Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it stay above freezing because it's attached to the house.
My buddy stopped by last night and ran some of the electric for me, he was telling me that at one of the houses they were building for the devos's(owners of amway) that they had 1 light in each room and it all you needed was a hoodie in the middle of winter. That being said it had 6" walls that were sprayed solid with foam :havingarest:.
I'm on track for having the lid in mine this weekend and all the electric done, and most likely 100% of the wall insulation too.
On the run where my electric panel is I'll put 3.5" of polyiso on top of the drywall and then a 2x10 for a tray/place to run and staple all the wires. I should have it all finished just in time for spring 😆.
I wanta see those square grinders up and running , Lol 👍

I wanta see those square grinders up and running , Lol 👍
I'll probably only run one up there. I have the old simington 450 going now in the basement, but I'll be selling that and the other that's similar to it but has the smaller motor, keeping the 451 as it's a nice new machine and will match the barn better 😆.

I'll probably on run one up there. I have the old simington 450 going now in the basement, but I'll be selling that and the other that's similar to it but has the smaller motor, keeping the 451 as it's a nice new machine and will match the barn better 😆.
What? Only 3 square grinders? How can you possibly get by. :drinkingcoffee:

What? Only 3 square grinders? How can you possibly get by. :drinkingcoffee:
Got one because I had to have it, second because it was a deal(and I was able to make a trade for it, which made it a better deal), and the third one because it was the one I wanted in the first place but was too cheap to pay much for it(got a great price on that too ;)).
I have a few round grinders, and a raker grinder too :innocent:.
I sharpen on the saw most times when they need touched up for round chain, use the round grinders when they get rocked, and the square most times as the files are stupid expensive these days. I do save my retired double-bevel files for doing rakers as they cut very nicely, and you gotta get your money's worth out of them. The raker grinder gets used anytime I use the grinders on a chain as I equalize the length of the cutters so all the rakers can be set at the same height, when I file chains I use a progressive raker guide and set them by hand, probably the only thing progressive you'll catch me doing 🤣.

IMG_2203.jpegGot one because I had to have it, second because it was a deal(and I was able to make a trade for it, which made it a better deal), and the third one because it was the one I wanted in the first place but was too cheap to pay much for it(got a great price on that too ;)).
I have a few round grinders, and a raker grinder too :innocent:.
I sharpen on the saw most times when they need touched up for round chain, use the round grinders when they get rocked, and the square most times as the files are stupid expensive these days. I do save my retired double-bevel files for doing rakers as they cut very nicely, and you gotta get your money's worth out of them. The raker grinder gets used anytime I use the grinders on a chain as I equalize the length of the cutters so all the rakers can be set at the same height, when I file chains I use a progressive raker guide and set them by hand, probably the only thing progressive you'll catch me doing 🤣.
My custom square grind , it’s called R&L hand job ,Lol 😆👍IMG_1910.jpegIMG_1267.jpeg

Hopefully, I'll be working on my 046 soon. After I get it running, I want to upgrade to a 28" bar. Are Forester bars any good? What about Holtzfforma? Would you get one in 0.050 or 0.063 gauge?
I usually go .050 up to 28 , then .063 any longer,

I am really liking the looks of this. I am tempted to enclose part of my pole barn as a shop...my current shop is an old dirt floor one stall garage....not feasible for heating all winter.

Does it stay above freezing because it's attached to the house.
My buddy stopped by last night and ran some of the electric for me, he was telling me that at one of the houses they were building for the devos's(owners of amway) that they had 1 light in each room and it all you needed was a hoodie in the middle of winter. That being said it had 6" walls that were sprayed solid with foam :havingarest:.
I'm on track for having the lid in mine this weekend and all the electric done, and most likely 100% of the wall insulation too.
On the run where my electric panel is I'll put 3.5" of polyiso on top of the drywall and then a 2x10 for a tray/place to run and staple all the wires. I should have it all finished just in time for spring 😆.
It's not an attached garage. It is well insulated, even the floor.

My custom square grind , it’s called R&L hand job ,Lol 😆👍View attachment 1151134View attachment 1151136
Looks good to me, for softwoods anyway, little aggressive for hardwood, especially if it's dirty. A buddy of mine has a stroked 661, he runs a 24" bar with .404 semi chisel, it lasts a long time even cutting dirty wood.
Where you buying files these days, 16-18 bucks is a lot of cash. Then again grinders aren't cheap, but anytime you want you can sell them and recoup your cash, so lots up front and but very little over time.

If you are going to use that 046 for anything more than just bucking (like felling), a lightweight bar is worth the extra cost.

Also, are you doing any mods or porting to it? 046/460 cylinder #s and squish are often all over the place!

Also, some of the 046s came with .070 (instead of .068) jets. Will run stronger in some saws.

