Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All these rigs for chain filing are making me envious. Struggle bus is real over here, I don’t even have a vice LOL 😭
I sharpen more often on the saw , than any other, rather than take it off , if I have a number of chains to do or square filing I will use the chain vise .

I sharpen more often on the saw , than any other, rather than take it off , if I have a number of chains to do or square filing I will use the chain vise .
Same here too on the saw for sharpening. If the chain gets really whacked then off it comes to do on the electric chain sharpener.

Yea I make do without taking it off it’s just a matter of supporting the bar to keep it from moving while also getting proper pressure and angle with the file. It would be a luxury to me to at least have a vice to clamp the bar

Same here I usually sharpen on the saw. However if my father in law borrows a saw or I rock a chain I find it easier to file in the fixture.

Yea I make do without taking it off it’s just a matter of supporting the bar to keep it from moving while also getting proper pressure and angle with the file. It would be a luxury to me to at least have a vice to clamp the bar
Don't be afraid to up the chain tension and use the brake to keep the chain tight and still. I don't usually make the chain any tighter unless it's on a longer bar, but it certainly helps to keep the chain from rocking back and forth. Chain brake will hold the chain in place. A stump vice is also quite nice if you don't have one.

Don't be afraid to up the chain tension and use the brake to keep the chain tight and still. I don't usually make the chain any tighter unless it's on a longer bar, but it certainly helps to keep the chain from rocking back and forth. Chain brake will hold the chain in place. A stump vice is also quite nice if you don't have one.
That’s how I do it, just filing the right teeth with my left hand is a little tricky since I’m right handed. I get by adequately just takes more time than I think it would

One of the first things I got when I moved out of my parents' house was a vice! Currently have one inside, one outside (mounted on a bench under a grill cover), one up at the cabin, and one I plan to mount (I already have the vice) on the hitch on my truck.

Don't know how anyone survives w/o one!

I put the bar in the vice to sharpen the saw, but instead of using the chain brake (on and off a million times) I hold each tooth in place with a shortened paint stirrer. Makes sharpening go much faster.

One of the first things I got when I moved out of my parents' house was a vice! Currently have one inside, one outside (mounted on a bench under a grill cover), one up at the cabin, and one I plan to mount (I already have the vice) on the hitch on my truck.

Don't know how anyone survives w/o one!

I put the bar in the vice to sharpen the saw, but instead of using the chain brake (on and off a million times) I hold each tooth in place with a shortened paint stirrer. Makes sharpening go much faster.
Haven't ever run across short paint before. Do you use it on short stuff?:surprised3:

Yes. I looked into the wisdom of doing so about 5 years ago when I revived by vegetable gardening. The science says the post 2003 PT chemicals used in the U.S. are safe for such use. Apparently if there was "too much" copper being leached into the soil the plants would die before you'd have anything to eat from the garden. That said, the hardcore organic movement advises against it... which may be more faith than science? Clearly there is still a lot of debate on this issue with some using arguments that became moot for PT produced after 2003... no more arsenic! I see it as a Husky vs. Stihl kind of thing. 😉
Thanks for the response, you have more knowledge on this than I do, and I still remember the "old stuff" and the problems it created with bridges over watershed water.

However, my purpose for gardening was to be healthy, so I would err on the side of caution and mill some White Oak for this purpose.

Thanks for the response, you have more knowledge on this than I do, and I still remember the "old stuff" and the problems it created with bridges over watershed water.

However, my purpose for gardening was to be healthy, so I would err on the side of caution and mill some White Oak for this purpose.
White oak would be a good option.

Putting things in context, another reason I'm not concerned about the modern PT is that the leaching slows down and all but stops after a few years of being exposed to the weather. At the same time that is happening I'm adding more compost on top of the beds. From what I've read old bed frames made with arsenic PT become safe over time too so there is no point in ripping out pre 2003 frames unless they are rotten.

It occurs to me that if new frames were built at the end of the growing season, and allowed to weather and dry until the spring planting season, most of the leaching will be gone before the soil/compost is added. On a related note, there is good reason to be concerned about chemical contaminates in the water used in gardening and for potable water--whether municipal, ground, or well sourced.

Some folks line the sides of their beds with heavy plastic... but plastic presents it's own chemicals and if left to deteriorate you end up with microplastics in your food! Microplastics have become a hot topic... A big source of terrestrial microplastics is automobile tires... generally very small particle sizes (ignoring the heavy braking skid marks and burn outs!) that can be absorbed by plants and animals at the cellular level. These microplastics are carried off the roads by wind and rain/snow and make there way into the water. Plastic food packing is another source. Clothing made from synthetics is a big source... with each wash more are shed into the water. In the oceans and rivers the plastic trash breaks down. There is an endless supply of the stuff. The long range impacts on plants, animals (including people) aren't fully understood yet but some lab experiments have shown they can damage and even kill cells. Early studies have found microplastics in as much as 75% of breast milk... along with things like pharmaceuticals, pesticides and flame retardant chemicals. Here's one recent popular press article on this issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/02/05/breastfeeding-microplastics-risks-baby-nursing/

Even a caveman diet isn't a safe diet! I'd be curious to know what is to be found in the whitetail deer harvested anyplace but remote mountains! Where I hunt I know those deer eat landscaping and native plants, and drink from runoff from populated areas. What is upstream of a water supply can be very interesting and not in a good way!

Maybe staying in bed with the covers pulled over our heads is an option (while wearing tin foil hats)? 🤪

White oak would be a good option.

Putting things in context, another reason I'm not concerned about the modern PT is that the leaching slows down and all but stops after a few years of being exposed to the weather. At the same time that is happening I'm adding more compost on top of the beds. From what I've read old bed frames made with arsenic PT become safe over time too so there is no point in ripping out pre 2003 frames at unless they are rotten.

It occurs to me that if new frames were built at the end of the growing season, and allowed to weather and dry until the spring planting season, most of the leaching will be gone before the soil/compost is added. On a related note, there is good reason to be concerned about chemical contaminates in the water used in gardening and for potable water--whether municipal, ground, or well sourced.

Some folks line the sides of their beds with heavy plastic... but plastic presents it's own chemicals and if left to deteriorate you end up with microplastics in your food! Microplastics have become a hot topic... A big source of terrestrial microplastics is automobile tires... generally very small particle sizes (ignoring the heavy braking skid marks and burn outs!) that can be absorbed by plants and animals at the cellular level. These microplastics are carried off the roads by wind and rain/snow and make there way into the water. Plastic food packing is another source. Clothing made from synthetics is a big source... with each wash more are shed into the water. In the oceans and rivers the plastic trash breaks down. There is an endless supply of the stuff. The long range impacts on plants, animals (including people) aren't fully understood yet but some lab experiments have shown they can damage and even kill cells. Early studies have found microplastics in as much as 75% of breast milk... along with things like pharmaceuticals, pesticides and flame retardant chemicals. Here's one recent popular press article on this issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/02/05/breastfeeding-microplastics-risks-baby-nursing/

Even a caveman diet isn't a safe diet! I'd be curious to know what is to be found in the whitetail deer harvested anyplace but remote mountains! Where I hunt I know those deer eat landscaping and native plants, and drink from runoff from populated areas. What is upstream of a water supply can be very interesting and not in a good way!

Maybe staying in bed with the covers pulled over our heads is an option (while wearing tin foil hats)? 🤪
PFAS for days. There’s plenty of off limit deer areas in my state.
Are we allowed to discuss VAX here 😅

Latest posts

Back