Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a homelite 330 for free today, recoil is busted, has 24" bar and full skip chain on it. It looks rough, but figured for free I'll put some time in it and see if it runs.
I have one . Donā€™t think itā€™s ever been into wood . Wouldnā€™t run at first the boot was rotted
20190611_175535.jpg20190611_175542.jpg

I get about $150 for little things like this . Takes about 3 hours in actual time . View attachment 1139704So right off the bat I see $ 1000 in your wood pile
More questions. How dry is your Walnut before you start? Does it help prevent splitting by cutting the Walnut in half first and then gluing the Maple strip? What finish you use? Mineral Oil?

FYI: The members on a woodworking forum I'm on cringe when I post anything because it's always questions :laugh: .

Yep, many of them are loose, but they'll run forever if you keep them full of oil!
I've owned hundreds of Honda products, and there's only a few I wouldn't recommend to others if they fit their needs. Currently I think I have; a couple boat motors(2hp and 5hp iirc), 2 pressure washers(5.5 and 13hp), three EU2000is generators (one runner and two parts machines, left overs from when I was selling lots of them), a couple parts quads and an assortment of parts(also leftovers from when I was selling them), bunch of 50 and 70cc dirt bike leftovers too, a TRX90 and a TRX70(and extra parts for the 70), I think my newest to me wood splitter may have a Honda gs motor on it(the black one not the better GX that's red and horizontal, 2 Honda mowers(self propelled), 621 snow blower, small rototiller, and I think that's all, but I'd need to look to make sure :oops:. Only have the 1998 Honda odyssey minivan for cars currently, but I've owned a bunch of those(probably around 20) and a few road bikes as well.
I like Honda products a little :innocent: .
I've owned One Honda, it was a 90 hp 4 stroke outboard. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I ever picked up another boat.

My wife takes them to her yoga studio in a Wortsboro . This one is smaller than a dough bowl . If I get the room to make multible at one time Iā€™ll get a few retail locations that sell local crafts . The neversink deli has a big area for local craftsman to sell there wares.

Edit : Forgot to add that the price would be higher at the retail places as they cater to city people . A lot of them in my area
Wurtsboro, sure has turned into every other town around

City-idiotsā€¦..

Some pics from the Muzzleloader trip

He is still out there trying for a deer

I came back to camp to prep dinner

Can anyone guess what website he was on last night on his laptop???

We both saw deer this morning, mine was a little fella. His was bigger but didnā€™t give him a good shot.

Weā€™ll see what tomorrow brings IMG_5452.jpegIMG_5444.jpegIMG_5453.jpeg

Today was the day that the big maple, that I showed in the roofing project photos a month or so ago, came down. It was one of those exceedingly rare large trees for this area... At the stump it was 43"x35" but DBH went 54". The tree had two large leaders. With no where to drop it whole we had one of the tree service guys, who buys his equipment at the shop where my son sells saws, drop it. His bucket truck came no where near the top of the tree... as such big long sections were roped down from the top. I ran my 261, 461 and 661 for 3 1/2 hours straight while my son ran his 271. Both sons are currently moving the firewood sized pieces and brush to give me room to cut up the rest of the trunk... I'll be going back with the 36" bar on the 661 to finish it off. It's going to be firewood! Another guy my son knows is bringing his wood chipper to deal with the brush (might be there now??). Too many rot pockets to justify milling any of it... When we had the big ice storm about two years ago it dropped many of it's smaller branches (small as it under 6") and they did property damage, including to my son's car. It became a hazard tree and had to go...

