Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. Things continue to be pretty busy over here. Hoping to get my kids out fishing here soon. Have kind of a secret spot that the walleyes like to bite later on in the summer. Great panfishing in that area during the day and then the walleyes come out in the evening as the sun is getting low.

Ended up doing some more boat repairs for my son. He’s kind of being aloof for the last few days so I have been doing the work myself. I did inform him that this last project of his that I will be doing without his help.

Here’s a few randoms from the last few days.

IMG_1346.jpegIMG_1336.jpegIMG_1324.jpegIMG_1272.jpegIMG_1228.jpegIMG_1210.jpegIMG_1194.jpegIMG_1189.jpeg

Just got an IBC cage to start putting mine in.
Just one? I would have several filled already and still have more wood to process. Tree service and Craigslist wood does seem to amplify the amount of uglies.

A buddy of mine does all his wood in totes and when it's empty he just moves another one next to the OWB. Having several large tractors and unlimited access to wood and totes works in his favor.

Just one? I would have several filled already and still have more wood to process. Tree service and Craigslist wood does seem to amplify the amount of uglies.

A buddy of mine does all his wood in totes and when it's empty he just moves another one next to the OWB. Having several large tractors and unlimited access to wood and totes works in his favor.
I hope to keep it to just two. I hold a lot of odd pieces back and put them on the
top of an otherwise good looking stack.
If I'm doing all the cutting, I don't have all that much junk. I trim off knots and such as I go in the interest of better stacking.
A majority of junk I get is from wood I don't cut which often averages between 12 and 30"!!!

I was at a Forest Service meeting last night, the wilderness ranger said at 10,000 feet there’s still ten feet deep snow. They’ve had a large number of trees down too. One stretch had 190 trees, last year that same stretch had 40 trees.

It's been melting pretty fast up here. I was up at around 8200' a couple days ago on a bike ride, I only saw one little patch. The taller peaks still have some snow on the north aspects.

Here's a shot from the other day.
R_ondF5g0MAAbgToexF46dQ6ruyaG-rQPFVwO80a3mQ-2048x1542.jpg

Wildflowers are off the hook right now...the picture doesn't really show it, but tons of color:
D3s9YeL7IXuBlOxHA3bu4sSJA8TiaYV8jzJxNUwvrnc-2048x1542.jpg
YPWObSaDsa5OHBO7_dXsSDKq3H5w2RC7pUTcWn0u9VE-2048x1542.jpg

I hate the uglies ( chunky junk around the Kern place) but they make heat.
Just got an IBC cage to start putting mine in.

Hot, hot and hotter for the next 4 days. I'm taking the day off tomorrow and will work on general cleanup around the splitter area. Start with haulign the uglies off to the 'ready to burn' thrown pile. I burn those first. This year I have 3 sepearate piles of themThat have accumulated over the years. All cured, Each pile should last until snow time.

I had a loooong day yesterday rotary cutting, in fact I had so much to get done, I called in for reinforcements,

Resized-20230812-191953-AS.jpg

yup, I put my old cutter on a second tractor, and hired a buddy to help me for a day, and we got a LOT done!

But, I'm still not finished there!

SR
will you ever be? always seem to be cutting...

Same here with totes. I have 10 of them. Only using 8 right now.

I just love those Honda single cylinder motors. My SuperSplitter has a 6.5hp Honda on it now, up from a 5.5hp motor. I haven't used it since probably January. That motor fired up on the first pull yesterday. I split for an hour yesterday afternoon. It felt good to split up some of my huge pile again.

Same here with totes. I have 10 of them. Only using 8 right now.
I used to turn them down, but now I'm taking them when they are offered to me.

I figured out how to "fix" some of the complaints I have with them, so the other day when a guy offered a couple more to me, I took them...

