Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents , have used Tasco , Bushnell on rim fires . Weaver , Redfield & Simmonds on centre fires .450 bigbore , 30-06 , 300 H&H . I recently bought a Swarovski for my new .378 Weatherby . As far as optics , I have never once had a scope fog once , wether hunting deer , moose , elk or caribou or routine squirrel or hare . However , I am religious within firearm mtce & proper storage & handling . The actual purchase of swarovski scope was more for durability reputation rather than shear optics quality . Neither of the previous mentioned scope manufacturers ever failed me over the previous 50 + yrs !
I had a 1-4 x Swift on my .338 that fogged up. Replaced it with a Leupold 1.5-5x, then sold it when I moved back to Michigan.

There is one thing that rifle scopes and chainsaws have in common..... If it HAS to work when it's needed, buy "pro level" quality, and give it the care it needs! Being on the west coast, Stihl and Leupold have been my first choices for over 60 years.
Once again, different strokes for different folks. Not everyone needs a Leupold scope to fill their freezer or plink a few empty cans.

I had a 1-4 x Swift on my .338 that fogged up. Replaced it with a Leupold 1.5-5x, then sold it when I moved back to Michigan.
I owned a gunshop for many years, you see the terds pretty fast when you own a gunshop and sell scopes and the by far, brand I had to send in for repair the most was Tasco, I got to where I wouldn't even sell one!

SR

I don't mind his or anyone else's post, but when they start name calling, they already lost credibility with me. I make statements and then back them up with my experiences, I guess it you (they) didn't have the same experience, then I'm the one that's wrong??

I think he should put me on ignore if it's going to make him feel better, heck I have mouseterd mike on ignore, and it's working out great for me. lol

Heck, I'm still waiting for a list of the scopes I own, to appear. lol

SR
Look, I’m just pointing out the fact that you kind of a put a target on your back due to the manner in which you present your opinions.

Yeah , the larger caliber & short magnums will test the merits of any scope . I have been fortunate with the 6 or 7 North American made scopes that I have owned .

I owned a gunshop for many years, you see the terds pretty fast when you own a gunshop and sell scopes and the by far, brand I had to send in for repair the most was Tasco, I got to where I wouldn't even sell one!

SR
Haven't seen a Tasco for years , think the last one was on an air rifle .

SR
I've owned a few Swift's and a few cheap Bushnells but never a Tasco. Nothing personal, just how things shook out.

I don’t think many people consider Tasco to be a decent brand.

I’ve only owned two and both were given to me. The one I still have is mounted on a 30-30 and it’s a complete beast to sight in. You need about four times as many clicks as suggested to get to zero. Only using it because it’s on a spare spare spare gun, and it came from a dear friend.

Yeah , the larger caliber & short magnums will test the merits of any scope . I have been fortunate with the 6 or 7 North American made scopes that I have owned .
Probably not the scopes fault, I took a spill and dented the tube on a rock. It was a good excuse to buy my first Leupold.

Look, I’m just pointing out the fact that you kind of a put a target on your back due to the manner in which you present your opinions.
No problem at all, bring in on, I can back up whatever I say and I'm not so "thin skinned" like some of the folks here.

When I was younger and my eyes were good, about any scope was OK with me. As I got older and needed glasses, the clarity and brightness of a rifle scope became far more important. So, as I found bargains here and there I replaced all the scopes on my hunting firearms with Nikon or Vortex Crossfire II and repurposed the old scopes on 22s (for myself and family members) and they are fine for that purpose.

I've been very pleased with the quality and clarity and brightness of both of these brands.

The only scope I had real problems with was a Simmons Atec. It was bright and clear but point of impact kept moving around on me. I sent it back to the factory and they supposedly fixed it, but it never seemed fixed to me, so it is now in a box on top of my gun cabinet.

No problem at all, bring in on, I can back up whatever I say and I'm not so "thin skinned" like some of the folks here.
I was going to say, if that were true, he would have responded to me instead of putting me on ignore!

I pointed out a number of his inconsistent statements in the past, so I won't beat a dead horse.

When I was younger and my eyes were good, about any scope was OK with me. As I got older and needed glasses, the clarity and brightness of a rifle scope became far more important. So, as I found bargains here and there I replaced all the scopes on my hunting firearms with Nikon or Vortex Crossfire II and repurposed the old scopes on 22s (for myself and family members) and they are fine for that purpose.

I've been very pleased with the quality and clarity and brightness of both of these brands.

The only scope I had real problems with was a Simmons Atec. It was bright and clear but point of impact kept moving around on me. I sent it back to the factory and they supposedly fixed it, but it never seemed fixed to me, so it is now in a box on top of my gun cabinet.
I wish Nikon still made scopes.

Williams Gunsite use to sell their own brand of scopes and binos, they were good quality and cheaper than Leupold at that time. I bought a couple scopes and a pair of binos, Williams warr. would give you a new scope if you sent or took one back for a problem, fantastic warr..

I was walking a ridge in old growth timber alongside a glacier, and an old growth tree had fallen over from the ridge onto the glacier, falling over a deep crevasse. I was hunting brown bear and crossing the log going onto the glacier was no problem, but by the end of the day it had rained and crossing back, it was a VERY slippery affair! Anyway, coming back I slipped and used my rifle across the log to keep myself from falling into that dam crevasse and bent the tube on my Williams scope.

When I got back to camp, I bent the scope back with my hands as straight as I could get it, then I put up a target and shot at it. To my surprise, my .338 was still sighted in!! I was amazed. When I got back home, I took the scope in, showing it to my dealer, and he handed me a new one!

How's that for a warr.!

SR

Probably not the scopes fault, I took a spill and dented the tube on a rock. It was a good excuse to buy my first Leupold.
My Swarovski was a stretch @ $750 was listed at $945 originally (Z3 3×12×40) . However the best scope for the Weatherby's shock load.

Quote the ******** part, I don't remember getting upset or calling him names at all. Maybe it sounded worse than it felt. lol

SR
Go back and read your post, your entire reply was a ***** fest about your superior quality equipment that all your friends want to use, because theirs is junk and doesn't work. Insinuating that no one else hunts in as rough of conditions as you. Which is bull to the highest degree. It's all typical coming from you, every single time anything hunting or gun related comes up, you start going on about how much you know and how wrong the rest of us are. It's gotten old, really old.

Latest posts

Back