Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, those Barnes TTSX work
Gee, I think I may know who loaded them for Matt!!! (With my stash of RL-22 that has been unavailable for quite some time).

Although my favorite loads in my 300 Win Mag are with the old Norma MRP (they discontinued it and came out with a replacement that is almost the same, not sure if it is still in production).

Matt's gun is a beautiful Model 70. Mine is my old Ruger M-77 (a bicentennial gun). Mine is a little shot out, and now only shoots well with bullets seated further out. It used to be a tack driver, regularly giving me 5/8" groups at 100 yds. I've taken most of my deer with that gun, using slightly downloaded ammo. My current load length does not fit in the magazine, but you can put one in the chamber and one under it, and a shorter one (for emergency) in the magazine under it, so if I want to use it I still can.

Here is solid proof that STIHL is used by more professionals than Husky. This is first had solid proof. Not just circumstantial evidence! If you notice on my tree jack. The fastener that secures the handle to the pump is a bar nut. Wut kind of bar nut gentleman? 20231202_203312.jpg

Well, it appears to be a STIHL bar not if I'm not mistaken.
20231202_203240.jpg

Why is this? Because that's simply just the way it is. Now I know some of you are saying (not to mention any names)
@Squareground3691
Only a crazy man with chaps would use a STIHL and jacks. Well maybe, but I don't have time to argue about it. I gotta go to work!

Now, where's my Poulan at.....

Here is solid proof that STIHL is used by more professionals than Husky. This is first had solid proof. Not just circumstantial evidence! If you notice on my tree jack. The fastener that secures the handle to the pump is a bar nut. Wut kind of bar nut gentleman? View attachment 1132637

View attachment 1132638

Why is this? Because that's simply just the way it is. Now I know some of you are saying (not to mention any names)
@Squareground3691
Only a crazy man with chaps would use a STIHL and jacks. Well maybe, but I don't have time to argue about it. I gotta go to work!

Go big or go home lol 😆 IMG_1513.jpeg

Here is solid proof that STIHL is used by more professionals than Husky. This is first had solid proof. Not just circumstantial evidence! If you notice on my tree jack. The fastener that secures the handle to the pump is a bar nut. Wut kind of bar nut gentleman? View attachment 1132637

View attachment 1132638

@Squareground3691

Wouldn’t trust that (STIHL ) nut either, lol happy holidays KK , hope all is well 👍

s

We've known that for years but 1 guy by the name of Gary Alt changed everything. Yes we are seeing bigger rack bucks but ya can't eat the horns. To many TV DEER shows convinced a lot of hunters to support him. Now most guys say they aren't seeing the deer they used to in most places. Suburbia has high populations of deer where you can't hunt. Heck they even bring in sharpshooters to thin the deer herd at Gettysburg military park.
Some counties in St Louis was considering letting bow hunters onto residential property to take care of the deer.

P.S. I've got a herd of deer in my neighborhood that needs thinning. Only problem is if you stick one, it might to a neighbors yard and die, thus traumatizing their kids. Plus they would probably run down the hill to the creek area for cover and it would be very difficult getting them out.

I’m gardening in an urban area and deer come to my yard for chestnuts, hostas, and milk weed. This year they decimated my green beans—I salvaged only enough for thanksgiving. Other years they ate the pumpkins…. The various peppers and tomatoes haven’t been touched (yet).
Same here. I had four sections of 10' x 6' high dog pen panels that I made a 20' x 10' enclosure for three 16' rows of pole beans/peas. Seems to keep the deer out.

Like my uncle said, the .300 is a nice rifle. I like my bolt actions in two flavors Winchester model 70 and Ruger 77

Although, I did see a BEAUTIFUL Remington 700 in .243 at the pawn shop the other day….

If I hadn’t already gotten my daughter a 7mm-08 in Ruger 77 trim, that .243 probably would have come home

Just got done bringing firewood up to the house. If I get some dry weather this week, I’ll be able to bring a big load with the truck.

Little ATV loads aren’t cutting it anymore

Lol, 1/2” in Cali during the Coof was over $50. weeks before…$9 at HD.
Somebody made shitloads of $ during that farce.
7/16 osb sheeting was $56.00 a sheet during that time. The year before it was $8.00 sheet. Think right now ita around $30.00 sheet. Total rip off.

farmers are a different breed

My guy Joe just wants them all dead

Doesn’t care if we take them home or not

When I told him Uncle Mike saw one but didn’t shoot, he asked why

I said it may have been a spike and he didn’t want to waste the tag on a little buck

His reply was, just pitch it in the tree line if he doesn’t want it, but shoot every deer you see

I again told him that we just can’t do that, we are hunters not killers

He said fine, but fill some tags

Going back in the morning
Going back years ago now, we cleared out a friend's brother's farm of just about every deer we saw. He had damage tags. The gw came by to check things out once. Think we had 20 hanging at one time. Dan, my buddies brother, had zero interest in the meat at all. Just wanted them all dead asap. I didn't feel bad about it, aside from what we took home everything else was donated to a program the game commission runs.

