Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you cast iron guys.
"I have claimed the uncontested record of the Dutch oven stacking @ 10. I want to see it beat.
This one is several hams, scalloped potatoes, corn bread and honey butter. It was dinner for 60.
I lived in fear of the stack falling over for at least an hour."

View attachment 1150041
"

Nice hat!

I was wheelin' and dealin' to buy a new 572xp, but ended up horse trading for a 462. It should be here next week, so once again, fingers crossed.
Congrats on the new saw. While they don't handle like a husky if you're doing a lot of bucking of straight wood, they sure are nice runners.
May be taking the 372xpg out for a spin today:chainsaw:.

Congrats on the new saw. While they don't handle like a husky if you're doing a lot of bucking of straight wood, they sure are nice runners.
May be taking the 372xpg out for a spin today.
I dunno, I tossed one around awhile back and couldn't pick out anything that seemed odd.

I dunno, I tossed one around awhile back and couldn't pick out anything that seemed odd.
They're better than the straight handlebars they had in the past, but still not a husky for ergonomics.
Mine has had a bent handlebar for a while now, it's more like running a 461 lol(those are great saws though).

They're better than the straight handlebars they had in the past, but still not a husky for ergonomics.
Mine has had a bent handlebar for a while now, it's more like running a 461 lol(those are great saws though).
I heard all this nonsense for years about how Husky's handle better that Stihl when I could NEVER feel any real difference. A lot of it was purported to be because of an internal (as opposed to external) clutch.

Then I was reading an article about one of Husky's top competitive limbing guys, and he CHOOSE one of their saws with an external clutch.

After that I just concluded it is all just personal preference, and you should just use what you like.

I was wheelin' and dealin' to buy a new 572xp, but ended up horse trading for a 462. It should be here next week, so once again, fingers crossed.
I think you will be very happy with the 462. Great power to weight, smooth, etc.

If you would like it to be just as smooth as some of those heavier Huskys, just strap a brick to the top of it!

Our old house was also a mish-mash. Interesting exercise trying to figure out what was done when. It also had a kitchen ell addition off the back. There was a natural gas stove with kerosene end heater (probably converted from wood) in the kitchen and early 1900's looking plumbing. The laundry room behind that had a soapstone set tub where we kids had our baths. The electric service was 115V only and, I think, 30A. The heat was an enormous coal boiler that had been converted to oil. Most of that got updated over the 20 years my father owned the place.

At some point my father realized there was an inaccessible space between the back of the hall closet and the side of the cooking fireplace. He poked a hole and discovered a tiny room which was apparently a place to keep a patient warm in cold weather.

The old house bug skipped my generation, but my daughter is fixing up an 1830's cape in mid-coast Maine. It's interesting that the architecture is appropriate for its age, but the construction looks older. Probably a function of its relative remoteness when it was built.
Sounds similar to the old farm. Behind the house was a room added on. That is the old kitchen where the well is under the floor. There is an old wood/coal fired cookstove and huge soapstone sink. To the right side of the house is another addition that included a newer kitchen, bathroom, spare room upstairs and boiler room which included two huge coal bins below ground lever. There was a hopper for the boiler. It had to be fed daily. You had to go down a steep set of stairs to fill it up. Back in the early 80's I removed the coal boiler and installed a oil fired steam furnace and oil tank. That furnace was replaced about 6 - 7 years ago by me for the 2nd time due to a crack in one of the sections. The building on the far right was used to raise chickens in the front half. The rear half is a wagon garage and workshop. Upstairs was a shoemaker/carpentry shop in the front 24 feet. The rear 24 feet was used for ????? That section is closed off from the shop area with a wall and door. Down under the back end of this building was another chicken coop that was built in the 1900s to let the chickens out in the backyard. The electrical that was in the house when I came around dating my wife was a mere 60 amp service with 220 for an electric hot water heater. I originally installed a 100 amp service for my inlaws. When we put the new well in I installed the 200 amp service. Back in 1978 I had a 200 amp sevice installed in the barn so that I could use my Lincoln tombstone welder over there to fix broken things for my father inlaw. I'll have to post up some pictures of the barn restoration that we did. We lost a 36' section of the barn around 2002. That barn is a story in itself.

You could be right, but I bet I won't notice.

That's what I would do. I wouldn't be making a very long shot with a shotgun anyway, and a red dot would do great for deer. Not sure what other options there are other than 45 degree sights, which mount similarly, unfortunately for me, my eyesight isn't what it once was. I like the green dot's for quick acquisition, but you're young, so a nice peep sight might be nice for you.
Lots of options, just have to have the right scope mount.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/45-degree-iron-sights
Cool. I had planned to use the sg mostly for birdshot for grouse while hunting deer but we have no deer so no need for the rifle lol.

For you cast iron guys.
"I have claimed the uncontested record of the Dutch oven stacking @ 10. I want to see it beat.
This one is several hams, scalloped potatoes, corn bread and honey butter. It was dinner for 60.
I lived in fear of the stack falling over for at least an hour."

View attachment 1150041
"
You’re more brave that me. Plus I think I only have 5 stackable DO’s.

I heard all this nonsense for years about how Husky's handle better that Stihl when I could NEVER feel any real difference. A lot of it was purported to be because of an internal (as opposed to external) clutch.

Then I was reading an article about one of Husky's top competitive limbing guys, and he CHOOSE one of their saws with an external clutch.

After that I just concluded it is all just personal preference, and you should just use what you like.
IMO nothing on earth limbs like a 346 or 550 v1. Beyond that it’s all about what you like.

Good morning. Youngest boy and I are sitting at the cafe for breakfast and then headed to check the cabin. This will be the first time ever we’ve been able to drive the truck in during the month of February. Had the cabin for 50 years between dad and I but the truck worthy road has been in since ‘06.
IMG_6426.jpeg

I think you will be very happy with the 462. Great power to weight, smooth, etc.

If you would like it to be just as smooth as some of those heavier Huskys, just strap a brick to the top of it!
The only Stihl I've ever owned is a Kombi powerhead. With mild temps and no snow in the forecast, I'm sure I'll put it to the test is soon as the UPS man gets it here.

Late yesterday afternoon I took on the two 2500 pound plus boulders. Out came my generator to run the Hilti hammer drill and I set to work drilling holes. I was able to dril a 5/8" hole 5 inches deep in these rocks in 45 seconds. Man do these Hilti drills work great. My first try at busting a stone in half did not work. The rock just shattered the top section in layers. I drilled new holes a few inches away. This time I drilled 3/8" holes 12" deep inside the 5/8" holes. Not sure yet if the split followed the 3/8" holes as I haven't separated that boulder yet. The 12" deep holes took around 2 minutes each to drill due to constantly cleaning out the holes of the ground stone crud. The wedges broke this boulder easily. The 2nd boulder split great using the same hole pattern. This boulder fell apart. The crack did not follow the drill holes except at the very bottom of the rock. It took less than 2 hours to get my tools and generator out, bust the rocks and put everything away afterwards. The rocks are like ironheads as my FIL always referred to them. If you hit them with a sledge it would fly right back at you without even chipping the rock. The first 3 pictures are the 1st rock. The last two are the 2nd rock after it split.

Attachments

• 20240202_145815.jpg
    20240202_145815.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_154729.jpg
    20240202_154729.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_155154.jpg
    20240202_155154.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_164038.jpg
    20240202_164038.jpg