Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a concerning call from my daughter's principal. Guess she got into a tufft with another kid at recess. Ended in her kicking the kid in the balls. (Which doesn't surprise me at all.) Two other students accused her of grabbing in inappropriate places and saying some things that basically made me speechless. A fouth student, said my daughter didn't say or do anything other then kicking the first kid. I've been a bit afraid of something like this happening, some of the stories she's told us after school, and more then a few times she's come home in tears from stuff other kids have done and said to her. The school doesn't seem to care, I've spoken with several different people and it's always, "well we haven't heard or seen any of these things happen." Bs. I know how my daughter is, I know what she will and won't do, and for her to hit another kid she had to be pushed pretty far. I spoke with my wife a bit about it on my way how from work, and she's pretty angry about the situation. Guess she's going to call the school tomorrow after we talk with my daughter. I'm all for kids getting in trouble if they did something wrong, and facing the consequences of their actions, but something more then the normal stuff is up.
When Matt got in trouble in school for getting into a fight (which he won, against a bigger guy), my brother asked if the other kid hit Matt first.

When they would not give him a straight answer, my brother told them that if they can't protect kids from others, he is allowed to protect himself, don't bother me with this! FYI, my brother is also a lawyer.

Just got a concerning call from my daughter's principal. Guess she got into a tufft with another kid at recess. Ended in her kicking the kid in the balls. (Which doesn't surprise me at all.) Two other students accused her of grabbing in inappropriate places and saying some things that basically made me speechless. A fouth student, said my daughter didn't say or do anything other then kicking the first kid. I've been a bit afraid of something like this happening, some of the stories she's told us after school, and more then a few times she's come home in tears from stuff other kids have done and said to her. The school doesn't seem to care, I've spoken with several different people and it's always, "well we haven't heard or seen any of these things happen." Bs. I know how my daughter is, I know what she will and won't do, and for her to hit another kid she had to be pushed pretty far. I spoke with my wife a bit about it on my way how from work, and she's pretty angry about the situation. Guess she's going to call the school tomorrow after we talk with my daughter. I'm all for kids getting in trouble if they did something wrong, and facing the consequences of their actions, but something more then the normal stuff is up.
Threaten legal and law enforcement involvement, that should get them moving.

Unfortunately the modern school systems often try to bury these issues rather than dealing with them.

Looks like spike60 is closed. "After a great 30 year run, we will be retiring and closing the store at the end of 2022. We'd like to thank all of the people who have supported us for the past 30 years, and wish you all the best."
Oh man! Well he definitely is off to a well deserved retirement.

Making a slab of white birch . I let it dry like this cut off what I need and make thinner boards on the band saw . Birch makes beautiful knife handles .
Didn't know you were into knife making. A woodworking forum I'm on, several people make some nice looking pieces.

262 for the win! Reigning king for 30 (?) years until the 400 came out.

I absolutely loved my 562, and it was very strong especially after MM and TA but it sounds like a lot of people didn’t have as good of luck as I did.
I bought a bran-spanken-new 562XP with a 24" bar for $500.00 to replace my 268XP. I already had a 2260 Johnny and the Johnny out powered it and run circles around the 562. (both with 20" bars) In fact, my helpers would almost argue over who was running Jonny, but no one wanted to run the 562, so I ran it.

One day after about 5 tanks of gas, that 562 came alive and I can NOW say it's a pleasure to run it! Now I really like the saw and am leaving the 24" bar on it, I like it as much as I do Johnny and that's saying something!

SR

I bought a bran-spanken-new 562XP with a 24" bar for $500.00 to replace my 268XP. I already had a 2260 Johnny and the Johnny out powered it and run circles around the 562. (both with 20" bars) In fact, my helpers would almost argue over who was running Jonny, but no one wanted to run the 562, so I ran it.

One day after about 5 tanks of gas, that 562 came alive and I can NOW say it's a pleasure to run it! Now I really like the saw and am leaving the 24" bar on it, I like it as much as I do Johnny and that's saying something!

SR
Yes those AT saws definitely take a little time to loosen up!

Sort of like a high quality woman, you need to work with her a little bit to get the good stuff! ;)

There were 3 versions of the 362 so it is kind of hard to respond. The 400 is a runner, you don't have to worry about it.

The most recent version of the 362 is the lightest and strongest, and I'm pretty sure has much better power to weight than that other saw.

Ported 360s and 361s run very strong and have great power to weight. I have a ported 360, it is stout! (One of Matt's favorite saws of mine). He also likes my 044 and my ported 261.
In fact, those ARE my favorite three saws he owns. The rest are just Stihls

But those three, they’re special

While it's still dry around here and the pile hasn't been burned yet, I thought I'd get a little more exercise today. Got the big Red Oak log and the branch out of the back side of the pile.
IMG_2313.JPG
The rest is all Ash.
Not a stellar load and not award winning.
IMG_2316.JPG
Talking about ash, there are probably half a dozen dead standing Ash piles lying around here. Sad to see it all ended up like this. I found one nice white Ash log a year ago. It would have made nice lumber but sadly, I didn't have a way to move it. When I run out of Red Oak here, I'll get a load of Ash for firewood for next year's burn and a load for camp wood.
Ran onto a pile of this. Can anyone identify this log by it's bark? Seems a hard wood. Is it Hard Maple?
IMG_2317.JPG

You guys see that guy with hair?

