Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the help works for free so selling $5 parts is a huge profit center,....
I wouldn't care if the part was higher. Ya have to make money or you can't stay in business. I just don't like the shell game. Tell me what you want for the part and I'll decide yae or nae. To me it's trickery to jack up shipping by a made up amount knowing some won't look.
Just be honest and up front I guess is what I'd preferred.

Did some cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking tonight. Only got in one load of hauling so have two or three more ready for later this week. View attachment 1107258
Also got a text from my neighbor lady asking if I wanted the wood from the big maple she's having taken down (of course I do!) Told her that I've been meaning to ask her about the cherry logs next to her driveway and several more in the woods next to the ditch along the road. These were left after the road crews went through doing some clearing. She replied, and I quote, "Oh yes yes yes please take them all!! 😂 The tree trunks by the road drive me crazy every time I see them. If I don't see you when you come over THANK YOU !" So... I guess I'm doing her a huge favor getting free firewood from her right next door. Gee, maybe I should ask her to pay me. ;)
Go get em' HR!!

Pretty much everything works but you need to fertilize and water a lot. Otherwise they just won’t grow fast enough.

I’m a big fan of cherry and Roma. Ended up with Roma and plum this year.
I usually plant tomatoes the weekend after Memorial day and I'm usually safe from frost. I tend to go WAY overboard on tomato plants and typically give away several bushels a year. I have Pink Brandy wine, Red Brandy wine, Mortgage Lifter, Heinz 1370 (our go-to), Wisconsin 55, Amish Paste, San Marzano and Tommy Toes this year. I also started Opalka's which failed and Jersey Devils which came up to be about three different varieties, none of which resemble Jersey devils.

I wouldn't care if the part was higher. Ya have to make money or you can't stay in business. I just don't like the shell game. Tell me what you want for the part and I'll decide yae or nae. To me it's trickery to jack up shipping by a made up amount knowing some won't look.
I agree 100% on this too. It burns my azz when I see a $5 item and $18.95 for shipping it. This happened to me recently. I looked up the item on Amazon and got it for around $8 with free shipping.

Yes!

I usually plant tomatoes the weekend after Memorial day and I'm usually safe from frost. I tend to go WAY overboard on tomato plants and typically give away several bushels a year. I have Pink Brandy wine, Red Brandy wine, Mortgage Lifter, Heinz 1370 (our go-to), Wisconsin 55, Amish Paste, San Marzano and Tommy Toes this year. I also started Opalka's which failed and Jersey Devils which came up to be about three different varieties, none of which resemble Jersey devils.
To be safe around here we wait to plant until memorial day as well. You can get them in the ground three weeks earlier but you’re goint to need to be ready to babysit and cover with tarps etc if frost comes around.

I think the most frustrating is when they rig it so you can not see shipping prices until you jump through 175 hoops, filling out digital forms etc wasting your time only to find out they are making all their money on shipping.
End result,..... I have not been on said web site since.
On the bright side, I needed a seal kit for my splitter a while back. I called a number on the splitter and a human being who spoke clear English ACTUALLY ANSWERED THE PHONE😳😳😳😳😳😳
Once I recovered from nearly passing out from the shock, I told the gal what I needed. She asked if it was the 22 ton and when I said yes, she knew the part number , had it in stock and in less that 5 minutes she had my address and other necessary info. It came a few days later and even had a link to a video instructions Incase I needed it.
End result?...... I recommend them highly and will never hesitate buying their products.
Moral of the story? You can play the shell game but it might not work out over time.

I think the most frustrating is when they rig it so you can not see shipping prices until you jump through 175 hoops, filling out digital forms etc wasting your time only to find out they are making all their money on shipping.
On the bright side, I needed a seal kit for my splitter a while back. I called a number on the splitter and a human being who spoke clear English ACTUALLY ANSWERED THE PHONE😳😳😳😳😳😳
Once I recovered from nearly passing out from the shock, I told the gal what I needed. She asked if it was the 22 ton and when I said yes, she knew the part number , had it in stock and in less that 5 minutes she had my address and other necessary info. It came a few days later and even had a link to a video instructions Incase I needed it.
End result?...... I recommend them highly and will never hesitate buying their products.
Moral of the story? You can play the shell game but it might not work out over time.
Good customer service is hard to find these days. When you find it, it does seem to be a surprise.

Was that DHT who provided good customer service?

Good customer service is hard to find these days. When you find it, it does seem to be a surprise.
Definitely more exception than a rule these days.

I stopped at a local Marine dealership the other day, and they clearly didn’t have what I needed, but I proceeded to browse aimlessly in the parts section, which was about 15 feet from the sales person. After 15 minutes, they hadn’t even acknowledge me so I walked out.

The only thing I can think of is they make so much money on selling the big boats and motors that customer service and used sales don’t even matter.

Back