Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago i was sitting in my tree stand and heard some movement over my shoulder, thinking it was some deer i sat still and waited until nothing moved in front of me. I turned around to look over my shoulder and there was a young black bear in the tree right over my shoulder about 10 feet away.

I don't think it ever saw me, it sat there for about 10 minutes and got down and walked away.

About 10 years ago my brother got into his treestand opening morning in the dark. He was annoyed, another hunter was walking though the woods, on my property, right towards him. When it got to the base of his tree, he realized it was a big bear. Fearing the bear was going to climb up the tree, he grabbed is Mdl 70 Featherwt and clicked the safety off. The big bear that had come in slow and noisy went way fast & quit. Amazing what a little "click" will do.

If you go about an hour east of me you get into serious moose country (at least it was until they started dying off and the rest were killed by wolves). My dad hunted over there before he got our current place that is now mine. His friend's son had a moose come up to the tree he was in and start rubbing it's antlers on his ladder. Fearing it would knock the ladder down and leave him stranded in the tree he yelled at the moose with no avail. He put a round into the ground and the moose finally walked away.

Another moose story. My former neighbor (rip) shot a moose on accident one time because she thought it was a big deer. One shot with a .243 and it was done. Game warden came and hauled it away so the meat could be donated. She was not ticketed.

I have a friend , he's a avid hunter and true woodsman , one year just before bear season he was baiting for bear and decided that he'd sit in his to see if he could get a few pics of a bear .
He waited and out came a small bear a couple of hours later , he got some pics and watched how the bear moved around and to see the directions of travel .
When the bear was done eating the donuts and sweets that Perry had stomped down into bottom of a barrel he saw the bear sniff a trail right to the base of the treestand and then it started to climb , the yelling didn't deter the bear much but the beating in the face Perry gave it with his chair as it tried to get in the stand through the entrance hole did the trick .
All Perry's stands now have a hatch door , he no longer stomps the bait in but still stays pre season for some pic and video taking LOL
Fresh scrounged scrap lumber burning in the furnace keep the chill away as we speak :)

You guys trying to scare me away from deer hunting?
Not at all...just realize other wild animals occupy the same woods deer run in. 99% of the time, if anything in the woods gets wind of you, they can't go in the opposite direction far nor fast enough. Wind direction, cover scents, etc play a big role in the 'very rare' close encounters with a bear or other predator in the woods.

You guys trying to scare me away from deer hunting?
Dude you live in MD worst thing you have to worry about is maybe coyotes. Which means there really isn't much to worry about. On the east coast 99.9% of the time you are the apex predator. Out west with the wolves, big cats and grizzly bears. Not so much.

I order to see a bear you gotta smell as bad as the bear. If you head out smelling like $100 cologne you won't see anything.
Absolutely true when it comes to the 'cologne' theory...go smelling like a cheap whore and you won't see nothin...lol. I use cover scents religiously, usually pine cover scent, spray my tops and bottoms down and hunt most times throughout the year with knee high, insulated rubber camo boots. I'll scrub them down and the bottoms with baking soda and water to neutralize any odors then pump'em down real good with pine scent. Good pair of insulated rubber boots won't hold a tenth the scent leather boots do.

three tree stands here.i can only use 1 sat morning. i think your a little over an hour away. how close are you to rt 30?

Sometimes my plans don't jive with the boss's (wife). I was so informed that all of the remaining Saturdays in archery season, she has 'family' plans. She does this every year, I think its intentional. :angry:. So it looks like the only archery I will be doing before my week trip will be days I take off of work. Which is better than nothing.

Also this Saturday I told my daughter that I would take her scouting so I can't cancel on her as she is the next generation of hunter even though she is only 3.

I am 30 minutes to rt 30. But it looks like I will have to take a rain check on keeping that stand warm. Maybe we can coordinate something for rifle season or late season as I would love to keep one of your stands warm. At a minimum I'd like to meet you and help you cut some wood in the winter.

Absolutely true when it comes to the 'cologne' theory...go smelling like a cheap whore and you won't see nothin...lol. I use cover scents religiously, usually pine cover scent, spray my tops and bottoms down and hunt most times throughout the year with knee high, insulated rubber camo boots. I'll scrub them down and the bottoms with baking soda and water to neutralize any odors then pump'em down real good with pine scent. Good pair of insulated rubber boots won't hold a tenth the scent leather boots do.

my cover scents consist of walking through the barnyard before i head to the tree stand. my theory is that the deer smell the sheep in the pasture all year long and shouldn't spook them. as long as they don't figure out sheep don't climb trees.:rolleyes:
edit: it can get a little messy on the ladder rungs.:eek:

my cover scents consist of walking through the barnyard before i head to the tree stand. my theory is that the deer smell the sheep in the pasture all year long and shouldn't spook them. as long as they don't figure out sheep don't climb trees.:rolleyes:
edit: it can get a little messy on the ladder rungs.:eek:
Good way to attract the wolves too.[emoji1]

Sometimes my plans don't jive with the boss's (wife). I was so informed that all of the remaining Saturdays in archery season, she has 'family' plans. She does this every year, I think its intentional. :angry:. So it looks like the only archery I will be doing before my week trip will be days I take off of work. Which is better than nothing.

Also this Saturday I told my daughter that I would take her scouting so I can't cancel on her as she is the next generation of hunter even though she is only 3.

I am 30 minutes to rt 30. But it looks like I will have to take a rain check on keeping that stand warm. Maybe we can coordinate something for rifle season or late season as I would love to keep one of your stands warm. At a minimum I'd like to meet you and help you cut some wood in the winter.
second week of rifle is our deer moving week. drives. when ever NA.

I switched from rubber back to leather. Walking in rubber boots in the mountains sucks. I haven't had any issues with scent. I don't mess with cover scents. I try to stay reasonably scent free and have had good success.
I can certainly understand the rubber boot/hilly/mountainous terrain theory...as to going back to a leather boot.

Latest posts

Back