Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My psychologist sister in law came over today. She looked out the window and said "Holy sh@t that's a lot of wood! Your getting a little obsessive compulsive." I'm just glad she didn't see me out there earlier. Make a few cuts, swap saws and cut some more. Compare saws, adjust one. Set saw on a round and take a picture. Move tractor and adjust saws and wood for better picture. Look over my shoulder to see if the neighbor is watching my nutso episode. Cut some more.....
I'm just glad I found you guys who understand my affliction. I am not alone!

My psychologist sister in law came over today. She looked out the window and said "Holy sh@t that's a lot of wood! Your getting a little obsessive compulsive." I'm just glad she didn't see me out there earlier. Make a few cuts, swap saws and cut some more. Compare saws, adjust one. Set saw on a round and take a picture. Move tractor and adjust saws and wood for better picture. Look over my shoulder to see if the neighbor is watching my nutso episode. Cut some more.....
:rock2: some things a college edumacation won't/ can't explain

Hey its all about the angle right!?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No wood scrounging today but I sure moved a pile of scrounged wood .
I started moving next winter's wood in the woodshed so I could make some room for this new wet wood I've been dragging home , I also made some more pallet racks so I should be able to stack about 6 cord of scrounged hardwood :)
Yesterday was a good day , Jerry and I got all the wood moved off of the landing , one load hauled home

IMG_20160423_115435.jpg

That load was mainly dead standing birch , heavy enough that we had to unload some rounds by hand before it would dump LOL

We hauled this load to the pit .

IMG_20160423_101711.jpg

IMG_20160423_103122.jpg

After lunch we went and got the last of it , since there was room on the trailer we figured we'd grab a few roadside dead standing on the way to the pit and make up the load .
There was some stuff in there .

IMG_20160423_154236.jpg

IMG_20160423_154244.jpg

And in there

IMG_20160423_163934.jpg

IMG_20160423_164028.jpg

Our wood dump is starting to pile up :)

IMG_20160423_170514.jpg

IMG_20160423_170521.jpg

I even came home with some ready to burn dead standing spruce .

IMG_20160423_163924.jpg

From the temps forecast for this week , looks like I'll be running the circular saw and burning this load LOL
BTW , while the van served me well , the dump trailer might just be a tad nicer :)

Regarding pine. Just find people who want good smelling wood and are smart enough to know that pine won't burn your house down.
Thanks svk.
Most around here want hardwood for anything indoors. I love softwood or some box elder for getting the fire going, but the black locust is my choice for most everything else. I will say that pine smells better than black locust for sure.
I was thinking that it would be sold for boiler wood because many don't care what they throw in them.They will also take loads that are mixed, but you won't get top dollar for it, or you will get complaint's unless you discount it.
Damn critic! That's the junk table in the garage.
I look at thousands of ads a week, I'm not judging(it's what I get paid to do:yes:), just getting a feel for what I'm working with:D.
I was just thinking it was the living room because that's where you said you moved to the other day in the rain.
Seems as though I've touched a nerve:innocent:.
Looks like some good junk:popcorn2:.

@Wood Nazi You sound perfectly normal. Not a thing wrong with you. I bet if we had a survey here, all would agree you are as sane as the day is long:cheers:

Thanks svk.
Most around here want hardwood for anything indoors. I love softwood or some box elder for getting the fire going, but the black locust is my choice for most everything else. I will say that pine smells better than black locust for sure.
I was thinking that it would be sold for boiler wood because many don't care what they throw in them.They will also take loads that are mixed, but you won't get top dollar for it, or you will get complaint's unless you discount it.

I look at thousands of ads a week, I'm not judging(it's what I get paid to do:yes:), just getting a feel for what I'm working with:D.
I was just thinking it was the living room because that's where you said you moved to the other day in the rain.
Seems as though I've touched a nerve:innocent:.
Looks like some good junk:popcorn2:.
Lots of that crap is getting thrown away...as soon as my wife and kids go on vacation. ;)

Lots of that crap is getting thrown away...as soon as my wife and kids go on vacation. ;)
I see a few goodies, love picking through others "junk".
That screwdriver there is just like one of my favorite screwdrivers lol.
Here's a find from a buddies new house a while ago. Just the guage not the saw lol.
It went up to 175+ after 2 more pulls, it's all stock. The picture was from right after I dislocated my rib I wasn't feeling so up for pulling on this one.20160414_094211.jpg

I started moving next winter's wood in the woodshed so I could make some room for this new wet wood I've been dragging home , I also made some more pallet racks so I should be able to stack about 6 cord of scrounged hardwood :)
Yesterday was a good day , Jerry and I got all the wood moved off of the landing , one load hauled home

IMG_20160423_115435.jpg

That load was mainly dead standing birch , heavy enough that we had to unload some rounds by hand before it would dump LOL

IMG_20160423_101711.jpg

IMG_20160423_103122.jpg

After lunch we went and got the last of it , since there was room on the trailer we figured we'd grab a few roadside dead standing on the way to the pit and make up the load .

