moment . Don’t really want to start the generator
Power has been out here since around 3:00pm yesterday. Met ed just showed up. Another tree they were supposed to remove came down. And took the lines out. They don't care were rhe end of the run. Had the generator running for a while last night then fired it up this morning.
Everything here is electric, so I broke out my camp stove for eggs and toast this morning.

Attachments

• 20230204_091353.jpg
    20230204_091353.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
..... During the pandemic my wife said "Why don't you get a mill, with all these trees always coming down, with all the storage buildings you need?" (WHY I didn't go buy one on the spot I can't recall, except I think they were so backogged, it wasn't like i was going to get one delviered the next week anyway, most likley) Just called me Uradumbass)
Buy one NOW! When it shows up, just say "Honey, you said I could buy one!".

Latest posts

Back