Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@The Shooters Apprentice husky recoils jam with too small diameter rope…and eventually blow up. Could be it.

Bark soft enough to use for a blanket View attachment 1122549

Got interlocking grain ?aussie cyclone splitter works really well
View attachment 1122550
EXL turned into Xcut kinda with 5/32” and dulled in Euc. Picked up speed and lost durability of course View attachment 1122551

This saw looks like it has an old cotton rope as a pull cord quite large in diameter. It was a rescue saw. I’ll get a good rope on it when I have time to mess with it.

Taking a day ioff from wooding tomorrow. Need to make a trip to the dealer in Moscow, Id to pick up my order.

One new hookeroon. I lost one of my two 3 months ago cutting in that willow bush. I need one in the wood yard and one on the truck.

Replacement starter mechanism on the MS362. It failed to rewind a month ago and they rebuilt it. Did it again last week. They fixed it but warned me that the pulley wobbles and needs replacement.

Out cutting again this morning in 40 degree with breeze. Good thing I broke out a set of thermals for the first time this heating season.

Any touch-typists need a keyboard? I decided to replace my work space keyboard and mouse and will let the vintage keyboard go to the first respondent. The mouse died after grossly exceeding the MTF on clicks which prompted me to take action...

P.S. No known biohazards... saw dust, regular dust, drywall dust, and various other things a plenty. Letters are worn off fully or mostly on 11 keys... It looks pretty good under cocktail lounge level office lighting conditions. This as an IBM human factors engineer recommended such lighting to my students when he was a guest speaker in my class. 😉

View attachment 1122177
:nofunny: neah-h! no thanks! that used one looks used. no telling what it is like inside. i turn mine upside down every few months, and omg.... I was in there! :omg:

mine looks almost new and i top vac it all the time...

hope u can give it a home. maybe
1698213770547.png

Spent today milling more white oak that I plan to use to put roofs on both the red oak and white oak stands. Got so busy trying to get it done that I did not even think of taking pics. Maybe tomorrow.

Spent a lot of time trying to set up, finding pieces straight and long enough, and cutting them to length and moving them around. I may cheat and hook the truck up to some of them tomorrow, I just can't get them out with hand tools. Those 2 huge Sugar Maple logs have things blocked in.
spent much of the day putting in sugar snap peas. now that the bed is ready. 95 starts in all. DIY saved seeds from last year. prob more plants than i will need. one year had so much had to freeze it. never made it out of the freezer so ended up in compst. garden fresh - very tasty!!

P1010001.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010005.JPG

each one hand planted ~

Taking a day ioff from wooding tomorrow. Need to make a trip to the dealer in Moscow, Id to pick up my order.

One new hookeroon. I lost one of my two 3 months ago cutting in that willow bush. I need one in the wood yard and one on the truck.

Replacement starter mechanism on the MS362. It failed to rewind a month ago and they rebuilt it. Did it again last week. They fixed it but warned me that the pulley wobbles and needs replacement.

Out cutting again this morning in 40 degree with breeze. Good thing I broke out a set of thermals for the first time this heating season.
been there more than just a few times! used to live in Pullman. in fact, for a spell we lived on on a dirt road in a farmhouse. fun years. the dirt road was called: The Old Road To Moscow... before paved one was open...

Here was todays “scrounge”.

Couple years ago when we ran power to the cabin they had to clean some trees and left them all laying in piles. My guess is there is 3 cords total. They must have had some retards out there because it’s just a mess. Logs chopped down with axes, cut 3/4 of the way in 14 spots, just stupid stuff.

Anyway. I decided to cut some of that up today since we needed more wood up by the door and I’m trying to save the last of the good wood for when it actually gets cold since I didn’t get to go get more wood this winter.

3 above when I woke up and fired up the coffee pot. It was a struggle to get stuff running. Plugged the truck in and went and took the recoil cover off the log splitter so I could turn it over with a drill and get it fired up. Battery on the fourwheeler died before it fired so had to put the charger on it and then it still didn’t want to go. Ended up pull starting it. Grabbed my franken 365 and it didnt want to start and then the recoil jammed up. Threw it back in the shed and grabbed my Holzfforma 372xp. Fired right up and got to work.

