Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a birch round pop apart violently on the splitter today. Sounded like a rifle crack and hit me in the taters so hard I had to lie down on the ground for awhile:D Be careful out there, folks! haha
I had my son helping me on my first splitter (homelite electric) and had one fire out to the side and catch him the the shin. That was pretty much the last time he helped me on that splitter. Now he runs the hydraulics on my big one, clear of any wood. He's a tough kid but the look on his face when that wood hit him was unreal. I felt terrible

This is just my opinion, but for a one man show if it cannot be cut reasonably with a 70cc saw it is too large to split and handle on your own without far to expensive equipment for average Joe. I was thinking I wanted a big (90cc) saw for a long time, but I just suddenly had filing 'click' with me and feel like my saw picked up another horsepower. And frankly, every dollar you don't spend on tools and equipment is another dollar in your pocket and another dollar you may need for an emergency later.

I will disagree after dealing with a big maple this year that took two cuts with the 28" bar on the 70cc saw. After making noodles and a bucking cut there wasn't anything that was unmanageable for me to get in the trailer or on the splitter. I can tell you that it would have been nice to make one bucking cut instead of two. A larger cc saw that could run a longer bar would have made it easier work. Again did I need more saw no but I sure did want one and considered calling my buddy with the MS 660 to help get the work done.

On a side note, I don't buy full priced saws. My 70cc 365xt was a bargain at $175. I would need a great bargain to buy another bigger cc saw. I have several hobbies I spend some money on and still put enough away for the emergency so I am not going to worry much about spending 200-300 on the next bargain saw I come across. Now that I know better I am still kicking myself for buying my first saw an ms271 at full price. I purchased a cs400 and the 365xt used for less than the price of the ms271.

But really it all comes down to balancing what you want versus what you need versus your means. Honestly I don't need the 4 saws and splitter that I already have but it is enjoyable to have the right tool for the job and not have to break the bank to do it.

Had a birch round pop apart violently on the splitter today. Sounded like a rifle crack and hit me in the taters so hard I had to lie down on the ground for awhile:D Be careful out there, folks! haha
I had a close call a couple of years ago that left a huge bruise when a round violently popped on me. Now when the splitter pauses and starts working hard on a round, I make sure I am behind the control lever. that way if the round pops I am out of the way.

By the way I hope the taters make a full recovery.

I had a close call a couple of years ago that left a huge bruise when a round violently popped on me. Now when the splitter pauses and starts working hard on a round, I make sure I am behind the control lever. that way if the round pops I am out of the way.

By the way I hope the taters make a full recovery.

Haha, I can't remember the last time I took a hit like that! I had a good laugh about it once I was able to stop crying:D

Had one do that but caught me in the inside of my left leg just above the ankle. Sat back on the tire until the pain went away. Wiped a tear from my eye and went back to splitting!

Load 2. Took us about 30 minutes to fill up the trailer by hand.

dff60d040f0a2da185464befdddf2479.jpg

sent from a field

I will disagree after dealing with a big maple this year that took two cuts with the 28" bar on the 70cc saw. After making noodles and a bucking cut there wasn't anything that was unmanageable for me to get in the trailer or on the splitter. I can tell you that it would have been nice to make one bucking cut instead of two. A larger cc saw that could run a longer bar would have made it easier work. Again did I need more saw no but I sure did want one and considered calling my buddy with the MS 660 to help get the work done.

On a side note, I don't buy full priced saws. My 70cc 365xt was a bargain at $175. I would need a great bargain to buy another bigger cc saw. I have several hobbies I spend some money on and still put enough away for the emergency so I am not going to worry much about spending 200-300 on the next bargain saw I come across. Now that I know better I am still kicking myself for buying my first saw an ms271 at full price. I purchased a cs400 and the 365xt used for less than the price of the ms271.

But really it all comes down to balancing what you want versus what you need versus your means. Honestly I don't need the 4 saws and splitter that I already have but it is enjoyable to have the right tool for the job and not have to break the bank to do it.
That sounds like way too much work for not enough pay off. If I cannot cut it comfortably with a 24 in bar, I wont bother to carry it home. If it comes to me, maybe I will deal with it when it is that size.

Great. I guess it's time to add a nut cup to the PPE inventory.

Hope you get better quick with no short term lingering issues.

I totally agree.:yes:

Agree 100%. We can generally get by with less but we will stay at it longer, with less effort, more safety, and more enjoyment if we gear up and work smarter. Excess is always possible and then we just call ourselves "enthusiasts". LOL

Latest posts

Back