Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well boys, we don't have many oak up here so when one falls down, we get to it. Here's my tomorrow evening project. This is about 16" dbh which is about as large as they get up here.

View attachment 497875
Great score though for sure:yes:.
Now I know why you have all those 16" bars, that looks like a top over here.

Just buy one online and get it over with. Then you will find three locally within the next week.
That works for me. Then I buy them all and sell the ones that bring me the most money:envy: and bring my average cost per saw, splitter quad, or whatever it is down.

Batteries in dumps only make sense if you use it commercially, I think. I can run a set of cables to the tractor or the truck. Otherwise I feel you are always maintaining a battery or going to use it and finding a dead battery.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Never thought about it like that.
I figure if I can afford a dump trailer it would have a battery on it ready to dump when I wanted, or lift on command when hooked up or not.
I would either have a solar trickle charger for it while it sat(if I wasn't using it enough to charge the battery) or I would run an extra wire to trickle the battery when the truck was running.

Never thought about it like that.
I figure if I can afford a dump trailer it would have a battery on it ready to dump when I wanted, or lift on command when hooked up or not.
I would either have a solar trickle charger for it while it sat(if I wasn't using it enough to charge the battery) or I would run an extra wire to trickle the battery when the truck was running.
This trailer is the best of all world's for me. I don't own it. However can use it whenever and it's stored at my house.

This trailer is the best of all world's for me. I don't own it. However can use it whenever and it's stored at my house.

I run the cables for a while, if it gets old I'll put a battery in, and just as you said add a solar trickle charger.

Great score though for sure:yes:.
Now I know why you have all those 16" bars, that looks like a top over here.

That works for me. Then I buy them all and sell the ones that bring me the most money:envy: and bring my average cost per saw, splitter quad, or whatever it is down.
I don't know if it is the soil, short growing season, or just that this northern strain of oak has stunted over the years of evolution but 16" is big and a 20" tree is massive. Nonetheless it is great wood and easy to split and manuever.

It was beautiful T shirt weather and I got out today and did a half day of cutting. Took down a solid Oak and a hollow Hard Maple. Also lowed that 40+" stump a level.

When I got home, I got my newly acquired MS440 running. I must have done OK cleaning up the jug cause there was no smoke at all! I deleted the gasket, advanced the timing and installed a dp muffler. Fingers crossed it runs strong when I put a b&c on it.
Curious. No smoke. What is that supposed to mean? I am guessing the cylinder cleaned up and no smoke from a metal on metal friction?

Speaking of smoke running my 365 on 40:1 now and I get a healthy cloud of smoke from the exhaust until I make a cut or two to get it up to temp.

The ret of the saws on 40:1 only give a few puffs of smoke at start up.

Sunny , 29* and no wind , perfect splitting weather :)

IMG_20160417_095010.jpg

One of the big pines had black ants in the bottom 2' so I left it behind .
I was wrong , shoulda left the bottom 3 1/2' behind .

cgwLQkBbtnUlmqn7FzOOwsCXiWr93BO2jhsfx67jocsewLOlFcJdjHXC5QEd51nxgWvf=w1043-h805-no
For the ants I just use my little auto ignition propane torch. Anytime I have a piece that I think or know has ants it gets set aside if I don't have it with me till I can get it. I just split open a piece that had more in it than I have ever seen before in a piece this size, it didn't smell very good by the time I was done playing chief boy Bretty :barbecue:.
1460945017546.jpg

I don't know if it is the soil, short growing season, or just that this northern strain of oak has stunted over the years of evolution but 16" is big and a 20" tree is massive. Nonetheless it is great wood and easy to split and manuever.
As long as there is plenty to scrounge I wouldn't mind. Your right though, no one wants to work with the ones that are over 30-36", just a lot of work, and all the bids are sky high.

As long as there is plenty to scrounge I wouldn't mind. Your right though, no one wants to work with the ones that are over 30-36", just a lot of work, and all the bids are sky high.
There aren't that many. I get maybe one a year from this grove and there is probably another 3 cords tipped over on about a 10 acre oak grove near my hunting cabin. Eventually they will all get a 2 year suntan in my racks LOL.

I presume the lack of smoke meant the rings seated very quickly, a good thing! (Actually a really good thing since I had just cleaned the transfer out of that cylinder). Conversely, the 460 smoked for a second or two, then cleared right up (still OK).

When stumping, I prefer a bar that goes through as far as possible, otherwise, if you don't meet up in the middle the damn thing does not want to move.

Also, when dropping some large trees with a lean, I prefer to just cut from the high side!

These 3 pics are all of the same Oak.

Attachments

• 40inOak12-26-15 002.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 002.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 40inOak12-26-15 005.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Oak-Maple4-16-16 005.jpg
    Oak-Maple4-16-16 005.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23

That's what I was figuring since you haven't posted about it that I saw, that's also why I worded it as I did in my first post "Looks like the trailer" rather than your;). That works well though for you I'm sure. The smaller aluminum trailer I sold a while back will be parked here at my place and at my disposal also. The big one will be when another buddies big chipper is fixed and I have access to use that as it is already here:).

Back