Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
read a study on radio collared deer years ago. michigan i think. deer were most active at 30 mph +. i'm always out when it's windy.
I am also getting over my gripes about hunting in the rain. Even if only for a little bit, hunting in the rain can be good. Drying everything out afterwards is a pain. I finally sprayed everything with camp dry after nearly living in my rain gear in archery season. The only thing that got wet was my butt when I sat on the wet cushion. I hope the camp dry helps.

Thinking back I always see a deer or two when hunting in the rain. I kind of feel like I wasted a day staying at camp and not hunting the heavy rain day. Oh well, I will probably hunt the rain next time.

You guys are good motivators to hunt in the wind and rain. Most guys especially at my camp don't hunt if it's raining or with high winds.

My best luck on windy/stormy days is to still hunt the thick areas, they are usually in there and don't hear/smell you as they normally will. They normally don't like to move in the wind because they can't figure out what is going on (unless someone pushes them).

On day 2 of opening season, the wind before dawn was strong enough that I considered getting out of the tree stand for safety reasons. My woods are littered with blown over trees, I don't want to be on one of them when it goes down.

Re: MZs, I really like my CVA Accura and have taken several deer with it. Mine is a V-1 I got on sale after V-2 was introduced ($240) w/stainless Bergara barrel.

Mike, I happened to get lucky in the heavy winds as one of my stands on the edge of a massive clear cut was on the lee side of the hill and didn't get much wind. I didn't know that until I got to the stand. I figured I was going to get blown off of the hill. The deer were moving like crazy that day. I saw 4 between 2:30 and 4:45. Which is great numbers for up at my cabin. I am not very good at still hunting but I am always in or on the edge of the thick stuff. That windy day was the only chance I had to hunt that clear cut stand but I plan to give it heavy use when I go up there for the first weekend of the PA rifle season. It will get at least 2 or more sits. I really feel I have the best chances of filling a tag in that location even though the area probably gets heavy pressure. The best part about this stand is it is ~200 yards from the truck. Which is way closer than I usually hunt to the truck. I am typically 400 yards to .5 mile or better from the truck. I hope the stand works out but expect plenty of pictures.

I completely agree.

No scrounger should be with out a big boy.

The members that talk about giant oak rounds along the side of the road that no one will touch because they are too big.

Heck, I would be completey content with a 550xp and the 394

Well crap I thought I would be done picking up the 562xp everything else I own is smaller. So far I have not run into anything too big but when the time comes I guess I will find something on here.

After seeing deer in windy conditions with 50 mph gusts in archery, I may not stay home the next windy day as long as I can mostly get out of the wind.

Yeah I would normally stay in when the wind is really moving but I have found a stand that works well enough. I had always believed deer just laid down in windy weather.

Yeah I would normally stay in when the wind is really moving but I have found a stand that works well enough. I had always believed deer just laid down in windy weather.

Me too. I didn't think deer moved much in the wind or heavy rain. During the heavy rain this year my buddy and I went for a drive in the truck and saw 17 turkeys and 15 deer. This was just on a small 1 hour loop drive between 3 hunting areas. These deer were all on there feet close to the road. I honestly was really surprised. I spent on afternoon out of the woods because the heavy wind gusts were more like sustained 50 mph winds and that is too much for me. For the next day with similar high wind gusts I saw as many deer as I had on other nicer weather days. I thought they would all be bedded but they were up and moving all I had to do is find a wind break so I wasn't directly in the wind. I have changed my thoughts on using bad weather as an excuse to stay on the couch. I don't have enough time to hunt to wait for ideal weather. So for the 6.5 days I have to hunt in rifle I will hunt them all. Unless I get a big buck then I may stay in on a rain day.

