Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an impressive pic transporting that log! Trust me when I tell ya we don't move Oak logs that size like that!

Beautiful area though!
Ain't that the truth.
Yesterday I had a guy telling me he used a log arch he had built to move logs this size with his quad, I just smiled and said "wow" LOL.
My little kubota had to work hard to pull it up here to work on it:yes:.20160530_190445.jpg This is after one tank in the 460 with a slightly dull 25" B&C. Rolled the log and blocked it up so I was cutting it on the narrow side. The butt section was 18x24 at the narrow end.
The bar oil I put there for size reference(tractor supply scrounge:)). 20160530_192944.jpg20160530_193015.jpg And here it is with all my cookies cut and then 3-15" rounds left over. These were cut for the school my wife teaches at. She just let me know they need 15 more. That means they need those three pieces and a few more, bummer as I was totally set up for it on site:(. I sharpened the chain and refueled and finished all this, the load that is on the trailer and one more cookie that was also on the trailer when the picture was taken.
20160530_202506.jpg

Here's the actual scrounge after all the cookies where cut. I'm pleased as I did it all last night after driving back from Ohio and it was all cut and loaded after 6pm:). She made 2 trips with cookies to her school and then I brought the ones on the trailer home and loaded those in this morning. Bummed that they need more, I will do the best I can to get them to them today as these are "stepping cookies"(lol) for a little walking path/trail in front of the school and they are putting the mulch in today and tomorrow.20160531_072635.jpg This is what the cookies looked like in the back of the sagging Honda wagon lol.20160530_220142.jpg Mike this ones for you. It was missing part of the front lower bumper cover and it had an intercooler hanging out of it:sweet:. It was dropped pretty good with what looks to be a set of Flowmasters on the back, it sounded good:rock:.
20160530_155312.jpg

That is an impressive pic transporting that log! Trust me when I tell ya we don't move Oak logs that size like that!

Beautiful area though!

Standing dead for 8 years, still good, and carrying it like that? I too am oak minded and thought WTF, photo shopped? LOL

David, had a big forest fire go through the area about 8 years ago.

Foreign to me, those conifers. Do they maybe last longer standing when burned, maybe sap in the bark boiled and of no interest to insects and of course woodpeckers? I thought the smaller limbs would burn more.

Foreign to me, those conifers. Do they maybe last longer standing when burned, maybe sap in the bark boiled and of no interest to insects and of course woodpeckers? I thought the smaller limbs would burn more.
If the sap is burned in they last darn near forever. We have white pine snags that were cut in 1912 and were burned slightly that are still standing.

Hey Nate , I got home from work and put on my best safety crocs :)

IMG_20160531_192319.jpg

Here's Pioneerguy600 plain' Donk , might not be as big but it's long LOL

IMG_20160221_161354.jpg

Nice to have help like that!

Kind of like that one fellow on Crocodile Dundee. "I don't need a gun mate, I've got a Donk."
Yes it is! Very thankful for my son, he really is a great kid (young man) always been very helpful, not a trouble maker at all, and my best friend, been differant now that he has girl friend though hardly ever see him anymore, lol. Sure glad he waited this long he's 18 now.

Yes it is! Very thankful for my son, he really is a great kid (young man) always been very helpful, not a trouble maker at all, and my best friend, been differant now that he has girl friend though hardly ever see him anymore, lol. Sure glad he waited this long he's 18 now.

I wish him happiness with his new relationship, nice to have a son that good & close, you must have done a good job!

The bark fell off most of these after the fire, and it's dryer there, other area's that were wetter and the bark stayed on the trees started to get pretty rotten after the second year, even standing trees.

If the sap is burned in they last darn near forever. We have white pine snags that were cut in 1912 and were burned slightly that are still standing.
My Dad told us awhile back that this tree had been dead for over 50 years, it was a ponderosa pine
image.png

The bark fell off most of these after the fire, and it's dryer there, other area's that were wetter and the bark stayed on the trees started to get pretty rotten after the second year, even standing trees.
It's strange how some of the spruce I've scrounged up was dead standing in a swamp with no bark but still had a solid white core and yet dead standing in high ground with bark was no good .
I run the bar through it , white sawdust or brown , that's what I look for one the trees that I'm not sure about.

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Latest posts

Back