Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you should have taken advantage of the warm weather to heat up your cast iron. Then you could stay warm for days.
Third day in a row of 60 degree weather here in Mass. It is officially ice out day on the pond out back. I got in my O rings for my Valby chipper hydraulic feeder valve. That is up and running again. If you ever take apart one of these detent valves do it in a 5 gallon bucket. The detent balls and springs sure do go flying. I did manage to find the springs. The local hardware store had the 2 5/32" balls that are somewhere in my garage. I also exchanged my so called filled/empty acetylene tank this morning that I just picked up last week. The guy said sorry about that. "Poor quality help is easy to come by these days."

Attachments

• 20240228_102844.jpg
    20240228_102844.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I left the inner dogs off because I’m going to do a few test cuts with the 28 inch bar . Waiting for the Grandberg milling chain to come ,it was shipped today . Then I’ll put it in the Alaskan mill try it out .
I missed which saw you're talking about putting on the mill. How big is it?

I missed which saw you're talking about putting on the mill. How big is it?
395xp 94 cc . I did this mod because when the saw is mounted on the mill the factory exhaust port points down so the exhaust just sits around the work area . I’m hoping this will blow it away from me

I left the inner dogs off because I’m going to do a few test cuts with the 28 inch bar . Waiting for the Grandberg milling chain to come ,it was shipped today . Then I’ll put it in the Alaskan mill try it out .
@WoodAbuser did I say something funny ?

50 degrees here with rain today. The yard is defrosting and getting soupy. Looking like more of the same temps for the foreseeable future. We still have about a foot of ice on most of the lakes but I'm not holding out much hope for the remote ice fishing cabin some pals and I rent every year in mid-March. We might have to bring boats instead!
Took a little trip to the coast near St Stephen/ Calais yesterday for a change of scenery20240227_132138.jpg
And the good old bay of Fundy fog started rolling in
20240227_144055.jpg
Coming back up to 500 feet above sea level was like a whole new day, not a cloud in the sky.

I take both dogs off when my 394xp goes in the mill, they just eat up valuable bar space and get in the way. Are you still clamping the bar or did you go bolt/stud mount and drill holes in the bar?

My scrounge for today is not wood related. Last week I was looking around for a new set of tire chains for the front of my tractor. I found these on Epay for $75 with the shipping included. My first set I bought back in 2016 for $105 shipped from Walmart. They fit my 10 x 16.5 NHS tires great. They are now getting close to losing some cross bars. For $75 shipped I just couldn't pass on these. Now they sell for $129 at Walmart.

Attachments

• 20240228_143056.jpg
    20240228_143056.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I take both dogs off when my 394xp goes in the mill, they just eat up valuable bar space and get in the way. Are you still clamping the bar or did you go bolt/stud mount and drill holes in the bar?
I’ll take the outer off when I change the chain to mill . I left it on to put the saw into wood while tuning. I clamp the Alaskan to the bar

Latest posts

Back