Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekends results. I finally got to split and stack the cord+ I got from a CL scrounge last weekend. The photo is a cord I had to stack along another fence line as I'm out of room in my normal area.

What's shown was the second cord, with more to go once Fall hits and he can drop a few more trees that will drop into his garden. Two oaks and an elm promised so far with more likely to come this Fall or next Spring.

Two and a half cord of beautiful red oak so far out of this find! Pretty sweet to be getting clean red oak that's been dropped and bucked, with all the brush already hauled to the burn pile, before I even get there!

View attachment 363965

This will be for late Winter 2015/2016 or 2016/2017, depending on how this winter goes.

Now that is a perfect stack of wood. Wow.

I'm just a tad OCD in that I like lines. Straight ones!

My stacks aren't always so lined up, but it helped to have a four foot fence right next to it to use as a guide. You may get a chuckle to note the kindling I split and spread out across the top. While the purpose was to let it dry, it served nicely to fill in the dips...

I don't think I've ever had straighter logs to split and it showed in how easily it all came apart and thus how well it stacked. Man, some of that stuff was practically dripping inside though, so the stack will lean as it dries and I'll probably end up having to fidget with it to keep it from falling over before we need to use any of it.

Thanks for all the kind words though. I did put a little more effort into this one since it's visible to neighbors and will be there for at least a couple years.

We are cutting persimmon seeds here in Arkansas and all we are getting are Spoons!

Stack it tall and stack it deep!

Very nice Mtn. The tallest Mtns in NY are about 1/2 that. But I was surprised to learn (recently) that scientists believe they were once as tall as any on the planet, but the Glaciers and erosion knocked them down to their current levels.

That must be nice to catch your own salmon every year!

So, I helped out a neighbor yesterday. He had told the tree surgeon who had cleaned up the storm damage 2 houses down that he would take the wood, but he was looking at the 12" branches that fell on top of the house & garage. Well, he got those branches, and also got the 30+" trunk.

He has a Stihl 310, so I offered to help. He said not to worry, his son in law was on his way over with a bigger saw. Turned out it was a 290 with a dull chain, and he had never sharpened a chain!

So I came over w/044#2, the 046 (both w/24" bars) and and a timber jack and gave them a hand and let the son in law run the 044 for a bit. I then showed him how to sharpen his chain while I sharpened it for him. They were both very appreciative. Always nice to do a good dead!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 45
I have been building a new 12x20 shed for the chainsaw and hunting gear. 3 days of work and the roof is going on today.

450e3858acbff6417c687ce1aed3be75.jpg

c7654da75fd070092d4355f9b40fa4c4.jpg

99d9cd53148f203e982038d5b4f2c0a6.jpg

3c70cc126c835b4cb661cea2abfa7177.jpg

So, I helped out a neighbor yesterday . .
So I came over w/044#2, the 046 (both w/24" bars) and and a timber jack and gave them a hand and let the son in law run the 044 for a bit. I then showed him how to sharpen his chain while I sharpened it for him. They were both very appreciative. Always nice to do a good dead!

Nice Mike ... that's what the world needs more of!

I'll post some salmon catch pics in October.

On my way home today I saw a tree surgeon having a nice little load on their truck. So I stopped and expected the typical answer. But before I could open my mouth the fellow says let me guess you want the wood? And when I said yes he couldn't believe it, because he meant it as a joke, because no one where I live make his own firewood! Well the boss!!! drove it home to my place and even neglected any payment. He just mentioned for these few branches(~1/2 chord) he would never take anything and I should save my money for when he comes with a real load!

That was ok for me!

Latest posts

Back