Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vacuum sealers. What brands are you using? This will be used mostly for cooked vegetables from our garden.
None. We either can it, freeze it in zip-locs or dehydrate it. We do have a Food Saver brand which seals well, but not much stays in our freezer more than 7-8 months and there was little if any gain in quality for us.

No offense, but are you measuring the MC of the outside of your block only? The outside might dry faster than the middle. If you can once cool, cut off an inch and measure MC. I've dried small wood turning blocks gravimetrically inside a box with a fan heater with light bulbs.
Microwaves heat from the inside out . There was water and steam pouring out of the ends. I also kept weighing them until they stopped losing weight . Just a little kitchen scale . One went from 39.4 grams down to 22.5 and stopped with no steam after two more cycles. These are cookies so there about an inch thick making ornaments for the tree

Microwaves heat from the inside out . There was water and steam pouring out of the ends. I also kept weighing them until they stopped losing weight . Just a little kitchen scale . One went from 39.4 grams down to 22.5 and stopped with no steam after two more cycles. These are cookies so there about an inch thick making ornaments for the tree
Good to know. I must confess, I didn't watch the video the first time. Videos are slow on my computer. Spoke off the top of my head. I've tried to dry several small cookies like yours slowly and they tend to crack. I might pick up an old microwave and try some again.

Vacuum sealers. What brands are you using? This will be used mostly for cooked vegetables from our garden.
Glad you asked. Waiting to see others recommendations Considering one myself but mainly for meat. I stopped by my buddies when he was sealing up some deer bologna and took pictures of his but none of the pics are clear enough. I do know he said buy a better one as the first couple he bought were cheaper and didn't last.

How many cycles did it take?
Think 5 for the smaller piece
Good to know. I must confess, I didn't watch the video the first time. Videos are slow on my computer. Spoke off the top of my head. I've tried to dry several small cookies like yours slowly and they tend to crack. I might pick up an old microwave and try some again.
Here’s another if you have time to watch it . This is my shop microwave.
View attachment IMG_7482.mov

Glad you asked. Waiting to see others recommendations Considering one myself but mainly for meat. I stopped by my buddies when he was sealing up some deer bologna and took pictures of his but none of the pics are clear enough. I do know he said buy a better one as the first couple he bought were cheaper and didn't last.

This is the machine my wife has. I've packaged a few deer with it and it works pretty decent. We also used it several years for packaging burger when we bought sides of beef. As your buddy stated, the first one we owned was the cheapest model Food Saver made and we burned it up in a short order. A friend of mine owns a Cabela's commercial sized sealer and it is much faster than ours and it has packaged ridiculous quantities of deer, elk, and other misc. 4-legged critters over the years.

Attachments

• 20231217_132719.jpg
    20231217_132719.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 0
Good day from New Brunswick, Canada gents.

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been reading through this thread for a while and really enjoyed the discussion about all things outdoors with the occasional firewood score.

We don't heat our home with firewood, but I do scrounge some up where I can to heat my woodworking shop through the winter.

Here is my small scrounge from this morning. Some blown-down spruce on public land and a 4pt shed:12 17 23.jpg

Progress . Plumber is coming next week to hook up the gas . Backsplash is just about dry and ready to mount View attachment 1136394View attachment 1136395
You only need to know 2 things to be a plumber. Hot's on the left, **** runs down hill.

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been reading through this thread for a while and really enjoyed the discussion about all things outdoors with the occasional firewood score.

We don't heat our home with firewood, but I do scrounge some up where I can to heat my woodworking shop through the winter.

Here is my small scrounge from this morning. Some blown-down spruce on public land and a 4pt shed:View attachment 1136399
Welcome aboard man. Take out that drawbar, someone's shins will thank me for it.

The guy that did my deer has a commercial one that you won't see on the market in stores or Amazon.

Here is my small scrounge from this morning. Some blown-down spruce on public land and a 4pt shed:View attachment 1136399
Welcome aboard. You have a nice Province up there in N.B. Years ago my wife and I drove all over that place checking out the National Parks and hiking.

Welcome aboard. You have a nice Province up there in N.B. Years ago my wife and I drove all over that place checking out the National Parks and hiking.
Thanks Jim! Very grateful for the natural beauty we have in NB, at least what Irving (the big forestry monopoly in the province) hasn't been able to touch yet. They have a bad habit of cutting down mixed growth forest and replanting it with monocultured conifer farms for pulp and lumber.

Latest posts

Back