Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife wanted to go out for lunch then buy a Christmas tree today. I decided to go over and open up my logging roads and do a little hunting but be back for lunch. I was in by 11. She weighs 124 dressed. One shot one kill. Something is doing a number on my trees

Attachments

• 20231201_110323.jpg
    20231201_110323.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231201_105451.jpg
    20231201_105451.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231201_095152.jpg
    20231201_095152.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231201_095141.jpg
    20231201_095141.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I am not an expert but that looks more like a bracket mushroom than a chaga. Our chaga is always black on the outside. May want to check on that before ingesting.

If you know something that I don't, I apologize for posting.

Thank you. The kettles are a dime a dozen. Waffle irons are a rarity, either of those is worth more than the rest of what is sitting here combined.
Let me know if you want to part with the kettle and a fry pan or two. After you make them look like new again. The pix you have shown us in the past look like new when you are done with them.

I am not an expert but that looks more like a bracket mushroom than a chaga. Our chaga is always black on the outside. May want to check on that before ingesting.

If you know something that I don't, I apologize for posting.
I had a friend who forages year round look at . He said it was Chaga I’ll have them looked at again but my main reason for harvesting it is it makes great firestarter . This is the other side of the mushroom definitely black on the outside IMG_7386.jpeg

Had a busy day, till the rain started. Got the load of shorts together for dad this morning. Mom was home and one of my nieces was over, so I ended up hanging out for a while. Came home and put a big hurt on the mess thats known as my splitting area. Drug a bunch more bucks down to the splitter to be split. Un earthed a bunch of black locust amd not so highly valuable black walnut. Didn't miss a beet bucking it into 24" rounds... dad would be furious lol. Rain started coming down pretty heavy, so I retreated to the house. Been playing with the 3d printer amd making stuff for the house, and soon switching to Christmas presents. Found a pretty cool 308 ammo box, holds 50 rounds, water proof and should cost me under $5.00 to print with the 8 bolts to put it together. Will be perfect for my brother's and dad.

So I finally got around to reading more of the owner's manual that came with my Ferris FW15 walk behind mower. I noticed the third paragraph on page 6. Should I be offended? ;)

View attachment 1132133
I didn't see that in my Ferris manual. I think we need a class action lawsuit. You know elderly discrimination. :laugh:

Good morning guys.

I took my at home sleep test last night for sleep apnea… Been told that I stopped breathing in my sleep, so I figured I better get that checked out. I had that many years ago, but controlled it through weight loss. Even though I weigh less that I used to I’m probably just getting old and may need a CPAP again. Be interesting to see what the test says.

Big weekend here, getting a new plow put on my truck. Or I should say a slightly used plow.

In other news, I’m trying to get through the big stack of cast-iron I have piled up in my kitchen. I was given a collection from my friends grandparents and there’s a few high-value items in the collection as well as a bunch of regular users. Plus another person gave me a bunch of Dutch ovens and I’m restoring a few pieces for friends. I try to get about 10 stocked up and then restore and now I’ve got about 50… Such is life lol.

Here’s a few of them.
View attachment 1131999
I recently started using CPAP. My apnea is mild and doesn't really need treatment but I do snore and I love my wife...so I got a machine. 3 weeks in and I'm starting to like it. I might actually be sleeping better.

Dropped (mostly Allison) split and hauled 2 more ash yesterday,
KIMG5265.JPG
Two bucketloads.
KIMG5267.JPGKIMG5270_01_BURST1005270_COVER.JPG
Then "an unfortunate series of events" had us digging up and replacing a culvert today.
(Too close) to the burn pile, the end of an ABS culvert caught fire in spite of being snow covered. Unnoticed since Tuesday, it slowly burned and melted 12' in. This morning a row of holes appeared in the frozen ground. Located in the horse pasture, delay was not an option.
KIMG5277.JPG
4" of frost made digging really fun.
KIMG5288.JPGKIMG5290.JPG
But got'r done.
KIMG5291.JPG

Curious, did you alternate the growth rings of the planks when you glued up the top? "They" say you're suppose to alternate the boards, but I saw a professional on a show not do it.
No . Never have nor will . If you seal the wood properly it will never warp or crack

Two more loads of logs hauled to the mill. Should get a good supply of lumber out of theses. Enough to get a decent start for building a barn!
10 footers
12 footers
16 footers
I STIHL have five eight foot butt logs 32" in diameter at the scale end. I need to haul them to the mill.

Call that an OVERLOAD? Pfft. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back