Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since were "scrounging" bar oil. this is what i use in the stihls. just bought a case of 6 for $60. i'm anal about some stuff and bar oil is one of them. bars and chains ain't cheap. i run it year round with no problems. about $5 cheaper than stihl oil. just my 2 pennies.
View attachment 528664
I use it all the time. I prefer it over Tractor Supply Co. bar oil and its only a buck or two more than the cheapest I can find anywhere else.

I'll have to see about getting one of those. Someone must have swiped mine! haha

No one swiped it. Did you get it from a big box store? The lowes model does not come with a log catcher but you can buy one directly from dht. I picked one up for my splitter and it works great.

Here is the part you most likely want: https://shop.dirtyhandtools.com/products/log-catcher-kit

Here is my helper double checking the torque specs.

97a1cbe604ea65ead1084c4637c54ddc.jpg

Hey everyone its been awhile.... I haven't worked the wood pile since early April and haven't run the saws since early May. I have been a bit busy. I took up fly fishing and spend the summer fishing every chance I got. At the end of July my second daughter decided it was time to show up. So I have spent the last few months just trying to keep up with the new baby things. But alas the weather finally cooled off and last night it was time to work the wood pile . I got one trailer load split and stacked. I plan on getting another one done tonight. The wood in the pile has been cut since december or may. This hot summer really helped dry it out. It is nice and reasonably light compared to when it was just cut. My back thanks me for waiting. I think I will be out of "wife approved" wood storage space after the wood pile is split. Hope everyone else has been good.

79789835bf6c7438c4d6905661fe8d02.jpg

ac38cdff2405281054346cd975d344b7.jpg

Hey everyone its been awhile.... I haven't worked the wood pile since early April and haven't run the saws since early May. I have been a bit busy. I took up fly fishing and spend the summer fishing every chance I got. At the end of July my second daughter decided it was time to show up. So I have spent the last few months just trying to keep up with the new baby things. But alas the weather finally cooled off and last night it was time to work the wood pile . I got one trailer load split and stacked. I plan on getting another one done tonight. The wood in the pile has been cut since december or may. This hot summer really helped dry it out. It is nice and reasonably light compared to when it was just cut. My back thanks me for waiting. I think I will be out of "wife approved" wood storage space after the wood pile is split. Hope everyone else has been good.

79789835bf6c7438c4d6905661fe8d02.jpg

ac38cdff2405281054346cd975d344b7.jpg
Congrats on the new baby, that's awesome. Sounds like you've had a busy summer. Nice splitter btw.

That's a bummer mine came with oneView attachment 529415 it's a 22 ton.
So is this their newer design or do they have a different light weight/compact version that they ship versus sell in stores?

Also I see the shape of the table is now flat vs curved and they got rid of the measuring tape decal that comes off pretty quickly.

Sunny beautiful day here today at 65/70* but it's now 45* with a 7 mph breeze out there with a risk of frost tonight .
Here's some scrounged up blown down white pine from this summer , the bark was loose , outer 2" softer than the core but still solid and it had a very strong smell of turpentine while splitting it .

IMG_20160801_171240.jpg

Well , here's the same stuff after a couple of months drying out keeping the chill out of the house .

aoLzBWNQDMFLNPvxKXkNnOewWndOMUa3Uz4hr4fCLuhWIuEMI6ZBGfUMlm-YnzRqh50TzTcKOZI=w924-h868-no

Worth the effort to scrounge up ?
I say yes :)

Sunny beautiful day here today at 65/70* but it's now 45* with a 7 mph breeze out there with a risk of frost tonight .
Here's some scrounged up blown down white pine from this summer , the bark was loose , outer 2" softer than the core but still solid and it had a very strong smell of turpentine while splitting it .

IMG_20160801_171240.jpg

Well , here's the same stuff after a couple of months drying out keeping the chill out of the house .

aoLzBWNQDMFLNPvxKXkNnOewWndOMUa3Uz4hr4fCLuhWIuEMI6ZBGfUMlm-YnzRqh50TzTcKOZI=w924-h868-no

Worth the effort to scrounge up ?
I say yes :)
I like white pine even though it doesn't burn all that long. My home town was put on the map thanks to white pine.

Pine is nice for this time of year , it burns well , creates plenty of heat if the draft is open , throw a couple of big blocks in and close the draft for less heat and a fair burn time .

Has anyone seen wudpirat around lately , I sure hope things are well .

Latest posts

Back