Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple different angles and end grain. Never noticed it till now, look at the tiny worm holes, I guess, on the ends.
bae78159a593d3038909c9b659ddc03c.jpg

ae1103d814649c03b0baa0987e67e730.jpg

Well is the wood dry or green cause dry Gum is a ***** to split.
It split last year like cleaving balsa wood...no strings, no nothing. Never even wasted time dragging out the SuperSplit nor 20-ton Dual Split. It split by itself, when the X27 got near it. Lol.

Alright fellas, we'll figure this turd of a tree out throughout the day...get your TV's on Fox...Atlanta Motor Speedway for the NASCAR boyz. Fastest track there is. Let's go Earnhardt Jr...

stopped by a buddy's place other day... he was out of town and wanted me to ck on his trickle charger keeping his new 6-V 1929 Model A Ford Roadster trickling.... it is on the way to my place. he is carving out some unimproved acreage on side of small hillside. his place is coming along nicely, and recently did some grading and tree removal. quite a pile of oak free for the having!! and this is only a couple of the piles.... not too sure I will get any of it, got enuff to split as it is. I had to laff... he said come take all you want... or if u got a splitter... I will help u split it here. yeah, right... I haul in my splitter, set up... run my saws... and he runs the IN/OUT lever on the splitter... I load and unload... and he mite go for hour's or so work... lol ;)

still, lots of free oak!!!:

rcwood.png

rcwd.png

Nice day so I thought I would run some fuel through the 555. Starting to make my way through the tops.

Then we went to check stands, look for sheds and scout my next scrounge as both neighbors are having hardwoods harvested.

1eb25e45a8209d846275c98dfc82caee.jpg

e083626ba34b2e57b3214946fe71200f.jpg

df3a048b3c2e2c02d27bee0ed1675b0b.jpg

5a29957852e98b158c5c509c2baf62e3.jpg

Fine day in Ohio.

It split last year like cleaving balsa wood...no strings, no nothing. Never even wasted time dragging out the SuperSplit nor 20-ton Dual Split. It split by itself, when the X27 got near it. Lol.

Alright fellas, we'll figure this turd of a tree out throughout the day...get your TV's on Fox...Atlanta Motor Speedway for the NASCAR boyz. Fastest track there is. Let's go Earnhardt Jr...
Nice day so I thought I would run some fuel through the 555. Starting to make my way through the tops.

Then we went to check stands, look for sheds and scout my next scrounge as both neighbors are having hardwoods harvested.

Fine day in Ohio.
Yup

Fine day in Ohio.
We've been getting some beautiful weekend days here in north central ohio here too beentown! Too wet to get to where I'm cutting but 61 F for a high today meant get outside doing something. Arrowhead hunting it was! Behind my house came up empty handed as usual but went to my honey hole behind my parents house and the 8 yr old got his first score:
image.jpg

I hate to do it but I am turning down some pretty cheap priced wood. Neighbour is getting 300 ash trees cut down and wants to sell the tops. Loggers are cutting the tops down to less than 10" though so the tops don't have much wood in them. Buddy wanted to know if I wanted to work with him but I have my hands full right behind my house so I said no. Brother in law who I used to cut with also has a good deal going. Him and I bought the tops out of a neighbours bush about 5 years ago. We took our time and did a nice job of the bush, made a bunch of trails for him and us and got enough wood for 5 years for both of us. The neighbour is now getting 3 bushes logged about 50 acres or so in total, removing every single ash tree. Told us we could have everything for free just do the same good job. About a 20 mile away site for me though so I agreed to help him ( I like to run saws) but will not likely bring much home. I wish there was money in cutting firewood but even with the equipment I have it just doesn't pan out. If I was selling for cash then maybe but we have a small business and cash just doesn't work, already lost an audit a few years ago. Lots of people around here are trying to barter goods and services just to try to avoid taxes.

I hate to do it but I am turning down some pretty cheap priced wood. Neighbour is getting 300 ash trees cut down and wants to sell the tops. Loggers are cutting the tops down to less than 10" though so the tops don't have much wood in them. Buddy wanted to know if I wanted to work with him but I have my hands full right behind my house so I said no. Brother in law who I used to cut with also has a good deal going. Him and I bought the tops out of a neighbours bush about 5 years ago. We took our time and did a nice job of the bush, made a bunch of trails for him and us and got enough wood for 5 years for both of us. The neighbour is now getting 3 bushes logged about 50 acres or so in total, removing every single ash tree. Told us we could have everything for free just do the same good job. About a 20 mile away site for me though so I agreed to help him ( I like to run saws) but will not likely bring much home. I wish there was money in cutting firewood but even with the equipment I have it just doesn't pan out. If I was selling for cash then maybe but we have a small business and cash just doesn't work, already lost an audit a few years ago. Lots of people around here are trying to barter goods and services just to try to avoid taxes.
Could you barter with the cut firewood? Come out on top doing something you enjoy?

What makes it worse is the currency units scam, where it is poof created out of thin air and loaned into existence at interest. An "artificial scarcity". There's no actual need for income taxes, corporate or private, it is all for carrot and stick control over the serfs. ^&^%$$%
Good luck man...

Agent Orange, Lots of Amish selling firewood here, not possible to compete. Lots of other guys selling wood too. Just too many people walking over to the switch on the wall and giving it a flip. Then they complain about price of hydro, oil, propane etc. Nobody on here wants to hear it but if you have a new house, insulated and designed properly it just isn't worth it to heat with wood. I heat 2 houses and a big shop with an owb, I need my tractor for snow removal and our small business use, I can get wood for "free" right behind my house so for me it is worth it. Got lots of neighbours with newer smaller houses and they don't want the bother of real wood heat. The big farmers with big houses are writing off their heating costs on their farms so they don't bother with real wood either. People with old big drafty houses are burning real wood because they can't afford the heat loss using oil, propane or electric. People want less work not more work. Cutting wood is too hard for these people. Most of us here are just cheap bastages and like to be self reliant as much as possible. We are the minority for sure.

Agent Orange, Lots of Amish selling firewood here, not possible to compete. Lots of other guys selling wood too. Just too many people walking over to the switch on the wall and giving it a flip. Then they complain about price of hydro, oil, propane etc. Nobody on here wants to hear it but if you have a new house, insulated and designed properly it just isn't worth it to heat with wood. I heat 2 houses and a big shop with an owb, I need my tractor for snow removal and our small business use, I can get wood for "free" right behind my house so for me it is worth it. Got lots of neighbours with newer smaller houses and they don't want the bother of real wood heat. The big farmers with big houses are writing off their heating costs on their farms so they don't bother with real wood either. People with old big drafty houses are burning real wood because they can't afford the heat loss using oil, propane or electric. People want less work not more work. Cutting wood is too hard for these people. Most of us here are just cheap bastages and like to be self reliant as much as possible. We are the minority for sure.
I understand. I also understand turning down wood, I couldn't get to all that was offered to me this year. Plus side is, it's pushed off the field so it'll dry out till next fall.

Chipper , the cut on that log is break the bark to aid in drying because it's a birch , it's not really an issue on the big stuff because it will get split but it is on the stuff that stays in rounds . I do it on all the birch I cut , it will let moisture out till I get to block up and split .
The tails are 12" to 16" , put a slight curve in them so they'll poke out from under the log .
1/4" is plenty thick .
Thanks for getting back with me and the info dancan.
I figured it was for that, but you never know and I love to learn, now I know for sure.
So would it be fine if it was all bucked up in rounds to not slit the bark.
Thanks for the info on the tails as well.
Best thread in the world:numberone:, right @svk.

Back