Being a farmer and avid deer hunter I'm sitting on the barbed wire fence. We now have antler restrictions which limits the numbers of deer harvested. I saw at least 10 buck in archery season and only 2 were legal shooters but were to far away. That makes 8 deer I saw that can't be legally harvested except by junior hunters this year. Those 8 can eat a lot of crops in a years time. I can get deer damage permits but they want me to gut it and keep it cold till they come to pick it up. Ain't happening mid August when it's 80* in the middle of the night.
They need to take that point limit and shove it. Seen so many nice bodied buck run past that weren't Shooters. Not to mention all the a-typical odd balls we have around now, that no matter what you can't shoot and take out of the gene pool.

Like my uncle said, the .300 is a nice rifle. I like my bolt actions in two flavors Winchester model 70 and Ruger 77

Although, I did see a BEAUTIFUL Remington 700 in .243 at the pawn shop the other day….

If I hadn’t already gotten my daughter a 7mm-08 in Ruger 77 trim, that .243 probably would have come home

Just got done bringing firewood up to the house. If I get some dry weather this week, I’ll be able to bring a big load with the truck.

Little ATV loads aren’t cutting it anymore
Just talking with my younger brother last night, been running off some 50 round ammo boxes on the 3d printer for him. Conversation turned to getting the kids into hunting, what rifles we'd buy for them etc... .243, 7mm08 and 6.5cm came up as good options for starters in our conversation. I already have a 243, so likely grab a 7mm08.

If you are doing open field hunting, any of them are just fine. For thick woods hunting, I prefer 30 cal or more. 308 and 30-06 are great choices, and if you handload, you can reduce the loads till they are older.

For woods hunting I also like to use the harder bullets (so I test them). A bullet that upsets a lot on a small branch (usually faster/lighter bullets) will lose power and accuracy fast. I used to use wet newspaper or phone books for test media, but now adays they are mostly N/A.

Selecting premium bullets often reduces the need for testing, and internet research often results in interesting tests that other have already performed for you.

They need to take that point limit and shove it. Seen so many nice bodied buck run past that weren't Shooters. Not to mention all the a-typical odd balls we have around now, that no matter what you can't shoot and take out of the gene pool.
Yep. All them pi$$ poor gene spikes running around breeding does that should be in the freezer.

To be honest Sean

It all depends on what the countryside that you will be hunting looks like

My sister slaughters deer in the fields with her m77 in .243, does a great job and low recoil for her little frame.

But at uncle mikes thick woods of the cabin, I feel it’s too light to buck any brush

I have a 6.5 for the older daughter and the 7-08 for the younger

But honestly, up at camp a 30-30 would probably do just fine as most shots are less than 75

If you have open fields, the 243 will work

Woods, I’d go towards something a bit thicker….

But….. getting the next generation out hunting is the best!!

Mike has two grandsons

They have harvested three doe, I was there for each. Seeing the excitement in them after each, PRICELESS!!!

s

We've known that for years but 1 guy by the name of Gary Alt changed everything. Yes we are seeing bigger rack bucks but ya can't eat the horns. To many TV DEER shows convinced a lot of hunters to support him. Now most guys say they aren't seeing the deer they used to in most places. Suburbia has high populations of deer where you can't hunt. Heck they even bring in sharpshooters to thin the deer herd at Gettysburg military park.
Back in the '80s when I worked at Colonial Williamsburg the woman I lived with was an archeologist at the Jamestown National Historic Site. I was invited to a national park service party at the site that started after the park closed. I couldn't find the park road (not open to the public) in the dark so I went to the main visitor lot and walked to the party location. I'd seen a lot of deer scat there in the daytime but was stunned to see how many deer there were at night. Huge bucks all over the place. The deer barely stepped aside to let me pass! On later visits I noticed that there was very little scat around... I found out they eradicated the deer as the population far exceeded the carrying capacity of the area. In that same period of the '80s one of the gunsmiths I worked with and and his brother-in- law contracted with golf courses and other large property owners to thin the herds. They shot hundreds of deer each year... It was a very different environment from what I was used to in the Hudson Valley...

Latest posts

Back