Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New truck prices are insane.
Ain't a single new ride car or truck I could afford to buy. Newest I ever had was a two year old 68 bronco, everything else has been high mileage runners or junkers I have to fix. But today, sheesh, even used beat on ones are high. I'll keep what I got for awhile I guess.IF they made a small diesel ratsun like my 81 I would like a new one of those for sure, simple, good mileage, you can haul some stuff in it, although very light duty as trucks go. I think of it as a commuter car with a huge trunk. I'd like to get an 80s ton and a quarter chevy CUCV, but I think cheap available ones have peaked at the auctions and gone away, they are all high now too.

It sucked the big one. I wasn't getting my SS checks then and it represented about 1/4 years gross pay for me. I had some runners stored elsewhere, but they got all my good ones. A kind AS member sold me my 371 at his cost to get me back with a decent big saw, that sure helped. Since then I just haunt CL and once a year or so I buy out the customer no shows and no fixers at my local dealers. Last batch I got four runners so far from the pile, best being a husky 359 and an older model 44 which needs a big more tweaking to be 100%, but still runs ok. Hotrods, both of them.

My dad is sending his 2 mac's my way to try and get one running. He has a mini mac and i think it is an mac3818.... or something like that. It may be fun to try and get them working. One may just need a carb clean or a replacement carb though that could be tough to find.

My dad is sending his 2 mac's my way to try and get one running. He has a mini mac and i think it is an mac3818.... or something like that. It may be fun to try and get them working. One may just need a carb clean or a replacement carb though that could be tough to find.

I have got a few of those running before, and one of them was the only one yank cold start saw I ever had. With that said, the cheap poulans are wayyyy easier to work on and keep running well.

I have got a few of those running before, and one of them was the only one yank cold start saw I ever had. With that said, the cheap poulans are wayyyy easier to work on and keep running well.

These are cause we have them lets see if they will work. Bought my dad a cheapo husky a few years ago that he runs when he needs to cut wood which isn't very often. I will say the skip tooth safety chain on the saw I got him is very very disappointing to say the least.

Not that I have expensive saws or anything but I wish I listened to my father in-law. He cleared his property with a crappy Poulan and Crafstman. Only had an 18" bar. He milled his own lumber to build his guest cabin. Here I am, in my second year of burning, and I already have three saws. One of them is 91cc!

Not that I have expensive saws or anything but I wish I listened to my father in-law. He cleared his property with a crappy Poulan and Crafstman. Only had an 18" bar. He milled his own lumber to build his guest cabin. Here I am, in my second year of burning, and I already have three saws. One of them is 91cc!
I have a poulan that I like. And with a muffler mod and a loop of stihl rapid super, it cuts quite well for what I have invested and I like the way it feels in my hands.
Once while raving about my poulan a guy said "you can cut a steak with a butter knife if you're determined enough" after I bought my 365 husky, I know what he means. There is nothing like a pro grade saw.
I have a 33cc, a 50cc and a 70 but I'm just an Internet ad away from my next saw. Why? Because chainsaws are cool beans and a relatively cheap hobby. Maybe a John Deere saw, or a homelite.....enjoy your saws.

Took a couple more loads out on sunday. I don't care what anybody says, red oak is way heavier than white. Second pic was snapped half loaded cause it was getting pretty dark. If the snow holds off till after Thanksgiving I should finish up the front half of the scrounge. The back will be for next year.

Attachments

• 20151115_150703.jpg
    20151115_150703.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20151115_165845.jpg
    20151115_165845.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Poulans have always been good saws. Price competitive, and they had some dandy powerful ones in the past, and the new ones for the price are pretty hard to beat.

Took a couple more loads out on sunday. I don't care what anybody says, red oak is way heavier than white. Second pic was snapped half loaded cause it was getting pretty dark. If the snow holds off till after Thanksgiving I should finish up the front half of the scrounge. The back will be for next year.

Red oak is some serious weight for sure, so freekin dense. Now the shagbark around here is heavier, but not by much.

Uncle Mike, your right only 5 runner Huskys, one runner stihl, and piles upon piles of Huksy parts. When you get back from the cabin shoot me a email with a grocery list for this weekend. I know we can't survive off of just coors light and wine, so let me know what your thinking and what my pops is planning on bringing too.

Back