Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had just finished rebuilding a couple spindles and got new blades for the 60" b2620, then the gear box blew :nofunny:. Not sure how long it had been leaking, as I ever saw a puddle or any sign of a leak, I take full responsibility for not checking it, but it was completely dry. When I checked the parts were around 900 to repair it :cry:. I hated mowing with it anyway so I just bought another exmark, since that and a nice Honda foreman are what I sold to buy my initial small tractor, the b2920. Unfortunately I just blew the engine on the little 52" exmark from low oil too 😕. But at least I can say I was monitoring that one so I don't blame myself for it getting low as I had just checked it. I need to get rid of both of those(the 60" deck and the exmark), and a couple lawn/garden tractors I've bought during that time too. Hopefully I can get this room on the barn done and the dividing wall between the rest of the lean-to finished before spring and sell some of the stuff I've got laying around. It's been tough as I have more money than time right now, so I'm trying to keep my focus on finishing the barn.
As far as plowing the wife's stuff, mine knows better 😉. I've offered to bring my tractor down to my MIL's place to plow a bunch of her landscaping too :). I've been after her for yrs and she/the BIL's finally allowed me to tear a bunch of stuff near the house out and re-grade it then add back a small/easier to maintain plants back in and mulch. I was only allowed to do this after 13yrs of watching water leaking into the basement and my BIL's not fixing it 😅. You should see some of the "repairs", can you say flexseal:laughing:. No problems since I graded it, but the slope is so gradual there could be some problems if it isn't maintained in the future. I always try to make the grade do the work when possible, unfortunately sometimes you need more. I'm glad she can sleep easy and doesn't have to worry about the basement flooding for a while, and I don't have to worry about running over 2hrs away to clean it all up!
Still can't wait to plow one particular landscaping section over/into the ground :p.
I remember the spindle rebuild and gear box issues feom a while back. I never did go over mine, just tossed it on (after a few minor repairs and some wheels.) And attempted to mow with it. It worked, just more work then I had with the smaller mowers. Some bad luck in blowing those engines. I just gotta stop being lazy and look around see what I can grab up cheap this spring.

Do you remember what model it is, or the hp? Only thing i need one to be is a lawn mower. I have a b7510, but the 60" deck is too big. 48" rear discharge is about as big of a deck as I can go, 44" side discharge. (Wife has a ton of crap everywhere in the yard I need ro mow around.)
BX23. 22 hp I believe. It is really clumsy and slow around obstacles but excellent out in the open for mowing. I bought an older 48" Country Clipper zero turn last year for $1,000 and it was awesome for my 1 acre yard and around the obstacles by my in-laws house. I ended up selling it off because the Mrs. had a hard time getting on and off it.

BX23. 22 hp I believe. It is really clumsy and slow around obstacles but excellent out in the open for mowing. I bought an older 48" Country Clipper zero turn last year for $1,000 and it was awesome for my 1 acre yard and around the obstacles by my in-laws house. I ended up selling it off because the Mrs. had a hard time getting on and off it.
Thanks!
No . My lawn is way too uneven to mow with a hard axle . I have a lawn mower for that
Roger that.

Hmm, possibly I'll look at other options then. The bx is about the same size as my yanmar, and it's quite nimble steering round stuff. A zero turn hasn't been a great option with the hills I mow, at.keast not the few cheaper ones I've had. The grasshopper worked great but a hydro went out on one side and that basically killed it off for me. (Too expensive.) So I just stuck with the tractors.

Saw therapy today... that junk neotech 845 (543xp clone) nothing crazy since I don't have a lathe available. Base gasket delete will give me 0.0195" squish, widen the exhaust out a little, the cylinder walls are so thin it's crazy. I went too wide on the first cylinder. So this is a fresh husqy cylinder. Already looks way better then the neojunk. Lot closer in the makeup of my gz4000. Secondary air is designed a bit different too. I'll smooth out the transfers a bit to match up better to the case and still undecided if I want to raise the intake or not. Stratto saws are still kinda a mystery to me for getting the port layout right. Should just stick to the old junk I know.

