Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laird's Applejack is very good. One of the oldest american distilleries. It was one of George Washington's favorite so you should try it just for the sake of history! View attachment 469033
I have some. It didn't satisfy when we were taking shots this fall, but may be better on the rocks.... I'll try that soon.

I got me one of them, a DR Power Wagon, holds three whelbarow loads of wood.
Not that good empty going up hill, lots of wheel spin even with chains.
But you load it, it will go almost anywhere. Backing it up can be quite and adventure.
I use it mostly hauling firewood from the distant stacks to the cellar door. Sure beats manhandling a wheelbarrow. even one with both handels.
Wish this weather would settle down, do I keep the fire going or let it burn out and restart it later?
Still stacking wood in my new wood shed. 8x12x6= 4.5 cord, and right next to the cellar door.
If this warm weather keeps, I'll have enough for the winter, maybe even a surplus. The deck and the kitchen table will be safe for another year.
I don't understand the logic of deer hunting with magnum rifle. My first deer was bagged with a 270/150gr RN.
Just too much bloodshot meat for me, I like to eat right up to the hole.
So I switch to a lower power cartridge. 30-30, 44-40 hot load, 44Mag, Much better and min bloodshot meat.
And never lost an animal.
Durring ML season it was a 50cal RB, 100gr FFF, through and throughs and the blood trail starts when the chest fills, about 30yds. If it was a good shot, you'll find him within 100yrd.
Now I have plenty of rifles, 22 Hornet up to 375H&H, but for deer here in the NE, 30-30 is my choice.
I have shot Big Bore target for years and I can still call my shots, so thats why I can be confident with a 30-30.
I'm no slouch with a handgun, got a couple with one.
Shotgun with slugs, forget it, too much waste of meat for me. I like steaks and roasts, not hamburger and sausage.
I guess I got carried away again.

Philbert:
I would just love to post pics, But,
I have to figure out how to use that Cannon camera first, then how to post a pic.
I've had the camera for maybe five years, 8 mp with 24x zoom.
Buttons too small and the writing needs a magnifier to read. Instruction manual confusing.
If I need a pic, I have my grandson Mike do it.
Don't get me started on why I don't have a cell phone.

Getting old ain't for sissies

I've taken more deer with a 300 Win Mag than any other cartridge. If you shoot them through the lungs, you don't waste any meat at all, unless you use too soft of a bullet. I've sometimes had too shoot through brush with that and the .348 that I will bet the 30-30 would not have gone through.

I've taken more deer with a 300 Win Mag than any other cartridge. If you shoot them through the lungs, you don't waste any meat at all, unless you use too soft of a bullet. I've sometimes had too shoot through brush with that and the .348 that I will bet the 30-30 would not have gone through.
I have a model 94 30-30 and it will put a 170 grain Remington core-loc through 1/4" a36 mild steel plate at 100 yards. If the deer are hiding behind tougher stuff than that, I'll just have to wait for a better shot.
Of course that 300 mag, one could simply shoot randomly into the bush and it would eventually either kill a deer or come back behind you covered in customs stamps from all the countries it went through! Lol.

I guess what I got is 'wood burning equipment' related, lol. Without a sharp chain and a saw, heating becomes a little more difficult.

The Stihl 2 in 1 file works great. I think well worth the investment. Took a little longer beings the first time I've used it, but man does it work. I think now my freehand sharpening, single round file/single flat file, left a little to be desired over the years compared to this thing. With the removable/replaceable round files and flat raker file, I think it's pretty sweet. I hit the rakers this time, but will sharpen with the flat file removed, and put it back in about every 3-4 sharpenings. I ain't no sharpening guru for sure...but I like this thing. Just thought I'd give ya my opinion on it. I can't find the Product Reviews deal on TapaCrap, it's been reviewed over there, so I figured this would be a good place to put it.

fbc0cf521692abc10c6f6502a19da4d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

View attachment 469136 The finished product. Rubbed linseed oil every night for three days. I am thinking of getting a chainsaw mill and cutting up a bunch of these. Live edge stuff is popular right now and we get a lot of city folk come up here to cottage country.
That looks great...very nice.

I have a model 94 30-30 and it will put a 170 grain Remington core-loc through 1/4" a36 mild steel plate at 100 yards. If the deer are hiding behind tougher stuff than that, I'll just have to wait for a better shot.
Of course that 300 mag, one could simply shoot randomly into the bush and it would eventually either kill a deer or come back behind you covered in customs stamps from all the countries it went through! Lol.

My property has very dense cover due to the tornado a few decades ago that took out a lot of the canopy. Let me tell you something, if that 30-30 hits a 1/2 live branch, the bullet expands, then another 10' later before hitting the deer, I'll bet good money my 300 or .348 will harvest that deer when your 30-30 won't.

If your woods are not overgrown like mine, it is a fine round and has taken plenty of deer.

My brother did not get an 8 pt Buck a few years ago because his 270 hit so much brush the bullet ran out of steam, and that gun was loaded with hard (Nosler solid base) bullets. I've done a lot of ballistic testing, and I will tell you w/o any doubt that gun will out penetrate a 30-30 with those bullets. The deer was 60 yards away, and he could barely see it.

We all have to deal with the conditions we have.

Latest posts

Back