Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are starting to get some familiar faces returning ... just wish they would show up more frequently and in the daytime!
I've been slowly crawling back... still up to my eyeballs with family stuff. The list never gets shorter but at least, after the roofing job at my son's, the majority of the coming tasks are smaller in scale. One dead pine to take down at my parents' house but that is trivial in the scheme of things!

I've been slowly crawling back... still up to my eyeballs with family stuff. The list never gets shorter but at least, after the roofing job at my son's, the majority of the coming tasks are smaller is scale. One dead pine to take down at my parents' house but that is trivial in the scheme of things!
And here I thought he was talking about the critters on his land 😆.

Well too muddy to log (according to the forest service😬) so I’m home for a few days and getting caught up on things. The old red ford was needing quite a few repairs and looked like it was less $ to buy a different one so I went to the dark side and joined the V10 gassers, :hi: Brett.IMG_1532.jpeg
Been getting about 12 mpg on the hwy, my diesel was 15 mpg and dsl is .80 more per gallon so don’t cost any more to drive it than the dsl and purchase price was about $8000 less than a similar one with the 7.3. Has a vibration/ noise I haven’t figured out yet but over all it’s pretty nice.
Took it on its first firewood run today IMG_1534.jpeg
Sure miss the long bed sometimes. With the fuel tank and tool box not much room for wood. Thought about taking the horse trailer but with the snow, ice, 12% grade and no trailer brakes decided not to.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
And here I thought he was talking about the critters on his land 😆.
Same thing in my mind... I missed early bear season completely and haven't gotten out bird hunting once this season. Only my night time is free... I'm crawling back... will get out for regular deer season a bit with my flintlock!

Well too muddy to log (according to the forest service😬) so I’m home for a few days and getting caught up on things. The old red ford was needing quite a few repairs and looked like it was less $ to buy a different one so I went to the dark side and joined the V10 gassers, :hi: Brett.View attachment 1126037
Been getting about 12 mpg on the hwy, my diesel was 15 mpg and dsl is .80 more per gallon so don’t cost any more to drive it than the dsl and purchase price was about $8000 less than a similar one with the 7.3. Has a vibration/ noise I haven’t figured out yet but over all it’s pretty nice.
Took it on its first firewood run today View attachment 1126038
Sure miss the long bed sometimes. With the fuel tank and tool box not much room for wood. Thought about taking the horse trailer but with the snow, ice, 12% grade and no trailer brakes decided not to.
Mark has been pulling loads from up near the ski resort...dirty wood, been hell on chains.
Keeps me busy, lol

G'day fellers,

Snuck out to Will's farm this morning to pick up some previously cut broad leaf peppermint.

20231108_115557.jpg

Also a load of bonfire junk. You can tell the scrounging pic police that this is a different load since it has several logs extending over the back of the trailer.

20231108_111813.jpg

Short on time today so didn't do any cutting apart from trimming some of the bonfire poles

Scrounge on :rock:

I should have taken some pics, but I was so pissed off I didn't think about it. I've been putting off some repairs on my current splitter thinking I'll be making log splitter 2.0 sooner then has come to happen. Well I finally broke my log lift yesterday morning on some short big rounds. My fault really. Right where the lift hits the hinges there's an open space that a log can catch if I'm not paying attention. Well I caught it and bent the hinge and box tube all to heck. I ended up revamping the lift and both tables. Didn't get much wood split, but I won't have issues with logs being able to catch anything or the table on the controls side being a tad lower then the beam. Everything is nice and even now. Tonight after work I need to finish up the table extension then give everything a coat of paint. I'll have to get some pics up when it's all finished.

Well too muddy to log (according to the forest service😬) so I’m home for a few days and getting caught up on things. The old red ford was needing quite a few repairs and looked like it was less $ to buy a different one so I went to the dark side and joined the V10 gassers, :hi: Brett.View attachment 1126037
Congrats.
What's the emblem on the doors. Looks like a real "rig" with that CB antenna on it :p.
I think you're gonna need to start buying Chevys, you just go thru those fords like water :laugh: .
Saw some flurries where I picked up yesterday, what's funny is it was 40 degrees. Won't be long and the white stuff will be piling up here too, is it bad where you're logging, or mainly rain.

For the page lol.
Since I don't have one :).

Those are darn strong saws if you give them a muffler mod. I cut a lot of wood with one of them a few years ago, and then gave it to my homesteading friend, and he use the heck out of the clearing his land. The clutch finally siezed and I need to pull one off of a parts saw.

Those are darn strong saws if you give them a muffler mod. I cut a lot of wood with one of them a few years ago, and then gave it to my homesteading friend, and he use the heck out of the clearing his land. The clutch finally siezed and I need to pull one off of a parts saw.
Yep, just a bit plasticy feeling, but they'll cut wood!
I had hoped to get out and do a bit of work on the barn this morning since it's light(because of the time change, or is it because we went back to the right time?), but unfortunately it's raining.
I don't see any wood processing in the near future, but who knows, may need some saw therapy :chainsaw: . I have a few trees left out back around the pond project I need to clean up in case I rent a skid or have an opportunity to use one out there. They are just in the way a bit. Most the mess is all cleaned up around out place from the storm, but a couple days ago the neighbor had a large box elder fall down that the top of broke over the drive. My boy moved the top but It would look nice to get it cleaned up, at least a bit off the side of the drive. Always something to do.
Here's what the place looked like sunday, the log pile is getting big(to big for the location), and I still have a bunch more to add to it.

A voice of reason is way better than a condemnation of not working hard enough. for information. I have a full range of motion in my knee. I can squat till my arsh touches the heel of my foot. What I cant do is crawl around on the ground. I guess at 66 I probably aint meant to crawl under old cars or climb trees.
I can't crawl on the ground either with my fake knee. I can kneel on a foam pad or anything soft.

Check your front axle u joints and driveshaft u joints. Been there done that on a F250 that I owned.

More good news, bad news, good news:

Up at the property, more good size deer on the trail cameras overnight ... but all at night, nothing at shooting time!

Locally, I got an email this morning. My friend (who lets me hunt his land) is seeing a 6 pt buck in the daylight! The last time I took one of his 6 point bucks it was a nice 8 point! Previously, he was just telling me he was only seeing one or two does.

Years ago, he would always complain about all the deer eating his flowers next to the house, but EHD has really reduced the deer herds around here, and there are just ghosts in several areas.

Monday, I set up my climbing treestand and hunted a new area with my crossbow. Had 3 deer (antlerless) in view from 4:30 - 4:45, but not quite close enough or clear enough to give me a shot, so I just enjoyed watching them. (one small, two full size).

I've never had success trying to rattle a deer in before, but since we are seeing at least 3-4 different 8 pt bucks and a 10 point buck on the trail cameras, I'm thinking of giving it a try.

As you may have noticed that Buck I hauled home on the Pinto wagon in '83 must have been a fighter. The left side antler was almost completely broken off, and the G2 on the other side was also broken.

Latest posts

Back