Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we're all coming to your place for a scrounger's GTG!
I was talking to the one neighbor, there is some standing dead on that one tree line, looks like they are going to have to be made into firewood this year too…

I’d rather go over Marks and check out his truck collection!!

That guy only lives maybe 15/20 min from me

Hey SS396, looks like the wife wants Gabbys in Ellenville tonight. I’ll be in your backyard

My nephews used to work for tree guys, they’d drop off wood all the time. It was nice cause they would cherry pick for me and make sure I didn’t get soft wood.
Downside, it was all different lengths and rarely cut straight. Always seemed to have a weird angle….
Yep, I work in production tree removal. If the wood isn't being saved to be sold for firewood, or for the boss' personal firewood stack.. the wood is cut and removed in the quickest manner possible.. in other words, "just cut the dang tree!"
The result is always what you have described 😆

And bringing the fishing gear!
It’s a tough time of year for me

The trout are there, BUT, it’s also when the striped bass are running on the Hudson

The trout are 5min away, the best fishing is actually a little upstream

The stripers are a 20min ride and tow the boat, but a ton more rewarding

This was my old boat, got a bigger one now
View attachment IMG_9201.mov

Got ahold of some tree guys to drop off wood….goal being to never have to go get wood and load in truck agian lol…we all know that won’t happen….it’s actually fun to be able to cut in your own yard!!View attachment 1160575View attachment 1160576
That is a nice haul. Some of the tree service/removal companies by my parents will do this for free.. though they are quickly overwhelmed with drop sites and we don't often get much.

Worth a try though, if you don't mind handling the wood a little. Most tree guys are looking for a place to dump the wood!

That is a nice haul. Some of the tree service/removal companies by my parents will do this for free.. though they are quickly overwhelmed with drop sites and we don't often get much.

Worth a try though, if you don't mind handling the wood a little. Most tree guys are looking for a place to dump the wood!
Oh ya I would never pay for the wood would defeat my purpose….i have been beating with the boiler for prob 10 years and had to help my dad when I was younger…at this point in my life if I can be supplied by them I would be thrilled. !

Most the guys I talked with have to pay to dump so the word free is very attractive to them!!!

Oh ya I would never pay for the wood would defeat my purpose….i have been beating with the boiler for prob 10 years and had to help my dad when I was younger…at this point in my life if I can be supplied by them I would be thrilled. !

Most the guys I talked with have to pay to dump so the word free is very attractive to them!!!
Two things

1 What is on that piston in your picture???

2 yeah, I think that is how we all started…
Helping our dads. I think you are 8 in 3rd grade, that’s when firewood became my chore. Been doing it ever since

Two things

1 What is on that piston in your picture???

2 yeah, I think that is how we all started…
Helping our dads. I think you are 8 in 3rd grade, that’s when firewood became my chore. Been doing it ever since
Well I used to rebuild a lot is saws, that was a slug on top of a piston In a saw I was rebuilding….it sure looked like it ran with that on the piston because I had to pry it off, I still wonder what it was from….I kept it as a “trophy” for awhile and eventually got thrown out….i had seen a lot of crazy **** in saws but that was a first!!!

My nephews used to work for tree guys, they’d drop off wood all the time. It was nice cause they would cherry pick for me and make sure I didn’t get soft wood.
Downside, it was all different lengths and rarely cut straight. Always seemed to have a weird angle….
I call that stuff "dad's fire wood" his wood stove hardly holds any amount of wood, so whatever odd ball little stuff I don't want to deal with goes over to his place now. Plus since he retired he has all the time in the world to keep after it.

New coil fixed the 450 husqy right up. Replaced the plastic piece that the carb attaches to since the one hole wad half stripped out. Not that i wanted to cut in the rain, took it out to the log pile and cut with it for a while. Should have kept the 345, I'm pretty sure it would out cut the 450. Glad it's finished at any rate. Give it back to the guy next week when I see him at work.
Going over to dad's place tomorrow to cut and split some wood he's had laying around forever. My younger brother is supposed to be coming over to help. Debating if I want to take the kubota and my splitter over with me or not. His kubota doesn't have forks and his 3 pt splitter is slower then molasses in January. Hopefully we get everything bucked up and piled so he can split it at his leisure.

Back