Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I didn't mean to put :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: in there but that works ;) lol. Nice scrounge btw, sounds like you been busy.
That's funny Nate. I should put that right in my signature, as I like pictures:).
I'll get another video of my new to me little plastic saw cutting up a few pieces of that wood late tonight.
But for now I just have this short one of it in a piece of red oak, and the longer one is a piece of very hard dry ash.
Still getting a feel for it, but enjoying it for sure.

Same here. Seems every time I cut hay I find where more mature trees have fallen. Been watching site for a while & didn't take much to pull me in
I'm sure there are a few guys down your way who would like to come get a tree or two out of the fields for you.
We're glad to have you here CB:).

I'm sure there are a few guys down your way who would like to come get a tree or two out of the fields for you.
We're glad to have you here CB:).
Thanks! Buddy has a big ole pecan tree about 3 1/2 ft. through that lightning got last yr.

I was able to find 029 Super and 290 specs in Google search, but not the regular 029 (except in cubic inches, not cc s and I did not want to convert).
I get that Mike. All I searched was "stihl 029 specs" and here is what I got.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=stihl+029+specs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
I've got my computer pretty trained on what to look for. Sometimes it makes me bummed out when on a different one and I can't find something easily found on mine. Then other times I get frustrated when I can't find something I know should be there on mine.
Here's the last video of the 2145, enjoy :popcorn2:.

today brought a welcomed scrounge as compared to the unwelcomed one yesterday! next door to my previouse oak scrounge... directly across the street from me, I hear some saws... and when I get outside after some coffee and fun AS posts n messages... I see the H. Tree Team has come up from Houston...

P1010002.JPG

at the bottom of pix u can see end of my driveway. and under the Tree Team's truck u can see what I spotted.... :p

they were here all day, and later in afternoon the pile of limbed limbs had only gotten larger. I wanted to inquire about the wood, did they want it or not?... but hemmd n hawed over it... YN, NY, YN will I or wont I inquire?... kinda thot I would not... not bother them, etc. besides I dint what to hear: NO. lol... I could plainly see they were real busy and working hard... could see limbs coming down via ropes etc. and plenty of brush to shred...

P1010003.JPG

but decided to take dog for walk and as I walked by inquired as to speak English? Yes! so talked about the wood, and sure enough take what you want! :D:D. they also removed some smaller stuff off the truck and tossed it down to get added to the pile. the wood is white oak, pin oak and some pecan... workx or me! sweet deal, imo. :sweet:

clean cut oaks, etc... all delimbed...
P1010004.JPG

they offered me bigger chunks, too... I said I dint really need it as I had a bunch to split as it was. and it was hot out! later on I let them know I would take some more of the smaller stuff on truck, but they were getting to end of day and dint want to dig it out. this is what I did not take:

P1010012.JPG

prob a lot more further in the truck, too. but I only caught up to them at day's end...

tree tools the Tree Team arborists used today:

ropes, belts, hand tools, helmets, harnesses, etc. Stihl MS 311 and a Stihl MS193T saws. nice rope!!

P1010010.JPG
also, a working Stihl T-handle MS 201T ...
P1010011.JPG

I know the residence well. knew the previous owner well. imo, too many trees. and he let it get a bit overgrown. the Tree Team did a really nice job cleaning up the place, although imo... still too many trees. I wouldn't like a place with so many trees. especially in fall! lol. but, crisp and clean it looks now thanks to the Tree Team's attention to detail. looks like the place is ready for a Sunday Show n Shine... ;)

and I was very appreciative for the free, easy scrounge just a few feet from my front drive... all in all, a good day scrounging...

postscript: later in eve I got to some mowing and had a camp fire going, as well. I always like to be sure to burn some of the wood first day of a good scrounge. its a tradition of mine. so I got some of the lighter stuff and added it to my camp fire on other side of yard... I liked it, Brutus liked it even more so...

Hey guys.

I was on a canoe trip for the past week and out of cell service. Did some real firewood scrounging out there but not much for pics. Weather was mostly crappy but we slayed the fish when we could get out. We had three awesome meals of fish cooked in various methods.