BTW, those are poison ivy vines sticking out all over the trunk... I was annoyed when the handle on my grandfather's bark spud broke while I was removing the vines. The handle was it rough shape so I wasn't surprised, just annoyed. Best I can piece the history together that bark spud is perhaps 90-100+ years old. He bought a flat bed dump truck from a retired logger along with things like the spud, cam type chain binders, snatch blocks, etc. He used the trunk to move rough cut lumber from the saw mills to his yard to dry it. The lumber was then used in the construction of buildings in this area... homes, at least one church, and commercial buildings. In those days he also used it to drive around town and pick up his workers... none of them owned vehicles in those days! I'm going to make a new handle for the spud... it's forged and has a very useable sweep to it... very handy at times.
IMG_6285.gif
72563744201__519D5D3C-B270-46C6-B269-E59044A4206F.gifIMG_6013.gifIMG_6396.gif72566176974__753F7D81-BE24-47AA-9805-F21BE7FCA369.gif

Well guys, hereā€™s the first honest-to-goodness wood splitting post that Iā€™ve put up in quite some time. I owe a friend a couple of cords of wood and wanted to get this done before we got any snow but we got a dusting today. I do have another half cord split up on the pile, but I would rather work away at this pile of rounds if I can. A few rounds are pretty frozen into the ground, but the rest are accessible, and most are almost perfectly seasoned.

Iā€™m using Zoggerā€™s Fiskars ā€œsuper splitting axeā€. For those not familiar with this model, it was the predecessor of the X27 and X25. Itā€™s more or less a next 25 handle with a l longer/heavier splitting head. To me itā€™s almost the perfect splitting tool with the exception of the handle being a little bit slippery.
IMG_5735.jpegIMG_5736.jpegIMG_5737.jpegIMG_5739.jpegIMG_5740.jpeg

Well guys, hereā€™s the first honest-to-goodness wood splitting post that Iā€™ve put up in quite some time. I owe a friend a couple of cords of wood and wanted to get this done before we got any snow but we got a dusting today. I do have another half cord split up on the pile, but I would rather work away at this pile of rounds if I can. A few rounds are pretty frozen into the ground, but the rest are accessible, and most are almost perfectly seasoned.

Iā€™m using Zoggerā€™s Fiskars ā€œsuper splitting axeā€. For those not familiar with this model, it was the predecessor of the X27 and X25. Itā€™s more or less a next 25 handle with a l longer/heavier splitting head. To me itā€™s almost the perfect splitting tool with the exception of the handle being a little bit slippery.
View attachment 1139970View attachment 1139971View attachment 1139972View attachment 1139973View attachment 1139974
Man if it were me, I'd tell your friend you were out of wood and pay him back in the Spring. I hate to handle wet wood :laugh: .

Nice.
I've had good luck with the meteor pistons.
Be sure to check how tight the squish is, most the two series are a bit tight to do a delete. Lots of guys use a beer can gasket. The 262 you can use the 254 gasket as it's 1mm instead of the 2mm from the factory.
I always liked those 254s, but these days I prefer to run a more modern saw.
I got my Meteor piston in today.. I installed it and put the jug on without a gasket to check the squish. The piston just hits the jug when all the way up. With the gasket it has .028 squish. For now I just put it together. If I keep it I might take .008 off the bottom of the jug to close up the squish. The new piston appears to have a chrome finish on it. I was going to chuck it in my lathe and take .020 off the top of it. If it is plated then that would not be a good idea to turn it down as it might cause the finish to flake off. The saw runs super rich right now. I'll set the carb tomorrow on it.

More questions. How dry is your Walnut before you start? Does it help prevent splitting by cutting the Walnut in half first and then gluing the Maple strip? What finish you use? Mineral Oil?

FYI: The members on a woodworking forum I'm on cringe when I post anything because it's always questions :laugh: .
The blank was 4 to 5 years in my barn . I did the basic shaping and let it sit overnight . If there is stress in the wood it will start very quickly. Sure enough this one did so I cut out the crack and added the maple . This is what I use for anything that may contact food items IMG_7559.jpeg

View attachment 1139970View attachment 1139971View attachment 1139972View attachment 1139973View attachment 1139974
Thatā€™s not a Gransfors Bruksā€¦..

Latest posts

Back