IMG_20160423_154236.jpg

IMG_20160423_154244.jpg

And in there

IMG_20160423_163934.jpg

IMG_20160423_164028.jpg

IMG_20160423_170514.jpg

IMG_20160423_170521.jpg

IMG_20160423_163924.jpg

From the temps forecast for this week , looks like I'll be running the circular saw and burning this load LOL
BTW , while the van served me well , the dump trailer might just be a tad nicer :)
Nice haul dancan, as always:).
Looks like the pile is getting up there, sure hope you have enough to make it through next yr LOL.
I cut some nice dead standing oak last week and it is ready to go as well. I split it right up with the fiskars through it in the bucket and brought it in.
No stacking:clap:. It should be perfect for the week as they are calling for colder temps here also.1461547891523.jpg

That's awesome!

I wonder if she would say the same thing for say like someone who spends thousands of bucks to keep a membership at a country club, drops tons of the newest exiotic clubs, greensfees, etc and a lot of hours smacking the little white ball around, so at the end of the day have a card with numbers on it...

A lot of people just don't understand a practical working hobby with a payout to boot. a hobby that just costs money, they understand. a hobby where you get exercise, but nothing else to show for it..they understand. a passive hobby where you spend hundreds of hours a year watching other people do interesting things on TV..they understand that. Fixing saws and cutting wood to keep warm, cook food, and maybe sell some on the side, all while enjoying being outside and getting good full muscle groups exercise..you are considered "weird".

Heck, just having a well stocked pantry and other bulk food put away now. from harvesting your garden and hunting or raising meat, in the US gets you on the "potential terrorist" lists, from what I have read. Something successful humans did all through history until recently. Now it is "weird".

Proud to be a chainsaw, firewood, lotsa stored up food weirdo!

IMG_20160423_115435.jpg

IMG_20160423_101711.jpg

IMG_20160423_103122.jpg

IMG_20160423_154236.jpg

IMG_20160423_154244.jpg

And in there

IMG_20160423_163934.jpg

IMG_20160423_164028.jpg

IMG_20160423_170514.jpg

IMG_20160423_170521.jpg

IMG_20160423_163924.jpg

serious ops, serious wood scrounge, serious pix! :) made me feel I was there... over at the picnic table... having a noon-day chicken sandwhich for lunch watching ya'all work on the serious logs... :)

I have a good friend who contracted me to do a lot of tree work for him over the summer, working between other jobs. He's in his 70's and keeps offering to help, but I keep telling him I'd rather he didn't... wife is a strong woman and is all the help I need. While chatting with him, we wandered into a big metal quonset hut he calls the barn, and I spotted a lawn tractor. He just bought a new Husqvarna one because this one wasn't running right. He told me to take it with me... so I did...

Been working on it today, stopping when it would rain for a bit. The mower deck was pretty messed up, but that's alright. I want this for hauling firewood around, moving trailers, etc. at the shop. Took all of the mower deck related crap off of it. It's a Sears Crapsman LT-2500 with a 22HP Kohler engine. Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug. More than an hour with a power washer getting it clean. Drained the stale gas out of it, squirted a little carb cleaner through the carburator. Runs like a champ. Greased everything that looked like it would be better off with grease.

FirewoodTractor1.jpg FirewoodTractor2.jpg LawnTractorParts.jpg

Extra parts free to a good home... LoL...

After we loaded the thing onto my trailer, my buddy says, "Here, take this too. Starts up, but dies as soon as it comes up to speed." It's a 4500W generator. What the hell, I'll find a use for it. Got it home, and disconnected the low oil shutoff. Comes up to speed and stays running. When I have another free day, I'll change oil in it and clean it up, and check the sensor.

Generator1.jpg

I think this stuff counts as a scrounge. In either case, I got me a firewood tractor... for FREE!

:dancing:

I wonder if she would say the same thing for say like someone who spends thousands of bucks to keep a membership at a country club, drops tons of the newest exiotic clubs, greensfees, etc and a lot of hours smacking the little white ball around, so at the end of the day have a card with numbers on it...

A lot of people just don't understand a practical working hobby with a payout to boot. a hobby that just costs money, they understand. a hobby where you get exercise, but nothing else to show for it..they understand. a passive hobby where you spend hundreds of hours a year watching other people do interesting things on TV..they understand that. Fixing saws and cutting wood to keep warm, cook food, and maybe sell some on the side, all while enjoying being outside and getting good full muscle groups exercise..you are considered "weird".

Heck, just having a well stocked pantry and other bulk food put away now. from harvesting your garden and hunting or raising meat, in the US gets you on the "potential terrorist" lists, from what I have read. Something successful humans did all through history until recently. Now it is "weird".

Proud to be a chainsaw, firewood, lotsa stored up food weirdo!
Well said.

Back