Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryan goat, you need to make a set of these for lifting that wood up. They just flip into the curve of the bucket and a bolt in the bottom or side works to hold them in. This is my old Ford 1520. They don't weight that much so don't cut your lift capacity much. Don't take up much room and are light enough to throw around by hand. I used 1/4" wall 2"x2" square tube to make them. Work great for brush too. I also had a set that only had 2 prongs at 40" on center to move skids around.
View attachment 485546 View attachment 485547 View attachment 485548
I don't use the 420 often for wood. My john deere has a set of forks on it.

But that is a great idea for the 420.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ryan goat, you need to make a set of these for lifting that wood up. They just flip into the curve of the bucket and a bolt in the bottom or side works to hold them in. This is my old Ford 1520. They don't weight that much so don't cut your lift capacity much. Don't take up much room and are light enough to throw around by hand. I used 1/4" wall 2"x2" square tube to make them. Work great for brush too. I also had a set that only had 2 prongs at 40" on center to move skids around.
View attachment 485546 View attachment 485547 View attachment 485548
What's up cantoo.
Those are sweet, maybe I can grab a set when I come out to do that fishing, wood stacking, quad fixing trip:surprised3:
What would they say at the boarder about bringing stuff like boat motors across one way and other stuff back my way.

Well guys I dropped the black locust I planned on tonight pictures coming soon, but this just in......
The picture appears to be a stem about 3" diameter, protruding about 10 " from the ground, then branches out and no hollow center where you chainsawed it.
Asian Honeysuckle does not generally have a "trunk". Instead there are several stems coming out of the ground or very near the ground from a central wad. The bark of yours isn't even close. The bark is well detailed on the small photo. I've cut a thousand of those. You may get to skip this fun little hobby. LOL
Tip008.jpg
Note the small red berries in the big photo
I found what appears to be one of these dang things, I sure hope it's the only one, I was limited on my time out there today so I just snapped a picture and got to what I came for. It sure looks a lot like the picture above, as soon as I saw it this picture came back like it was a postcard in my hand. You wonder how much you learn when you take in so much on AS, but that is proof that something stuck for meo_O.
Thanks hardpan, sort of, next will be to get rid of them(the new "fun little hobby". The crazy thing is it's one of my kids favorite trees to play on when I'm splitting wood, they will be a bit upset with dad:omg:20160212_175031.jpg2015-11-10 10.32.46.jpg

So I was showing my boy a trick for figuring out where a tree top will make it to when felled.
Don't know the name of it, I would just say it's basic triangulation.
The first picture shows my son figuring out the length the stick needs to be.
Put the stick in your hand tipping it towards you, shove it in your eye socket, well make it fit nicely(the length should be from your eye to your hand.20160212_175336.jpg Now you tip the stick up and sight down the top of your hand where the stick is towards where you will be making your notch at the base of the tree.
You then move forward or back to determine where the top will end up at, top of stick should be at the top of the tree at the same time the part of the stick in your hand should be lined up with the notch.
This technique takes practice and has some varying factors such as the tree leaning towards you or away and being on a hill or flat ground, but will help determine how close it will come to obstacles in the line of fall.20160212_175636.jpg He thought it would drop about 4' behind this stick(my spot). After the tree was down he told me he was lined up on a different tree lol. I can see where he is looking in the picture and will check it out tomorrow to see, but I believe he's telling the truth, he's a great kid whom I thank God for often:)20160212_175722.jpg Here's where I thought it would fall, the top branch broke off and landed within 4' the other part of the branch went the other direction when it hit a branch on it's way down. My saw is lined up with the end of the branch.
Close enough for this job, just like hooked on phonics, it worked for me:).
It's a good idea to practice this on every tree you can even when you don't need it, so you can get a feel for it when you have one you really need it for.20160212_182122.jpg

Chipper1, My Dad had a foolproof way to determine where a tree would land. We had 2 of those little Mac 110 saws because all we were cutting at the time was 12" dia planted pine. He set the extra one down on a stump and that is exactly where the next tree fell, crushed it completely.
Crossing the border really depends on the Agent at the time, some are great and some are azzholes. I used to always get the azzholes.

I bought the same bar in 20" this fall. I would prefer grey paint but seems like a good bar.
Ya always used Oregon bars, like grey little better too, good price on these so thought I'd try one, black not too bad.
Anxious to hear how you like your new 562 when you get it.

Would love to, lets go:chainsaw::chop:
Where is that at, and what side of town are you on.
You mean log lengths like this:laugh:View attachment 485465
Unfortunately tops are not as easy, but if you can leave behind all the branches 3" or under we could probably pull 30 tops to a landing in a day depending on the terrain, distance, and size of tops.

Well sort of, the shed grew around it, and now it continues to grow through the roof LOL.

It worked and was a good healthy tree, no reason to cut it down just yet as it doesn't cause any problems. I have a piece of tin ready if needed.
The shed is designed to be moved from this location as well as the kids playhouse.

I'm surprised you've never seen a roof built around a tree.

Latest posts

Back