Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VinceGU05

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
Sure hope you pulled them stumps upright and got both them butt ends lol

We milled the longer piece today [emoji16][emoji1360]

d039520c60df7583442dccb4587dfa59.jpg

65f2d54bd79f0abff1ab10133407868f.jpg

67f68a31e4627bd02980b4ad4925bebe.jpg

2484c13149efdbd000648164d503ed30.jpg

Then visited my mate up north. Talked crap, got parts and got another trailer load. I am stuffed !!!

14e8487fd4f6cfc71e70f90c1d8d9b2f.jpg

JustJeff

JustJeff

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
IMG_0410.JPG Came home from work and it was 20 degrees. (That's warm for y'all who don't speak centigrade). Felt like doing something. Snowed last week and my splitter is put away in its winter hiding spot so I pulled out Excalibur (ms460) and noodled a couple rounds of gnarly maple. This little pile is from one round. Lots left where that came from. Here's to gorgeous fall days!

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

ArboristSite Guru
I'll concur on the service and prices from Performance Outdoor Equipment and the Tsumura/Total Super Bars. I've been too cheap to get the lightweight versions, but the regular solid 32" TSB I just got for my 385 cost $89+$10 shipping, which is the same price as an oregon powermatch from baileys except POE ships much faster to the east coast. I don't hate oregons, but I've worn out 2 even with my very sporadic cutting, so for the same price I'll go Total.

I'd never heard of those bars until I bought a 50 Rancher from the mid-'80s that had one on it, not much ink left, just the tsumura engraving. Bar looked trashed, but upon inspection was in pretty great shape despite some hard use (I think it came on an old Jonsered originally, guy had manuals and receipts from 49sp from 1981). Anyway, it's an odd size (.325 68DL, essentially 17") but I bought a few loops and use it regularly. Picked up a 20 as well. Plus, I won't have to cry over my loss if a tree decides it wants to ruin one.

My only issue with them is that they flex a lot compared to the Cannon. If they hold up like it I will switch over as my cannons wear out, they are just so much lighter and the flex does not seem to impede accurate cuts. It is nice that I went from a 24 to a 28 and the saw balances the same, or close to it. If someone made a bar as stiff as a Cannon and as light as a TSB light I would pay good money for it.

I always buy the Oregon's for $90 with the two chains from Baileys if I get an Oregon brand bad, still good. I have a 20 in Oregon I use on my 576 when I need it. I impulse purchased the Cannon and have been very happy with it. I think I have wore out one in the last two years though between my 2 saws. Not a lot of cutting really. Probably wore out 8 or 12 chains though. I have probably 20 loops of good chains and 8 or 10 safety chains I am rotating though. Running the oilers wide open seems to help with bar wear along with cleaning it twice a day when I change chains at lunch time and at the end of the day. Flip it both times.

I honestly figure that the bars are about the cheapest part of the equation so I never really worry about their cost. I enjoy cutting with a good bar so I pay up for it. For me, a bar costs the same 6 full work days worth of oil and gas costs (gal of bar oil per day at $12.75 and 2.5 gal of gas at ~$3.00 counting mix oil costs). Count in chains (go through a chain every 6 or 7 days, $12-$18), clutches (every 3 or 4 chains, $25), and all the rest they seem even cheaper. Id use lower oil settings but I really dont notice much more oil left at the end of the day in the jug. Maybe another 2 tanks worth, but not much. Rather run out of oil sooner then have to go wait on a good bar. My local saw shop guy knows next to nothing and is utterly unhelpful. And charges damn near $20 a gallon for bar oil!

MustangMike
Was up at the cabin for the WE with MechanicMatt and a friend of his, will need to catch up reading a few pages here when I get time.

We set up two more stands, saw grouse, a deer and a bald eagle, and hauled 2 Cherry and 3 Ash logs down to the cabin and got them all cut & split for winter fire wood. The new cabin (20 X 24 - 2 floors) is much bigger than the old cabin (12 X 20 - 1 + 1/3 floors) and that stove can consume a lot of wood on a cold night! The MS440 got a good workout and cut everything very quickly. The area has been logged, so nothing exceeds it's 20" bar, making it about the perfect saw. My one 044 is a little stronger, but I like having the compression relief to restart it after it is warm. Makes drop starting much easier IMO. With the mods I have done to it (no porting), it will out cut a stock 460.

Got rained out 3 separate times on Sunday, so no pics! But overall, I was pleased with what we accomplished. We saw a doe, and a lot of buck sign, so that bodes well for the season, we will see. There is really never a lot of deer up there, too many of the locals subsistence hunt, and they designated it an antler restriction area (min 3 points a side), which makes it all the more difficult. Not many deer up there make it to that age.

jr27236

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tenderfoot, why dont you buy your bar oil somewhere else. You can get the gal of Poulan b&c oil at walmart for $7, or even better @$6 at TS as stated., thats a huge savings compared to what your paying. Also you burn a clutch out every month?