It was a Murphy's law type of trip. We destroyed 4 new rain suits on our way in, broke or lost three rods and two reels, and I forgot to pack my sleeping bag, sweatshirt, and swimsuit. But we had many good times too.

Here's a cedar log I scrounged from a forest fire area that had started burning from the inside out when the fire came through.
View attachment 514082
Cool

Been off in the wilds of the French River just off lake Nippising. Caught a few fish and swatted mosquitos. Beautiful spot.
I've been up that way a few times myself. Nice country up there, and not bad where I live too.

Can you train my computer??? Can't tell you how many times I searched for that using different wording w/o finding it!

Gave the little 029/390 a workout yesterday, runs good, but nothing to write home about. Fast on small to medium size wood, but craps out easily on the larger stuff. I guess it is good as a homeowner/backup saw. It was an interesting project, cheap, and a learning experience. I'm likely too spoiled by my other saws to appreciate this thing.

Then I spent 2.5 hours milling some Shag Bark Hickory, made 7 boards all over 6' long and over 6" wide (all a full 2" thick). Also downloaded an app for the computer to re size my pics, so I can share!!! Milling was done with my Smittybilt ported 046.

Attachments

• IMG_20160729_144218966_HDR (Large).jpg
    IMG_20160729_144218966_HDR (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20160729_145659691_HDR (Large).jpg
    IMG_20160729_145659691_HDR (Large).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20160729_165317700_HDR (Large).jpg
    IMG_20160729_165317700_HDR (Large).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
Can you train my computer??? Can't tell you how many times I searched for that using different wording w/o fining it!

Gave the little 029/390 a workout yesterday, runs good, but nothing to write home about. Fast on small to medium size wood, but craps out easily on the larger stuff. I guess it is good as a homeowner/backup saw. It was an interesting project, cheap, and a learning experience. I'm likely too spoiled by my other saws to appreciate this thing.

Then I spent 2.5 hours milling some Shag Bark Hickory, made 7 boards all over 6' long and over 6" wide (all a full 2" thick). Also downloaded an app for the computer to re size my pics, so I can share!!! Milling was done with my Smittybilt ported 046.
Maybe lol. Sure can be frustrating when you know the info is out there all over the net. Many times I will also search what I'm looking for and then put the specific site such as AS. It amazes me that google and other search engines can direct you to where they believe you want to go based on their algorithms.
The sad thing is how often they get it right. The thing that bothers be is when I have already bought an item and they keep putting all sorts of ads in on all the sites I'm on.

The little farm/ranch saws are great saws when you expectations are realistic, but once you've tasted the good stuff, it is hard to go back. That being said we have a tendency to over focus on saws and not look at other aspects of gathering/processing wood that are just as important. The Huskee splitters you and I have are painfully slow but get the job done, much like a farm/ranch saw does. I enjoy playing with saws so that is a biggy for me, but if I had a nice fab shop set up or available the huskee splitter would be down the road just like the farm/ranch saws are :buttkick:.
Did you mod the muffler on the 029/390 because they are very choked up. If you did I would check the compression and give it a good amount of break in time on some conventional 2 stroke oil not synthetic. The lubricating properties of synthetic oil slow the actual break in process substantially.
I also find these saws hard to get a good tune on so they will perform well, did you tach tune it, or ear and performance.

I think one of the next phases of learning for me will be how to sharpen well and I have been considering a square grinder. I know I can get some business both local and shipped to me if I get one. You know what a good square grind can do with so much more cutter working for you :yes:.
So any tips or direction from you guys would be greatly appreciated as I have never been taught the finer aspects of sharpening. I have read a fair amount and do progressively grind my rakers(yes grind, I ain't filing those things LOL).

That wood looks very nice.
I will be bringing 6-10'+ logs to another AS members on Tuesday to have them milled into cant's for a GTG up this way in August. It would take me forever to do it with the alaskan sawmill, a bunch of fuel and oil, as well as a lot of chain sharpening. It will take me more time to load the logs and to drive there than to mill them up :clap:. Besides it will be a great time and he will burn all the slabs we cut:blob2:.

I just sold my last 460 this past weekend so I will be looking for another, great saws for sure.

Latest posts

Back