Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GE used to spray used oil on the dirt roads in NY as a "public service", until local officials realized it was PCB contaminated oil!

I guess a lot of our roadways are a lot like the Hudson! Imagine, they can build jet engines but they can't figure out how to remove PCBs from the Hudson!

GE ... they bring good PCBs to you!

My client last night showed me several picture of real nice Striped Bass he caught in the Hudson last year, many over 40".

Unfortunately, with NY's stupid size rules, they all had to be thrown back, they were not in the "size range", which is different in the Hudson than in the LI Sound (they are the same fish). You can also only keep one fish.

Of course, if you are illegal, you can keep whatever you want, and no one will bother you! As such, I have no delusions that the fisheries will ever recover.

In one of the coal mines up around sumerset they used to apply oil to their haul roads, but just near the shop and office building. Worked really well, and I would have argued it was black top of I didn't know better.
Some of the small roads in my town get the sand and oil treatment done to them. It is not as good as tar but works out pretty well.

Transitioning to a long, cold, muddy spring. :wtf:
I agree with that except on the muddy Winter. I think the ground was frozen only for a few days on and off so far. It really put a damper on my wood cutting. I had to rebuild my old bridge area with a culvert to get my wood out from the other end of my woodlot. It has been just too wet since last Spring.

My client last night showed me several picture of real nice Striped Bass he caught in the Hudson last year, many over 40".

Unfortunately, with NY's stupid size rules, they all had to be thrown back, they were not in the "size range", which is different in the Hudson than in the LI Sound (they are the same fish). You can also only keep one fish.

Of course, if you are illegal, you can keep whatever you want, and no one will bother you! As such, I have no delusions that the fisheries will ever recover.
In my humble opinion, it's better for your health to let those ones go anyways. Apex predators like Stripers and Muskie take on all the mercury from the smaller fish they eat. Once they have reached trophy size, they will have taken on a lot more mercury than the smaller bass in the retention size slot.
Here's a good one from last spring:received_260554886620880.jpeg

GE used to spray used oil on the dirt roads in NY as a "public service", until local officials realized it was PCB contaminated oil!

I guess a lot of our roadways are not like the Hudson! Imagine, they can build jet engines but they can't figure out how to remove PCBs from the Hudson!

GE ... they bring good PCBs to you!
...and you could go to SUNY New Paltz in the early '90s and get your BA or BS and get your PCBs...

https://www.change.org/p/andrew-cuo...-dioxin-contamination-of-suny-new-paltz-dorms

Noah the farmer, who lived on the dirt road below us had a home made sprayer that he used to spray used oil on the road to keep the dust down. There was so much on the road it was almost like black top.
Around the time I was born the town started using chip and oil on our road... it was a dirt road servicing farms before that. They put down chip and oil every year or two and it made a mess out of cars, lawns and bicycles. When they put "real blacktop" down in the early 70s we had a legitimate road... a cause for celebration! That was short lived joy though as the IBM expansion driven housing explosion wiped out all the farm lands we played and hunted on.

We were in a "Severe Weather Alert" yesterday from a system that hasn't gotten to you Eastern guys yet. Suppose to only get a dusting/slush in our area, though. Actually, it went South and we didn't get anything. Good work day. Got the rest of my marginal firewood stacked on the end pallets and the yard cleaned up.

I put a new oil pump/B&C and sprocket on my MS170 and after a while the bar became hot. Removed B&C and oiler was still putting out. Cleaned oil trough and groove in bar, too. Then I noticed oil pickup holes on bar were clogged. Anyone ever drill these holes larger? any advantage to it? Just thought with larger holes, oil would always get by to the chain.

Latest posts

Back