Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to, unfortunately I cannot afford to keep both.

The smaller one is awesome for mowing and the larger one for everything else. Unfortunately that's not an option.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Congrats on the new tractor!

image.jpeg It ain't firewood but it darn sure is scrounging. Repurposed the angle iron from my daughters old bed frame into these "bendy" brackets for the side boards on my boat trailer project.
Too muddy to get to my downed scrounge trees. All I can do is gaze at them from the road.

IMG_20160220_115722386_zpsvfyksqtj.jpg

Pulled a decent amount out of a soon to be burned pile. Dropped a few small scraggly pecker poles.

Here we go again with that oak oak oak , next thing you're gonna say is locust this and locust that and then hedge ,,,,,, :(
But hey , free is free ,,,, I keep tellin muhself .... Yup free and plentiful :)
I got your locust scrounge LOL.
Pushed(Japanese felling technique) one of my vertical wood piles down yesterday a nice sized black locust:sweet: as a preemptive strike on anything in the way of the possible future drive out of my new pole barn(these plans are subject to change and the possibility of them never happening). It is also right next to my accessory drive, which is where I am currently set up for splitting and want to grade and seed this summer.
I managed to get 2.5 full buckets and I am enjoying the fruits of that labor right now.
The picture show my wood stove /wood storage area.
ya forgot the hickory snob wood. that's heavier than all of the above.:laughing:
This is true when green, but then it looses 40% of it's weight by volume after it dries and after the beetles eat their share :dancing:
20160220_203735.jpg

So I had a conservationist come out today at lunch. I have 10 acres I am wanting to plant with trees.

The goal for this one is not firewood harvest, but deer property. I have both swamp and dryer land be everything is pretty moist. I am thinking silver maples in the lower wetter area and poplar on the higher hilly areas. Then I am thinking cedar down in the lower areas, mixed with some swamp oak.

Does this sound reasonable? Help me out guys.

Thanks Ryan. Wish I would have saw that earlier as we could have used those for a bridge at my buddies property, sure beats cutting his down and having to clean up.

I think thats the guy who was going to buy a splitter from me 2 weeks ago. I still have his #, maybe I can still make it happen.
Update, left an email, and a message for the other guy, hope he calls back.
If it wasn't the same guy, I'm sure I can scrounge a little wood off his place to since he is clearing a building site to start building this spring.

He is in the only place in Michigan that I know we have Michigan Rattle snakes:crazy2::surprised3:

So I had a conservationist come out today at lunch. I have 10 acres I am wanting to plant with trees.

The goal for this one is not firewood harvest, but deer property. I have both swamp and dryer land be everything is pretty moist. I am thinking silver maples in the lower wetter area and poplar on the higher hilly areas. Then I am thinking cedar down in the lower areas, mixed with some swamp oak.

Does this sound reasonable? Help me out guys.
Guess that depends on how long your willing to wait and what surrounds you. If there is no thick cover around I would plant conifers and let the rest go to crp type fields.

If there is cover and you can wait, fruit/nut bearers are always welcome.

Property Picture Plan.jpg
The plan is shown above.

#1 is going to be tulip trees, they will look good from the house, plus attract rabbits and squirrels
#2 is going to be maples, this is a wetter area so they will adapt better
#3 is going to be poplar, fast growing and will grow in thick
#4 is going to either stay as crp or I will put in bald cypress
#5 is going to stay crp for bedding
#6 is going to be poplar and probably an alfalfa food plot
#7 is going to be a mixture of food plots and fruit trees.

Plan is to have elevated deer stand in middle of plot 6, with shooting lanes in all directions, especially to the food plots and fruit trees.

Oak Trees are generally pretty hardy, and provide good mast food in the Fall. Apple trees are also good to have, but you may need to protect them till they grow (from rabbits & deer).

Oak would be great, but it would be 15+ years before I see the benefit. I am unsure if I will be here that long.

Back