SR

Went to the ATCA show in New Paltz on Sunday . When I got there a guy comes up to me asking about the truck . Turns out he’s a journalist for Hemings motor and several other publications. He also does all the photo work for the NAPA calendars and several other . So it turned into an interview and photo shoot . IMG_6910.jpegIMG_6911.jpegIMG_6912.jpegIMG_6913.jpegIMG_6914.jpegIMG_6915.jpegIMG_6916.jpeg

Hot, hot and hotter for the next 4 days. I'm taking the day off tomorrow and will work on general cleanup around the splitter area. Start with haulign the uglies off to the 'ready to burn' thrown pile. I burn those first. This year I have 3 sepearate piles of themThat have accumulated over the years. All cured, Each pile should last until snow time.
The weather can't make its mind up here. It was about 90 yesterday until the afternoon thunderstorms started and it dropped below 70 within about an hour. That was really nice, but the temperature has been gradually creeping up all night...I'm sitting here eating breakfast and the sun isn't even up yet, but the outdoor temp is already 75.

I just love those Honda single cylinder motors. My SuperSplitter has a 6.5hp Honda on it now, up from a 5.5hp motor. I haven't used it since probably January. That motor fired up on the first pull yesterday. I split for an hour yesterday afternoon. It felt good to split up some of my huge pile again.

I've got an old Honda 3500 watt generator that's like that. I've got a whole-house propane generator, so I don't use it much, but it's always easy to fire up when I do use it. The only thing that I've ever had to do is a new carb on it, otherwise it's trouble free.

More than I can say about the whole-house generator (Generac.) That motor is on it's way out and it doesn't even have that many hours on it IMO. Valve adjustments are a regular occurrence with it, which tells me the head is tired on it.

It's been melting pretty fast up here. I was up at around 8200' a couple days ago on a bike ride, I only saw one little patch. The taller peaks still have some snow on the north aspects.

Here's a shot from the other day.
R_ondF5g0MAAbgToexF46dQ6ruyaG-rQPFVwO80a3mQ-2048x1542.jpg

Wildflowers are off the hook right now...the picture doesn't really show it, but tons of color:
D3s9YeL7IXuBlOxHA3bu4sSJA8TiaYV8jzJxNUwvrnc-2048x1542.jpg
YPWObSaDsa5OHBO7_dXsSDKq3H5w2RC7pUTcWn0u9VE-2048x1542.jpg
like those pix! middle nice. last reminds me of deer hunging wtih my Dad back then... in Oregon

The weather can't make its mind up here. It was about 90 yesterday until the afternoon thunderstorms started and it dropped below 70 within about an hour. That was really nice, but the temperature has been gradually creeping up all night...I'm sitting here eating breakfast and the sun isn't even up yet, but the outdoor temp is already 75.
same here. now they say we will see a cold front to move thru! :surprised3: a cold front and it is 102f out? supposedly will dry the air some, make it nicer to be outside

Finished!!! I've been spliting a trailer load black locust splits from 20+ year old scrounge for the last several months. . It had 15 or more cords in it. Split and piled the last small load today. Then loaded the loose bark on truck and raked 20 year accumlaltion of chips/bark/leaves and loasded that. finished by noodling the last 7 blocks of crotches and knots. Well sweated up working in dense shade with not even a hint of a breeze. Back in house 9:30 with temp already 82 and headed for mid 90s per the forecast. Gopna be near a hundred next 3 days.

I'll spend a couple hours sharpening chains this morning. Need 2 20", 2 24" and maybe a 28" I've been a bit lax on keeping up with the "to be filed" nail.

I've got an old Honda 3500 watt generator that's like that. I've got a whole-house propane generator, so I don't use it much, but it's always easy to fire up when I do use it. The only thing that I've ever had to do is a new carb on it, otherwise it's trouble free.

More than I can say about the whole-house generator (Generac.) That motor is on it's way out and it doesn't even have that many hours on it IMO. Valve adjustments are a regular occurrence with it, which tells me the head is tired on it.
Honda made/makes several engine models that look the same. ie, mower. i have heard bad news about the walk behind with a Honda on it. i have a walk behind, with a Honda on it. dif model! still runs like new, and is a real workhorse mower!

I used to turn them down, but now I'm taking them when they are offered to me.

I figured out how to "fix" some of the complaints I have with them, so the other day when a guy offered a couple more to me, I took them...

SR
Smart move. Finding one for free around here is almost impossible.

Latest posts

Back