Cut some and split it. Loaded up the truck and took it up to stack on the deck. Sure looked like a lot more on the truck lol. I had already unloaded that back corner by the time I decided to take the pic.

View attachment 1122324

View attachment 1122325
takes more than just an apprentice to deal with winter like that. keep those pics/adventures incoming!! 🤩 if not there now, seems freeze up has visited you. or about to. i got a post in on another forum up near Anchorage:

"It's freezing!"

Recent scrounge.. Answered an ad for free wood. First trip I took a Subaru with a 5 by 8 trailer. When I found out what he had I said "I'll be back".. He loaded it with a grapple while I cut the root balls and bucked a bit. He is clearing a lot.. Probably do it again, if it ever stops raining
ought to do you for a winter, or so! maybe a couple...

'I'll be back!'
lol 👍

Had a heavy thunderstorm at the show on Friday but Saturday was spectacular 70s and sunny . The official count is up to 1448 but that could go up . No way to see all the trucks . I walked around and left Fred to keep the truck shined up View attachment 1122369didn’t take many pictures
View attachment 1122370
View attachment 1122371
View attachment 1122373View attachment 1122374View attachment 1122372
Edit: The official count is now at 1704 GM trucks at the show
"Fred did it!"......

Posted on FB got a couple low ball offers. But a guy came with 14' dump trailer, paid my $200 asking. He's got 200 acres with woods and a mill but needed cherry to create a new entry door for his daughter.
He's happy, I'm happy, I think a charity will be happy too.
Buds coming today, going to be dropping dead ash for firewood.
when i think cherry... i think smoked salmon

1698214983324.png

and with brussels, too. 👍

Said screw it and rented a man loft for the day. Got all the hat channel/gerts in place. Not it's ready for the front and back wall then tin. Although I'm really only worried about getting the roof done for winter. Kinda, sorta. Work in progress lol.
Found a steel man door for free. I'll be going for that after work tomorrow. The guy said, it's heavy as heck, bring help. The frame comes with it. Has the push button lock on it, but the guy can't remember the combination. That should be quite the adventure to figure out lol.
Switching back to splitting wood for the time being. Been getting into the 40*s over night and that's just a bit too cold in the house in the morning to be comfortable.
looks good! will be nice, once completed! thanks for showing us! :)

Hell Yeah!! I left the flatbed world 6 months ago and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it just a little bit! I did drive the old day cab Kenworth we haul boats with a few trips last week, but they were only 5 mile round trips.
i was wondering if u were still driving? had not heard or read any drive posts by you lately...

I decided after I made that last post to go back out and mess with the recoil on the franken365. It is one of my favorite saws and will be good to have it back up and running.

When I built this saw I did a big bore kit with pop up piston, and base gasket delete. The squish was around 15 and now that’s it’s broke it it has about 215lb of compression so it can be a little rowdy pulling it over.

The bottom 2 wraps of the cheap/old cotton rope were frozen stiff (it’s about 10 above right now) and the spring was rather rusty. Must have gotten damp during the summer riding around in the truck. I cleaned it all, installed a new spring and a new rope and reassembled. Fired up and ran 3rd pull so I guess tomorrow I’ll have to throw a square ground chain on it and go make sure it runs good instead of working on the cabin like I’m supposed to be doing.

G'day fellers,

I ducked out to Mitch's farm again this morning for a couple of hours. Mostly limbing and dragging things around. Starting to look a bit more presentable now. I'll cut what I reasonably can then cut sections for Mitch to hoick out with the excavator.

20231025_110111.jpg

20231025_110014.jpg

Took this home before I had to clean up for work.

20231025_113441.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

@The Shooters Apprentice husky recoils jam with too small diameter rope…and eventually blow up. Could be it.

Bark soft enough to use for a blanket View attachment 1122549

Got interlocking grain ?aussie cyclone splitter works really well
View attachment 1122550
EXL turned into Xcut kinda with 5/32” and dulled in Euc. Picked up speed and lost durability of course View attachment 1122551

I'm really enjoying seeing the red gum/blue gum pics and vids. Makes me a bit homesick...even though I'm home! :dumb:

Latest posts

Back