Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did see a hummingbird in the apple trees so that's good. We usually have 4 or 5 every summer they must be cold
I put up mason bee boxes around our little orchard. I have the little bees all over. Supposedly they're better pollinators than honeybees. You can build your own but I just buy houses like this...
Screenshot_20230502-183650_Chrome.jpg

I got the doctor's report on my last checkup. It is so unbelievable I just have to share it

"I am writing to inform you that your recent blood tests have shown no signs of anemia or infection. Your kidney function tests are stable,k Your liver function tests are excellent, Cholesterol results are also overall excellent."

I'm a lousy cook so my diet is a basic 'meat&potatoes' but I do eat a lot of fruit (2-3 servings/day) and nuts. It must be all the 'wooding' I do. On of these days one item will fail and that will lead to a collapse of everything else. At 88 I for sure can't complain.

Out to the willow bush in the morning. I bucked out 24 rounds of a woodcutters dream. Tree was a blow down with the roots still in the ground. I started with the 400 wearing a 20" bar and ending with 24" that didn't quite reach all the way through.

Pictures will hopefully come this weekend. I have learned how to download gthe camera but then I can't find the pics on the computer, they don't show up in the "picture" file - neighbor said he will be over this weekend.
Great news and keep on scrounging!

Went back to the construction site today to see what they had done with the 12' stumps the tree service had left for the mill guys to take down.
They never showed up and the demo crew was cutting them down and hauling...to the boss' place,lol
I asked if I could drop the Oak and take it...sure!
Some of the heaviest wood I've handled. Some kind of White Oak.
Got what looks like 3/4 cord.
I can go back for Maple if I have any room let :p

The new MMind 500 got a workout. So much faster than stock, wow.

Cut down a 4' Maple stump for them as they had only a 18" saw.
Besides a big rock we found a dealership key for a 2005 F150
Gonna run the VIN just for fun 🤪

20230502_181029.jpg20230502_180534.jpg20230502_173700.jpg

Well 3 trees down safely. Two dump trailers full of wood in the yard. Saws all ran great. The arborist that dropped them fell them with my 700. He didn't think the trees were that big and brought a smaller saw. He may have yellow fever now. He made the old familiar statement. " It's kinda heavy but good grief the torque!"

Last day I have off before I start my next 10 day stretch at work... rained all weekend and yesterday and this morning. Just enough Monday and today to prevent me from doing anything outside. Just too wet again. I did get the basement cleaned up pretty well and got the pantry shelf fixed up. Too much weight so the shelves were sagging pretty bad. Bunch of 2x2 boards and some other bracing and it's back to point A again.

The tdi saga... somewhere around 23psi I develop a small boost leak. Seems all the t bolt clamps I have arw too big lol. So ordered new clamps, 4 ply silicon hose, and some new piping. Figured all the rubber hoses and coupplers are from 2001 and have 230k miles on them. Better replace everything since I have to pull the head light and front bumper to get at the outlet side of the intercooler. Just a waiting game for that stuff. After that we should be able to get the tune finished up.

Shop update. We'll haven't made much progress there. Between work and crappy weather when I have off I haven't had the opportunity to do the sight prep, let alone break ground for the footers..... not in a hurry, but I'd at least like to get the footers done here soon.

every time I see "Honda Odyssey" I think of the early 80s buggy with rollcage
Those are cool, but the pilots are even better, but :envy::envy::envy::envy:.
I'd be slightly more interested in one of those than I am his old mini-van.
I've considered using the drive train from a front wheel drive Honda to make a dune buggy/off road truck, they can go lots of places.
Ever see the crazy Subaru long suspension sand rails with the twin turbos :surprised3:.

Well, when the pond fills up I can now pull the big orange dirt mover in there to wash it lol.
Got a good bit more done today even though it ran like crap initially and then later too. I ran it for a bit and it hadn't changed, changed the filter and it was still running rough for a few minutes, then it cleared up and was running great. Then I ran it down to around a 1/4 tank and I noticed there was more water in the filter holder/separator so I drained it. It kept running crappy so I just ran the fuel down really low and then went to a station that sells quite a bit of fuel and got 10 gallons. Came home and put 5 gallons in and it ran pretty crappy still, but no water visible in the separator. I ran it for a bit hoping it would clear up to no avail. Then I put some fuel conditioner in it that I bought last weekend that also helps with water/moisture and ran it for about 5 minutes and then it cleared up and sounded great again. It was dark when I fueled it so I didn't get much time on it but it sounds as it should and has good power now. It also doesn't have anything in the separator, so I'm hoping it's good to go.
I built the dam up from the back forward when I was messing around.
20230502_195020.jpg
20230502_195117.jpg
After I took those pictures I moved the topsoil back a bit further so I could blend the dam to the contour of the hill more, that should make any maintenance such as mowing a bit nicer to do.
I did add about 10-12" to the front of the dam too, although my main concern at this point is getting as much dirt moved so the rain can help pack it in.
I'm surprised I got what I did done, I started late, was stuck on the couch, and with the tractor acting up I wasted a lot of time.
20230502_201427.jpg

Except when the cast iron rots away . My Dodge had one of the bad AAM patches . The cast iron just disintegrated and leaked gear oil . Had to find a good one looked at three or four that were starting to go. Ended up with one that came out out of a Florida truck

Found a couple of pictures. The cast disintegrated the cover and tubes were in good shape View attachment 1079406View attachment 1079407
Nice patina on that vehicle!

I'veView attachment 1079505 got one I don't think is coming out...... Ever! This was the pin which took 30 minutes to get out!
If you are talking about getting the hitch out of the receiver there might be a way if you can take the receiver off the vehicle. I've had miracle results with electrolysis!

If you are talking about getting the hitch out of the receiver there might be a way if you can take the receiver off the vehicle. I've had miracle results with electrolysis!
I'm contemplating a red neck on vehicle hydraulic press. Think big all thread, a thick piece of steel and a bottle jack!

Latest posts

Back