I almost always do a muffler mod and take .020 off the key to advance the timing.

Looks good to me, for softwoods anyway, little aggressive for hardwood, especially if it's dirty. A buddy of mine has a stroked 661, he runs a 24" bar with .404 semi chisel, it lasts a long time even cutting dirty wood.
Where you buying files these days, 16-18 bucks is a lot of cash. Then again grinders aren't cheap, but anytime you want you can sell them and recoup your cash, so lots up front and but very little over time.
Yea , I use square at different angles only in clean wood , but when dirty , break out the punisher.404 👍 I have enough files round and square to last my life time , I always bought by the dozen,Vallorbe my choice for years now , Oberg / Sandvik were the files in the day , I like 1/4 diameter for good radial cutting edge on .404 and some 3/8

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The floor in the whole garage or just the storage area, what insulation did you use.
When I did my detached garage I used two inch foam board . The blue stuff and then 6 inch on concrete and 8 inch where I planned on putting the lift in .

A few years ago I had to replace the concrete floor in the basement seems they used the clean out cement as they built more homes in the development for the floor . So it was a thin mix and it started to crumble after 40 years . I dug the floor out another 9 or so inches down ,the footings were 6 feet down from grade code is 4 . I lugged out about 10 yards of sand by hand in 5 gallon buckets . Took a long time but I was able to add 1 1/2 foam and poured a 3 inch floor . Gained about 4 inches of head room in the finished basement

If you are going to use that 046 for anything more than just bucking (like felling), a lightweight bar is worth the extra cost.

Also, are you doing any mods or porting to it? 046/460 cylinder #s and squish are often all over the place!

Also, some of the 046s came with .070 (instead of .068) jets. Will run stronger in some saws.

I almost always do a muffler mod and take .020 off the key to advance the timing.
I run a reduced weight 32 on the 462 it's about the same weight set up that way as my 372s with a standard 24". I have a "pro" grade forester 24" bar, it's a nice stiff bar and wears well, but it's heavy.

Do you add an extra port if they have the dual port muffler, or is that enough. I've never had a dual port muffler and the ones I kept for a while had a muffler mod.
The 461s really need opened up and a timing advance, then they wake up, but even stock they do great with a 24-28 and a 32 if the chain is well tuned.
Very difficult to find a good square file grinder that does not cost you and arm and a leg!

I do all my square by hand. If a chain is badly rocked, I'll use my little 12V round grinder, then convert it back to square by hand.
Half the battle is finding one close you can pick up, it's like $200 to have a new one shipped from Madsens :envy:.
I forgot, I have one of those little grinders too, it's 12 volts so it's also nice for cleaning up damaged drivers if you toss a chain.
I usually do those at the house with a dremel and the little sanding drums though.

When I did my detached garage I used two inch foam board . The blue stuff and then 6 inch on concrete and 8 inch where I planned on putting the lift in .

A few years ago I had to replace the concrete floor in the basement seems they used the clean out cement as they built more homes in the development for the floor . So it was a thin mix and it started to crumble after 40 years . I dug the floor out another 9 or so inches down ,the footings were 6 feet down from grade code is 4 . I lugged out about 10 yards of sand by hand in 5 gallon buckets . Took a long time but I was able to add 1 1/2 foam and poured a 3 inch floor . Gained about 4 inches of head room in the finished basement
That's nice. Wish I had some under my floor, but hopefully having lots in the walls will make up for it. I did put a vapor barrier under it, the concrete guys weren't happy about that as they had to haul the mud into the back with a concrete buggy, which meant plywood was set down on top so it didn't get damaged. I moved the plywood so they didn't have to and told him to stop whining lol.
That's a big project! My BIL rebuilt his whole farm house and added another floor on the single level portion. When he was just about finished with the exterior a guy stopped by and was complimenting him on his work, then he asked what he did to the foundation to improve it, he said nothing. That guy was the building inspector and he never pulled a single permit 🤣. He made him pull a permit for the foundation and he dug it all with a mini ex and then built block walls under it. I think he got off pretty easy. He paid his kids .25 a 5 gallon bucket to haul it all out, it took a few yrs. Then he poured concrete on it, it looks nice, but it was a ton of work, I imagine yours was similar.

Just the storage area. I framed the floor with 2×8's and insulated it with 6" of fiberglass. Ceiling is 10" fiberglass and the walls are 4".
That's what I was thinking. Little goes a long way when it comes to insulating floors. If I would have had a bit more time I would have done mine, added a drain to the main bay, and put in a drain for a sink/toilet. But, I can at least cut the drains in if they are absolutely needed, the insulation, well not so much. At least I have commercial fiber(long strand) in the concrete, that's gotta be food for like .25 r lol.
Do you have any problems with mice in/under there.

Back