That’s uncle Mustang

He and my dad grew up boxing, I might have gotten a lesson or 100 from them

This big guy swung haymakers at me about 10 times which I slipped easily. When I knew I was out of real estate to slip another, I let a straight right fly

He dropped

After a bit he got up with half his face swollen

We get dragged to the office

The principal calls my dad and tells him that I had gotten into a fight. I hear him say no twice and then hello hello hello

My dad had asked him, did I start the fight-no
Am I hurt- no
Then hung up

The principal called him back and then pops gave the explanation that I’m allowed to protect myself if the school can’t protect me

That was 10th grade, the rest of high school… nobody screwed with me

That guy probably had 80lbs on me but no skills

Not saying boxing is the greatest fighting style, if he had grabbed me I’d have been dead

But knowing a little bit sure helps more than knowing nothing
IMG_8042.jpeg

I bet working with him was more rewarding than the finished product

We all need to focus on this next generation and help them learn how to work with their hands!!
I just tried yesterday to get the neighborhood boy who was walking home from the bus stop to help me unload my firewood from my truck. He just walked on by. Oh wait. That's not what you meant :laugh: .

I just tried yesterday to get the neighborhood boy who was walking home from the bus stop to help me unload my firewood from my truck. He just walked on by. Oh wait. That's not what you meant :laugh: .
Even that, that’s better for him than the damn video games he was going home to play

Some fresh air and exercise would do this generation some good!

I was at a construction site once, my dad was the GC

He hired me and uncle Mike for a day to get it back on track.

He was trying to be a philanthropic and hire local guys and teach them

These kids had no clue how to even remove nails with a hammer

Was just saddening

They were all city boys that he hired on the cheap and was trying to give a chance

Sadly outta 20, 3 had half a clue

Uncle Mike had no use for one of the three, I thought he was a ok fella

Pops got him hired on to one of his contractors companies

Guy ended killing somebody and getting locked up, uncle Mike had better judgment on that guy

I bet working with him was more rewarding than the finished product

We all need to focus on this next generation and help them learn how to work with their hands!!
Yes it was very gratifying. I do this stuff outside makes to much of a mess in the basement. IMG_3776.jpegIMG_3775.jpeg

Guy ended killing somebody and getting locked up, uncle Mike had better judgment on that guy
I would have made the guy part of the concrete floor we were doing, but I knew you and your Dad thought he was a good guy and a good worker.

A month later he killed his own cousin, and I kinda regretted not making him part of the floor!

Even that, that’s better for him than the damn video games he was going home to play

Some fresh air and exercise would do this generation some good!

I was at a construction site once, my dad was the GC

He hired me and uncle Mike for a day to get it back on track.

He was trying to be a philanthropic and hire local guys and teach them

These kids had no clue how to even remove nails with a hammer

Was just saddening

They were all city boys that he hired on the cheap and was trying to give a chance

Sadly outta 20, 3 had half a clue

My Dad, when he was out of work for a time, did odd jobs and home repair. Back in his day, the saying was build three houses and the forth is free. That;'s what he did. When he was doing odd jobs, he took me on the jobs to help out. Pick up tools, wind up cords, etc. He convinced me and helped me build my house. It was fun learning from him and working with him. He's been gone 5 years now and I still miss him dearly.

In fact, those ARE my favorite three saws he owns. The rest are just Stihls

But those three, they’re special
Of course, he has NEVER run my Dr. Al Hybrid (that will blow those saws away) and he forgot to tell you about my 8.6 Hp Asian 660 that impressed the crap out of his brother-in-law when it cut through his large seasoned Black Locust log like it was Poplar!

When Matt got in trouble in school for getting into a fight (which he won, against a bigger guy), my brother asked if the other kid hit Matt first.

When they would not give him a straight answer, my brother told them that if they can't protect kids from others, he is allowed to protect himself, don't bother me with this! FYI, my brother is also a lawyer.
Got the rest of the story after my daughter got home.
Disclaimer, I'm not good at handling these situations to begin with, so my wife and I had a chat before we approached her about what happened.
So, she pretty much said exactly what the principal said, except we got the rest of the story. She said her and 2 friends were playing at the fire pole on the play ground. A fourth kid (the boy) decided he needed to come up. Apparently there is barely enough room for three kids at the top of this thing, so when the boy came up he proceeded to shove my daughter into a corner. She said she told him to get off,but he didn't so she kicked him. Wasn't aiming, but connected with his balls. He screamed, which caught the proctors attention. She came over and made them all get down, listened to the boys story, and marched my daughter to the principals office.
One of the girls that was up there has been an issue since they started school, multiple times my daughter has come home in tears from things this girl has said and done, and she's done some questionable things, including pulling my daughters pants off several times, ripping her shirt... the list goes on, and doesn't get much better. She was actually transfered to a different class because of the issues. So the only time they see each other is during recess. We've told my daughter to stay away from this girl multiple times, but for whatever reason she doesn't seem to listen. My daughter doesn't have many friends (2 to be exact) at school, so she thinks this girl talking to her makes them friends. My daughter had gotten in trouble multiple times from sticking up for this girl, she's not my daughters friend. She is several choice words that a 7 year old kid shouldn't be called....
Anyway, so I wasn't surprised after I found out how things went down after my daughter listed off the 4 kids involved.
The boy and one girl are just trouble. I did find out an interesting tid bit, the other 3 kids got to finish recess before they were called to the office, and they spoke with the principal at separate times from my daughter. So at no point could my daughter have spoken with the girl that stuck up for her, but the other two had plenty of time to make up a load of bs. Really it should have been over at that point. Sure, she needs punished for kicking the boy, but both the boy and the trouble girl should be in deep do do, for making stuff up.
Needless to say, we have a meeting with the principal tomorrow morning. My wife is furious about all this, so I'm sure tomorrow will be interesting.

Back