Me too. I didn't think deer moved much in the wind or heavy rain. During the heavy rain this year my buddy and I went for a drive in the truck and saw 17 turkeys and 15 deer. This was just on a small 1 hour loop drive between 3 hunting areas. These deer were all on there feet close to the road. I honestly was really surprised. I spent on afternoon out of the woods because the heavy wind gusts were more like sustained 50 mph winds and that is too much for me. For the next day with similar high wind gusts I saw as many deer as I had on other nicer weather days. I thought they would all be bedded but they were up and moving all I had to do is find a wind break so I wasn't directly in the wind. I have changed my thoughts on using bad weather as an excuse to stay on the couch. I don't have enough time to hunt to wait for ideal weather. So for the 6.5 days I have to hunt in rifle I will hunt them all. Unless I get a big buck then I may stay in on a rain day.
Get in the woods. Only thing you gotta chance of seeing on the couch...is a two-legged dear. They don't cook up bad, but the 4-legged versions in the woods I think, got'em beat on taste. ;)

Get in the woods. Only thing you gotta chance of seeing on the couch...is a two-legged dear. They don't cook up bad, but the 4-legged versions I think got'em beat on taste. ;)

Absolutely. I am usually the one going out in the nasty weather. This year I made an excuse not to hunt and I feel like I missed an opportunity. Ohh well.

Here is a picture from hunting on my birthday last January. It was cold and snowing sideways all morning.
6f80ea42d819c0042a055684ffe067c8.jpg

Sorry for all the hunting banter in the firewood thread but rifle starts here on Monday and I have all my tags available. I am a little pumped to say the least. Slightly desperate as well since my opportunities this year have been a little slim. But a season can all change in a second.

The nice thing about being out in crappy weather is that most other people aren't.

I hunted muzzleloader season in -15 one morning several years ago. Hiked about a half mile to my friends stand to work up the core temp then sat as long as I could before working my way back over to my normal area. Saw several does but was only hunting bucks that year. Nice day nonetheless.

So today a local farmer who I have cut for before, stops in at the shop and says he is tile draining a field and had the excavator pull down some trees one of which was a 100' ash and did I want it? If so, it needed to be cut off the stump so he could drag it out of the way from the drainage guys. I said yeah I want it.
Now it has been snowing here since Saturday and mild temp today along with rain makes for a soupy mess so access called for the sled. I get back there and there are 7 big trees down. After I did my happy dance, I sank the poulan into the first one and immediately pinched the bar. Back to the house and get a hammer and wedge and the husqvarna. Rescued the poulan and it took a ride as the stump righted itself.
I managed to "stump" 4 of them before it got too dark to see. two stayed still, one fell back and the last one came towards us and landed right on my wedge. Had to pry it out.
Oh well, hit the other 3 tomorrow after work.
Guess I'm back in the scrounging business!image.jpg

Sorry for all the hunting banter in the firewood thread but rifle starts here on Monday and I have all my tags available. I am a little pumped to say the least. Slightly desperate as well since my opportunities this year have been a little slim. But a season can all change in a second.
been deer hunting here in PA for 49 years. still get pumped. i see a sick day the second week if need be. we like that thursday.:rolleyes:

i do a lot of sneak/still hunting and when i jump a deer i like the big white target the give you. a lot of guy's shoot to quick. iv'e learned to take my time and get them in the crosshairs. my biggest to date is a 10 point that i almost stepped on. i was putting on a little drive for my buddy and he left me walk by him. i'm left handed and he jumped up on my left side and i had to turn shoot. all he gave me was that "spot" below his tail. i was using my trusty old 30/30.
That's a "Texas Heart Shot " ;)

been deer hunting here in PA for 49 years. still get pumped. i see a sick day the second week if need be. we like that thursday.:rolleyes:
I got the Friday of the second week already lined up for a day off. I may need to look into thursday as well... Heck I should have just taken both weeks off.

Right now I have Monday, tuesday, Friday and Saturday the first week and Monday, Tuesday(travel day), Friday, and Saturday the second week scheduled for hunting. Might have to see how work feels about me sliding in another day.

Back