Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on @chipper1 , so are you going to laugh at me some more or tell me what DBH stands for?
Steve beat me to it, my internet at the house has been killer slow lately, started about two weeks ago :badpc:.
Funny how you can work in an industry for a long time and not know something that's a common term in other places in the same industry. I've had guys tell me things like this about driving truck I never new and they didn't even drive. Then there's guys like us who have to tell the local saw shop what's up because they don't have a clue :nofunny:.
I also see many guys on here and other tree business sites arguing about what a knot is called, and where it's from and what"knot" lol. Sometimes it matters, other times Iit doesn't and I could care less, like the cartridge conversation here, all mine work as they shown all my weapons, so I don't care, if something changes I'll probably be more open to caring 😉.

Steve beat me to it, my internet at the house has been killer slow lately, started about two weeks ago :badpc:.
Funny how you can work in an industry for a long time and not know something that's a common term in other places in the same industry. I've had guys tell me things like this about driving truck I never new and they didn't even drive. Then there's guys like us who have to tell the local saw shop what's up because they don't have a clue :nofunny:.
I also see many guys on here and other tree business sites arguing about what a knot is called, and where it's from and what"knot" lol. Sometimes it matters, other times Iit doesn't and I could care less, like the cartridge conversation here, all mine work as they shown all my weapons, so I don't care, if something changes I'll probably be more open to caring 😉.
Kind of like "tuning" and "dialing in"

🤔Where was I during this knot debate? That sounds like a knot of fun!

So in all my time in the woods I've never heard anyone say DBH not even the Foresters. Never heard it until I joined the Arborisite forums. What dose DBH stand for? Dead Broken or Hazardous?
Now Sierra is laughing. 😖

You ever post a question that you probably should have private massaged someone?

All right guys back to the pond project, this pond ain't gonna clean itself out 😆. Company coming too so...
The boy did get the porch and walkway done, and I did the 30x40 parking area, the neighbors drive, and the 200' shared drive from the main rd, I ain't touching the accessory drive as I'll tear it up since the frost is only half out of it. I noticed that some of the dirt on the red oak stump was still frozen to it, after being in/near to a fire for two days now. That stump will be much easier to move after this burning session though.
Later.

Kind of like "tuning" and "dialing in"

🤔Where was I during this knot debate? That sounds like a knot of fun!
Once you explained it that way I totally understood, but when you say a square tuned chain it sounds like something special, I've never heard anyone say a round tuned chain, just that their chain is round filed/ground unless the conversation is specifically about tuning a chain to the saw/species of wood/conditions/ cutting preference/style.
They're on here and happen on a fairly normal basis, it's kinda like an oil thread as they usually start out with question of what type of knot is this...

Now I know why I've never heard anyone say "DBH". Where I'm from. It's either base diameter or stump diameter. Everything above that is irrelevant and hits the ground with the rest of the tree! 🤣🤣
Forgive me, it was a slip of the tongue when I used it lol. I usually say 'xx" inches on the stump," referring to the diameter at my cut. However, most of the fire guys don't have any falling experience outside of that and refer to DBH to describe a diameter...I end up having to speak 2 different tree work languages :laugh:

The DBH thing is used in the wildland fire world to reference the different sized trees that each level of faller is allowed to take. You gotta understand that most of the guys are still learning not to cut their legs off, so there has to be a size limit on what they're allowed to cut. At the bottom, you aren't allowed to do anything more than brush and limb.

Forgive me, it was a slip of the tongue when I used it lol. I usually say 'xx" inches on the stump," referring to the diameter at my cut. However, most of the fire guys don't have any falling experience outside of that and refer to DBH to describe a diameter...I end up having to speak 2 different tree work languages :laugh:

The DBH thing is used in the wildland fire world to reference the different sized trees that each level of faller is allowed to take. You gotta understand that most of the guys are still learning not to cut their legs off, so there has to be a size limit on what they're allowed to cut. At the bottom, you aren't allowed to do anything more than brush and limb.
It's all good brother. I can see DBH being a popular term with the forest service and in a lot of books. I've just never heard it used myself until I got on here.

Back