VinceGU05

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
My tapatalk gave me the notification from vinces update:
"We MILKED the longer piece today" I was like " what " ???? Damn typo gave me a blond moment
Damn auto spell/correct, I just turned all that off becuase it was driving me crazy. NOW I CANT SPELL.
lol normally i proof read it. i guess i was a bit tuckered out last nite from the big day lol

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

ArboristSite Guru
Tenderfoot, why dont you buy your bar oil somewhere else. You can get the gal of Poulan b&c oil at walmart for $7, or even better @$6 at TS as stated., thats a huge savings compared to what your paying. Also you burn a clutch out every month?
Non stop bar buried in hardwood is tough on things. I go though a clutch DRUM every 6 or 8 months (I replace when I can see wear), actual clutch probably about every bar. I did not write that out accurately.

Also, refuse to support walmart or the big box stores. Offshoring labor and treating employees like trash is not a recipe for getting my money. Only willing to support local guys who treat their employees well. I get my bar oil from a guy who actually pays his employees more then $7.00/hr and it is reflected in his service. When I have the cash Ill buy a 55 gal drum and stop fussing with jugs.

Starting tomorrow I've got a couple of aspen that need bucking and may drop one more geriatric aspen into my cabin yard. Will be spending the next ten days up there getting ready for deer hunting opener on Saturday then hunting hopefully until I get something. A couple more hours on the brush saw as well to put the finishing touches on my trails.

I have three saws that need rings seated/reseated so I'll be rotating duties between the 241/550/272.

jr27236

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Also, refuse to support walmart or the big box stores. Offshoring labor and treating employees like trash is not a recipe for getting my money. Only willing to support local guys who treat their employees well. I get my bar oil from a guy who actually pays his employees more then $7.00/hr and it is reflected in his service. When I have the cash Ill buy a 55 gal drum and stop fussing with jugs.[/QUOTE]

In your situation with you using that much oil, I would think youd be able to find it at that rate (7-8) gallon, because of buying in large bulk. I get the not supporting Walmart and whole heartedly agree with supporting the local guy (if hes good of course) but if that local guy is charging you $12 per gal in bulk, I might rethink or negotiate a better price. Less daily running costs equal more money in your pocket for something better for you or your family.

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

ArboristSite Guru
You are right, but in CT where I live that is bulk pricing (case of 6) by me and shipping costs are so high given that it is hazmat. I need to work on insurance. Saving $4 a day (so for the year maybe $200-$240) on oil is peanuts compared to getting liability, workman's comp, and a truck insurance policy. Every month I pay out $600-$700 on insurance for just me, no employees. Firewood is a growing part of my business and what I am shifting my focus to, but my bread and butter is construction and landscaping. I need to bill $45-$50 a working hour this time of year to make money. If I spend an hour saving $40 it is a wash and Id rather be working.

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
Not a scrounge per say but a good chuckle for you all. Little lengthy.

Due to the mild winter last year, last years firewood leftovers were left under a tarp which happened to be a great environment for fungus and mold to grow. Most of it was crappy soft maple anyways but has some cherry too. I listed it for sale on facebook as good outdoor boiler wood that I didn't want. I received a message from a kid that wanted some, he lives about 45 mins north. I said sure, I'll even help ya load it, night or day didn't matter, come get it. Two younger guys (18-22?) show up with a big 4 door F350 diesel truck with a short flatbed. I hopped in my Chevy Traverse and took them down the road to the wood pile thats in the corner of my field. The firewood pile was closest to the entrance (which I should have told them) but I pulled in and drove around my log pile and pointed my lights on the pile from the other side. Well, they first managed to get stuck in 2WD trying to make it around the end of the wood pile. I hopped out of my car I run over and tell them its closest to the entrance and it would be easiest if they back out to the road and then backed in to the pile. Keep in mind, the ground was a little greasy but not muddy and they have good tires. He backs up two truck lengths and was too far to the side so he tries to correct and ends up way off the edge of my drive stuck (WTF, he was only 4-5 truck lengths off the road). I had to go get my 4x4 tractor and pull him out! The kid could not back that truck up for the life of him. As we loaded his truck they told me they were stationed at the base up north and were going to use the wood for a bon fire with his unit. They ended up taking about half a face cord in total. I had maybe 2 fc to get rid of an had it advertised as all for $40. I asked them what it was worth to them and he said $40, I said how about $20 but he said no $40 for it and because I got them out with the tractor lol. I didn't argue and had to direct him out since he still didn't back all the way out after I pulled him out. The funniest part is if he looked on craigslist he could have probably found split/seasoned firewood for $55 per F/C locally to him and skipped the 1.5 hour round trip!

Latest posts