Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you guys know, I’m very active in the Lions Club.

I don’t have the full details on what’s going on with these stoves or where they are at. But somewhere in northern Europe, these wood stoves are being produced on behalf of the Lions club international and are being distributed to individuals in Ukraine who have been displaced by the Russian attacks.

View attachment 1162074
That's awesome! The Lions clubs are dying around here. Not enough volunteers. Everyone's too busy with their own lives. :(

I don’t have the full details on what’s going on with these stoves or where they are at. But somewhere in northern Europe, these wood stoves are being produced on behalf of the Lions club international and are being distributed to individuals in Ukraine who have been displaced by the Russian attacks.

View attachment 1162074
Looks like an exhaust pipe for the exhaust.
Is it for cooking on top, heat, inside or outside use.
Wonder if I can get one. I'm also wanting one of the freedom seed tools they were handing out to everyone over there :).

Looks like an exhaust pipe for the exhaust.
Is it for cooking on top, heat, inside or outside use.
Wonder if I can get one. I'm also wanting one of the freedom seed tools they were handing out to everyone over there :).
They are called cook stoves, certainly would heat a smaller house too.

That's awesome! The Lions clubs are dying around here. Not enough volunteers. Everyone's too busy with their own lives. :(
Volunteering is down globally especially after covid. The oldest club in our district is on the verge of dying as is one of the (formerly) most active rotary clubs in the area.

Our Lions club is at an all time high because we have the benefit of recruiting retired transplants who have moved out of the cities to their cabins up here. In a town of 590 people we have a Lions club of 69 members strong....granted 3/4 of the club members live in rural and lake areas outside of town.

EDIT: They are being made in Finland

View attachment 1162074
I salute you, my friend. My grandfather lost an eye to measles when he was a child and lost the second during an accident on a jobsite when he was 21. He was heavily involved with the local Lions club, and quite honestly I think it was his saving grace.

Looks like a nice load of Chestnut Oak, I love milling that stuff! It is my favorite!

It is in the White Oak family.
He’s taking more down this weekend . If I can get my Kubota over there it would make my life that much easier. Most of the wood there is oak with a few black birch and some maple . But 90% is oak

All right gun freaks. Young guy a work with has been hounding me to sell him a 12ga. 870 rifled slug barrel I have. It's a blued Remington barrel with the cantilever scope mount and no front sight. I see what they go for online, but what's realistic?
I've got one on my gun but have been looking (unsuccessfully) for one for my daughter. (My barrel is a Hastings).

How much do you want, and what condition is it in?

I've got one on my gun but have been looking (unsuccessfully) for one for my daughter. (My barrel is a Hastings).

How much do you want, and what condition is it in?
Couple little pits in the blueing, but it ain't been used much. I have no clue what's reasonable to ask, I like guns, but I'm not one of those wheeler-dealer hoard/sell kinda guys.

EDIT: They are being made in Finland

View attachment 1162074
These humanitarian efforts are amazing. My high school mechanical drawing teacher was involved with PET (Personal Energy Transportation) as a trustee in the organization. PET volunteers build hand cranked wheelchair/carts that are distributed to areas where people lost feet, legs, etc. to landmines. They also distribute them to those with leprosy, polio and other disabilities. They would pack the trikes using clothing and other things for padding... doing so let them get other relief items to the victims while avoiding problems with the governments.

I enjoyed those mechanical drawing classes... we often talked about guns, hunting, tractors and other equipment, and building construction. I did an independent study on surveying with him... made a topographic map of a 3 acre parcel. Forty plus years later he and his wife attended some of the Ruffed Grouse Society banquets I set up.... COVID stopped the banquets so I haven't seen him in quite a while.

I found some of their videos

All right gun freaks. Young guy a work with has been hounding me to sell him a 12ga. 870 rifled slug barrel I have. It's a blued Remington barrel with the cantilever scope mount and no front sight. I see what they go for online, but what's realistic?
Not sure if I'm all that freaky. I've seen them from 150-250 without-with the scope they came with for the longer version 23 or 24"?.
Does yours take the 3". My first 870 field grade was bought with an 18" slug barrel, which I sold to my dad so I could buy a skeet barrel, both were 2.75 iirc.
I'm not one of those wheeler-dealer hoard/sell kinda guys.
That fits me a bit better lol.

Not sure if I'm all that freaky. I've seen them from 150-250 without-with the scope they came with for the longer version 23 or 24"?.
Does yours take the 3". My first 870 field grade was bought with an 18" slug barrel, which I sold to my dad so I could buy a skeet barrel, both were 2.75 iirc.

That fits me a bit better lol.
It takes 2 3/4" and 3". The barrel itself is right around 20" with another 3.5" of cantilever mount hanging off the back. It's a rifled barrel, not the smooth bore. It was my dad's, he lived in Saginaw County (shotgun zone) but I think he usually hunted with a model 700 chambered in .280 Rem.

It takes 2 3/4" and 3". The barrel itself is right around 20" with another 3.5" of cantilever mount hanging off the back. It's a rifled barrel, not the smooth bore. It was my dad's, he lived in Saginaw County (shotgun zone) but I think he usually hunted with a model 700 chambered in .280 Rem.
Not sure what my old one was, dad's still got it. He also has the rest of it and the 26" skeet barrel, as I left it here with him back in 89 when I moved to FL. He has it set up with a nice scope and ready to hunt deer. My 700 makes a good bit more noise, not quite as stealthy like your dads :cool:.

Todays fun . I have to admit it takes me a lot longer to fill the trailer than it used too. View attachment 1162079View attachment 1162080
I hear you about taking longer to fill a trailer. I use to fill a truck and my 8' trailer in one trip. Today, my butt was dragging after filling only my PU. It's funny too, firewood has gotten heavier.

IMG_2590.JPGIMG_2595.JPG
Still some there of the first pile and then I'll get some out of this pile. Plus there's some Hackberry that I'll pick through. Talked with the arborist too and some White Oak was dropped off.

Bad news, we're having thunderstorms this afternoon/evening and the log yard will be way too wet for me to get into it. Plus, he'll be burning this week:(. So, I'll probably won't be getting anymore this round.
IMG_2591.JPGIMG_2594.JPG

Latest posts

Back