Attachments

• 20240217_135350.jpg
    20240217_135350.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I remember the spindle rebuild and gear box issues feom a while back. I never did go over mine, just tossed it on (after a few minor repairs and some wheels.) And attempted to mow with it. It worked, just more work then I had with the smaller mowers. Some bad luck in blowing those engines. I just gotta stop being lazy and look around see what I can grab up cheap this spring.
It's like saws, gotta have a bunch of them to get anything done lol.
Sometimes if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all lol. I shouldn't do bad on the exmark when I get around to doing something to it or just selling it outright, which is most likely what I'll do.
Hmm, possibly I'll look at other options then. The bx is about the same size as my yanmar, and it's quite nimble steering round stuff. A zero turn hasn't been a great option with the hills I mow, at.keast not the few cheaper ones I've had. The grasshopper worked great but a hydro went out on one side and that basically killed it off for me. (Too expensive.) So I just stuck with the tractors.
I hated mowing with the b series, slower than any zeroturn I've ever mowed with, except the blown up one I have now 😆. The fastest thing on a smaller/high obstacle or hilly yard is a walk behind zeroturn with a sulky, they kick butt, I just hate having to stand lol. I also like being able to sit and back up when blowing leaves off the yard. A nice 60" walk behind unit with a vacuum would do a great job here, when we bought the place I had a 52" set up like that and sold it to upgrade... to a 60". The belt drive zeroturns are pretty good as you can whip the inside wheel backwards when you get to the end of a turn and you don't tear the grass up like a hydraulic unit, but if you have a lot of areas you need to back up they kinda suck until you get used to bumping the gear controller with your knee.
I'd still like to try a stander, but they are so costly and they are much taller so you have to jump off them every time you want to go under anything shorter. It's also a step up onto it to get on and down to pick up sticks, then back on, but picking up sticks sucks on a sit down unit too, good thing I have kids :).

All this talk of lawnmowers reminded me that my Ferris blew the cooling fan shaft seal on one of the hydraulic pumps. It apparently wrapped some grass up in the shaft. Gotta get that pump out so I can pull the seal. I hope I can get a replacement seal for it. I don't want to fork out $900 for a new pump.

Got a call from a neighbor asking if I wanted some wood from a tree he cut down. I think it was just a courtesy call because he knew I would. So I went out to meet him in the yard when he brought down a loader bucket of rounds. I got the four wheeler and followed him back to get some of the smaller stuff and he brought two more buckets. It's pine, but it's been dead for a year so it's pretty dry, some of it is in the OWB now even. Technically still a scrounge, but when they call you and deliver it, it's a lot less work. 👍20240217_143510.jpg20240217_152853.jpg

Got a call from a neighbor asking if I wanted some wood from a tree he cut down. I think it was just a courtesy call because he knew I would. So I went out to meet him in the yard when he brought down a loader bucket of rounds. I got the four wheeler and followed him back to get some of the smaller stuff and he brought two more buckets. It's pine, but it's been dead for a year so it's pretty dry, some of it is in the OWB now even. Technically still a scrounge, but when they call you and deliver it, it's a lot less work. 👍View attachment 1154637View attachment 1154638
Looks like you have trained your neighbor well.;)

@sean donato I have a hydraulics question. On my NH 2120 the bucket curl up function is very slow until the fluid gets warm and I can hear the pump working harder than any of the other functions. Seem like a restriction to me. Everything is greased and moves fine. Are there any particular areas to look at or is this a take it apart until I find the problem type of issue. I was thinking maybe a hose is coming apart internally and causing a check valve type of issue.

Thanks for any input.

@sean donato I have a hydraulics question. On my NH 2120 the bucket curl up function is very slow until the fluid gets warm and I can hear the pump working harder than any of the other functions. Seem like a restriction to me. Everything is greased and moves fine. Are there any particular areas to look at or is this a take it apart until I find the problem type of issue. I was thinking maybe a hose is coming apart internally and causing a check valve type of issue.

Thanks for any input.
I'd say you're on the most likely track with the hoses. I've heard of some odd stuff happening with quick disconnects (if your loader had them.) But it's unlikely that it would just affect one function.

Thanks for any input.
Not an expert Lee but on my tc55da my curl down is slow. I think it's in the joystick control. I move it around and then it will start working better. Dad's NH 2120 was finicky too.

Thanks for any input.
It could be that your curl cable needs a slight adjustment.

This intake design is stupid, 2 bolts down near the bottom, and the metal plate wasn't flat to begin with. Glass plates the back of the intake, got it pretty good, and a but of dirko ht for insurance. Just waiting for it to dry up for another vac/pressure test. Hopefully it's holds this time.

Attachments

• 20240217_180701.jpg
    20240217_180701.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back